TopSpeed Motorsports - New 2011 STI Project Car**

Discussion in 'TopSpeed Motorsports' started by Cicio@TopSpeed, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Everyone at TopSpeed is happy to announce the purchase of our most recent project car, a brand new 2011 STI.

Over the years TopSpeed has strived to stay on the cutting edge of what Subaru is doing. Along with what the aftermarket community has to offer, and the public wants. In 2004 we purchased one of the first STIs in the state and haven't stopped since. Not stopping there we have continued our development through the years with our 2005 STi and 2007 Limited projects. Then again in 2008 when the new hatch was released, we jumped right in and purchased one. Many of you may have followed the build on our 08 STi. That car ran the Ultimate Track Car Challenge and was on the cover of Grass Roots Motorsports magazine.

Needless to say we were very excited when Subaru announced the return of the STI sedan in 2011! The wheels immediately started turning here as we all sat down and began our plan of attack for the newest project.

We plan to build this project a little different then we did in 2008 with the hatch. With the 08sti build we dove in immediately with a built motor, rotated 35R, Cosworth FMIC, big StopTech brakes, coilovers, and tons of chassis work. While that car was a lot of fun, reliable and wickedly fast on track, it may not have been the most beneficial build for the community as a whole.

That being said we plan to develop our 2011 STi a little differently. We want to maximize the impact/help that this car can be to the community. While big turbos and huge brakes are cool we don't find that to be the mod path of 90% of our Subaru customers. We will focus the beginning of this build to help the majority of the Subaru community buy trying to extract the most bang for the buck.

Here are some pictures of the car as received 3 days ago with 3 miles on it.

Check back for updates regularly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. longfury

longfury Active Member

One item I will not be sorry to lose when I move from hatch to sedan is the clear tail lights. I love the look of the sedan. Your pictures actually make the car look good unlike the official Subaru pictures.

I look forward to seeing what you do.

3. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Lulz @ Subaru's Altezza tail light setup with the hatches.

4. b reel

b reel Active Member

I'm expecting a wet bar and gaming system in the trunk... with neons and strobes.

5. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Or a TV mounted to the bottom of the car, Xzibit style?

6. gotsol

gotsol Active Member

looks sinister in black. Good luck, I like the direction of this project.

7. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Waiting for the wider rims and 285 or 295 to go on. It'll look SICK!

8. superdoughboy4

What? Wrong. Mini TVs need to be mounted inside of the headlight housing, with an in-dash PS2.

9. crash#2

crash#2 Member

ha! rj devera style ( for those of you over 23)

10. b reel

b reel Active Member

with all that cubic footage under the car I guess you'll be lowering the car down some?

11. Jake

Jake Active Member

excited to see what you guys have in store!

12. Height adjustment is most certainly one of the first things we will address.

13. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'd say some JRZ's will be lowering it (or maybe not since many go a cheaper route)? Really excited to see the customer level build on this car!

14. WJM

WJM Banned

How long before CP pistons go in?
    Seems that good pads/lines/fluid is "good enough" for stock brembo brakes to handle power and track use unless you are Matt Ball.

15. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Majority of customers don't do built motor. So I bet they will keep it < 425 hp.

They aren't looking to build this into a beast.....we already know they can do it.

16. WJM

WJM Banned

I dont see much of a point of doing a "stage 2" or something around that unless they are going to pioneer new parts that is going to have massive gains on already established smaller turbos. Like an intake manifold that is cost effective and actually works. Same on the exhaust side.

Or perhaps, a "bolt on" E85 kit with as good as stock fuel economy with more of the power?

Suspension/handling development, thats a must.

17. b reel

b reel Active Member

can you run 2 cars in OLOA? Maybe just some simple bolt on mods (brakes & suspension), no engine mods and see if it can survive. Ball needs a vacation

18. WJM

WJM Banned

Maybe....

That'd be good. Stock powertrain and ECU, but with pads/fluid and suspension goodies and TYRES.

19. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

Ball's planning on running his own car in One Lap

20. Alex

So he'll finally be getting his chance to do it? I know he's been talking about with me for at least 3 years.

And I'd like to see suspension choice as well on this car. Here's my guess:

AST Monotubes
    Whiteline Front/Rear Sways
    KB Front/Rear Endlinks
    Cusco Rear Lateral Links
    Whiteline Control Arm Bracing
    Some sort of nice, high end, camber plate that's readily accessible -- Vorschlag perhaps?

Wheels? Something affordable yet useful in the 9.5" to 10" wide range.

Exhaust: Cobb catted turbo back -- Crowd favorite, readily available, American made

21. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I probably won't be doing oloa this year unless I find some serious funding.

Sucks to because the new car is stupid fast even on pump gas.

I think I could win Mid Priced Sedan in the 2011 with a 20GXT and a decent suspension setup.

Oh and Will Stock Brembos are fine on a stage II car....just not on anything else.

22. WJM

WJM Banned

Kinda the point I was beating around the bush at. :keke:

On another note, I think Top Speed should look into unequal double A-Arms up front and a solid rear axle for the STi. :naughty:

23. WJM

WJM Banned

Yes/No?

Guess not. :|

24. While the JRZ is an amazing suspension its going to be way overkill for this car. If this car does see track time it will not have a setup on it that will justify anything more than a set of KWs or something similar.

6-8 thousand dollar shocks on a Subaru that is anything less than a full blown track car is unnecessary in our book.

The car will be more than stage 2 as I agree that doesn't really help anyone does it.

You can run two cars, but with Doug in the GT-R there is really no point. If me and Matt wanna go we will take the M3 ;)

25. sharif@forged

sharif@forged Member

You could also consider the JRZ singles, which in the $3000 range. I agree the doubles and triples would be overkill. This is too nice of a car to turn into an uncomfortable track monster.

26. Alex

Agreed, however, do you not feel that the JRZ setups are out of reach or out of interest for the standard owner? I believe that's the intention of their specific build is it not? This is why I suggested TIC's custom valved AST's -- they're much more aligned with the average owner interested in a monthly track event if that.

27. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

I love JRZ's... and the fact that I get to deal with Bryan. But the KW gives you a double adj dampner for a good price. If I were to run any dampner it would have to be atleast a double adj.

28. tolnep

tolnep Member

i dont see how that is possible. i love e85, but it just takes more juice than gas.

how you gonna get more power out of a volume of fuel that has less energy?

29. b reel

b reel Active Member

high compression, it's like a diesel but with a sparkplug. 12.5:1

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  30. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

High compression or not it takes more E85 to make the same power. Doesn't mean its not good stuff but its not going to get as good as stock gas mileage.

31. b reel

b reel Active Member

sorry, got fun factor and fuel mileage confused

32. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Changed out the inlet pipe on the car, and splashed in some MS109oct unleaded.

22psi peak falling to 13.5psi at redline... silly stock turbo. Getting her ready for my quarter mile pass. Then I can begin to play with some other turbo options.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  33. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

If you don't crack 11's with that tq give me a call :rofl:

34. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Holy shit nice numbers

35. superdoughboy4

Holy shit those are crazy numbers.
    That's awesome.