Opinions on which turbo to buy? or setup to reach my goals?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by bullitt5897, Feb 7, 2011.

1. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Andy, you just have to realize that coolbimmer is the head cheerleader for TopSpeed:) Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just sayin.

2. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yup and for good reason.

3. integroid

I hear it is from you not caring about getting a reach around:)

I kiiiiid:)

4. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Bwahahahahahaha. You Korean ahsole.

5. bullitt5897

bullitt5897 Member

hahaha yall are nutz!

6. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

You will learn quickly it's all in good fun ;)

7. Yeah, your right. We need to all chip in and buy him a red and white too-too and some palm-palms and have a picture of Dougs' face screen printed on the chest. That is what we need to do.:)

8. integroid

Now that was offensive...especially since I am not Korean

But I do love me some all you can eat Korean BBQ

9. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You are also a movie star!!!!!

10. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Well I was ill informed by another member.....

And you know that I'm joking....:rofl:

11. integroid

I still dont see how I look like the guy from the hangover. That is one funny asian though:)

12. integroid

I know you are:)

13. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

You look nothing like that dude.

Woah totally off subject here.....lets resume talking about turbos and options.

14. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Turbos = more horse power.
    Bigger = even more HP, more lag.
    Smaller = less HP, less lag.

gg back on topic.

15. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

I like turbo's.... turbo's are good.

16. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Interesting picture of the difference between the bearings of the EFR (top) vs the Garret (bottom)

[​IMG]

Some notes from Geoff at Full Race who was pretty integral in helping give input on design of these turbos:

turbine wheel:
    EFR titanium alloy -- lighter weight, lower rotational inertia, latest generation blade aero, faster spool/response
    VS
    garrett/hks inconel -- strong at high temps, good aero for its time, heavier than ti obviously. note: inconel material used for borgwarner S300SX airwerks series turbos

ball bearing:
    EFR ceramic ball bearing use high-end ceramic balls, m50 races, and metal bearing cages. Bearing cages are also plated with silver (to prevent galling)
    VS
    Garrett/HKS -- stainless steel balls with plastic bearing cages

17. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

this has been one of the most beneficial discussions within the community in a long time.

:clap:

18. Doug@DBW Motorsports

larger bearing surfaces means they will see higher surface speeds... not sure if thats a good thing our not with a turbo that spink 80k rpms

19. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Agreed! I definitely goes over some of the larger turbo options for future consideration.

20. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Not sure if it is a larger bearing surface or just a sturdier cage. We have not dissected the bearings yet and hopefully won't have to.

21. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Yea guess time will tell. I for one hope the EFR turbo is sick.. its been a long time since any of the turbo makers have come out with something new and out of the box.

22. integroid

Wouldn't that also mean better dissipation of heat sincethere is more surface area?

23. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

At the same boost levels yes. But generally the larger turbos are meant for more boost. Most of those borg warners are built for 40+ psi. Not many street cars can do that. Now those diesel trucks is whole nother ball game.

More boost, more pressure, higher turbo rpm speeds.

24. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Since they are all oil and water cooled I think it would have little effect.

25. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Larger ceramic balls in the bearing would also mean each ball would be rotating slower though. For each shaft rotation the bearing would be rotating slower. But it is my understanding that the shaft is riding on a cushion of oil. Again, just supposition as I have not seen the bearing internals.

As for the pressure ratio for these turbos, they start really coming alive around 20 psi or so. That is where they really start to shine. To make 400-450 you will be using at least 20 psi unless you are using a great deal of timing to try to make up and compensate for lower pressure ratios.

26. bullitt5897

bullitt5897 Member

Going to topspeed at lunch today for an off the shelf tune and to also have something checked out.

27. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Hopefully Ill be up there by then.

I just pulled my current kit off my car and Cicio ordered me a GTX30R. I'm really looking forward to getting it on the car.

28. integroid

I was talking about the bearings...not the turbo itself.

29. bullitt5897

bullitt5897 Member

I didnt see ya up there.... or did I?:coolugh:

Anyways! Thanks to Cicio and Doug!!! Great Customer Service!!! Doug help me find the coupler that came off and put it back on for me. The new tune is sooooooo much smoother! Insane how the car just makes more power from down low and how smooth it carries all the way up to 6000rpms! Your butt dyno would say it feels like you lost power until your eyes watching the speedo tell you your gonna get a ticket! The car is completely smooth now and I already noticed my MPG's were going up! :clap: thanks again Cicio and Doug!!!

30. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Awesome to hear. They definitely know their stuff.

31. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

You didn't, sounds like I just missed you. Glad you are happy with the flash.

Doug can work some magic for sure.

32. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Grats!

33. Doug@DBW Motorsports

No problem man... Just get a DP on there and we can do a custom map for you on the dyno next time. It will be night and day difference, factory downpipe is the most restrictive piece in your exhaust right now.

34. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Amazing how much better even stage 1 can be over stock.