New paint job teaser pic

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by gfred024, Feb 10, 2011.

1. gfred024

gfred024 Member

Love it or hate it. My new paint job should be picking it up today. Flat Black....
    [​IMG]

2. b reel

b reel Active Member

nice choice, wish I could do that to the wagon. Then it would match my truck and bikes

3. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

Loving it.

4. gfred024

gfred024 Member

Thanks! Should be picking it up in about 2 hours. Ill post some good pics later.

5. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Very nice!!!! I have thought about going flat WRB for the longest time.....

6. gfred024

gfred024 Member

Thanks, Yeah flat blue would be awesome!! Havent seen that before you should do it!

7. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

Looks nice. About how much does a decent paint job on a WRX go for? Also, what's the upkeep like on a flat black paintjob like that?

8. b reel

b reel Active Member

There's a flat blue widebody coupe running around here. Bryson at WagonWerx painted it last year.

9. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

[​IMG]

Here is an STI flat WRB it's sick

10. gfred024

gfred024 Member

Thanks, Well first off its not perfect. Kind of an experiment. I mean a real matte black paint job can cost thousands. So this cheap alternative cost me about $500 with some minor body work. Not sure what the upkeep is gonna be like yet. Im imagining its just like a normal paint job for the most part. It is a regular paint job with flatener added to the mix so we will see.

11. gfred024

gfred024 Member

I think I have seen this pic before. Pretty Sick!!

12. jesus888

jesus888 Member

$500?? did they spray the door sills, underside of the hood/trunk, etc?
    -s

13. Jake

Jake Active Member

i had all that done on my old honda including clear coat for $400 (didnt paint the hood, it was CF). other than a little overspray it was well worth the $400.

then again, if i had to paint a car again. i'd probably do it myself.

14. gfred024

gfred024 Member

Well the car was originally black just gloss so no we didnt paint all that, personally i dont care if the door sills, etc are OBP. But yeah i did a lot of the prep work and $500 is a good deal. Got all the dings and dents out and i like a jackass thought I could make it thru an apartment gate behind someone and it slammed on my roof, lol so thats fixed as well. But like I said its not perfect. I drive a subaru and i treat it as such. i take it camping, fishing, hunting, down dirt roads, light track days, etc... Im not looking for a show car. I needed a paint job and I love flat black.

15. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Hahah. Oh man. That's nuts. I'm always hesitant to try to tailgate and follow someone through those gates.

16. gfred024

gfred024 Member

Haha. i usually am too, I even had the gate code! WTF was i thinking? lol

17. jesus888

jesus888 Member

Cool... looking forward to more pictures :)

18. superdoughboy4

HAHAH! Bad choices. Lolol

19. Banana

Banana Member

Any better pictures yet? I like the preview shot, looks mean.

20. liltoua

liltoua Member

You should have just wrapped it in flat black 3M and save your paint (-_^)

21. gfred024

gfred024 Member

Got some good pics but having a hard time posting from my phone. Yeah couple bad choices.. Lol. Well there wasn't any paint to save really, the kid I got it from spray painted the front bumper and the gate messed it up pretty bad. Anyways it needed a paint job. Though I was thinking about wrapping it in realtree next winter just for shits and giggles.

22. gfred024

gfred024 Member

[​IMG]
    Alright heres one got more coming...

23. gfred024

gfred024 Member

24. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

dig the flat black, but i would've left the grilles / inside bumper a differ color (or painted a differ color) to give it some accents. Overall, like the flat black on the panels, though

25. gfred024

gfred024 Member

Thanks^ I'm painting the badges right now flat black stars with gray backgrounds. And the wheels are getting painted flat black today too. Hopefully I'll have it all put together and cleaned by Sunday.

26. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

So SICK! Just minus the decals everywhere and its hot. I am going to paint my car this color.

27. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

If I could do this ^ for $400 I would do it today.

28. Banana

Banana Member

wow that looks sweet. I need to see pics with the flat black wheels, I can't decide if I will like that yet or not.

29. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I don't understand why would they leave the lights on the car? It takes just as long to remove them from the front and rear as it does to tape them.

30. superdoughboy4

It also leaves room for error and probable accidental spraying.
    (Of course any reputable spray shop wouldn't make such a simple mistake as to not mask something properly that doesn't want to be painted. But anything could happen.)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  31. Alex

I'm not sure we can use the word reputable on this occasion. The flat looks nice in the pictures; it also masks a lot of defects you'd see in normal or even more complex paint (pearl, flake, etc). A proper paint job is going to set you back well more than 3,000.

Not hating on the OP's paint job, just adding conversation here.

32. gfred024

gfred024 Member

33. gfred024

gfred024 Member

Your absolutley right Alex. Yeah not sure why they didnt take the headlights off Ive had to wet sand them down and doing a restoration because of the overspray and such. But i will say the paint turned out decent and all the body work i needed is perfectly done had a couple bad dings and dents and the roof thing. Overall for the price Im happy. Its not a permanent thing tho Im digging the flat for now. Who knows what Ill do next year.

34. Alex

Awesome, but whats up with the drivers side headlight?

35. gfred024

gfred024 Member

Thats the one Im working on. Wet sanded it last night gonna polish it up tonight.

36. Jake

Jake Active Member

that plastix stuff works great for things like that. i had all kinds of leftover sticker residue that was almost a year old and you could clearly see the outlines of the old stickers left on the motorcycle (all fairings are plastic), and i just used an applicator pad and that plastix stuff and the bike literally looks brand new. took out all the boot scuffs and lots of small scratches as well. thought about using a mini powerball, but tried the pad first and that was good enough for me

37. Alex

Awesome. Most of the time you need the heat generated by the friction of the PC or other random orbital to cut through that kind of thing.

38. Jake

Jake Active Member

well i did use a LOT of elbow grease, haha. and i will more than likely do it again to get some spots i noticed i missed

39. gfred024

gfred024 Member

Yeah i picked up the mequires kit. Its got the sand paper 1000 grit and a 3000 grit, cleaner and polish. I got all the bs off and now just need to polish it up. hopefully it turns out good. Will post pics tmrw...

40. dragonle87

dragonle87 New Member

Planning to do Flat Black?

41. fourdegrees

fourdegrees Member

Interesting. Has anyone tried the matte vinyl raps?