Help Me Pick a Compooter!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by K. Marx, Feb 15, 2011.

1. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Yes, the typo was on purpose.

Please, help me out folks. I've decided to post this here because I KNOW there are some serious techno gurus on this board.

I've been thinking about replacing my PC, and low and behold, I came home yesterday to discover that our computer is apparently fried... it won't even turn on. (I refuse to comment on any possible reasons for the computer's sudden death other than age. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.)

I'm not upset- it's a six year old E-Machine piece of crap. Still, I just don't know a whole lot about computers, and was wondering if some of you could help me select a decent computer for my needs, and possibly point me to the best place to buy it. Anyway, here's what I'm looking for:

- Something that can run basic office programs without issue
    - Decent memory for music storage(I'm thinking 4GB should be okay?)
    - Desktop is okay, laptop is a plus (I've been thinking about doing the opensource thing with my car)
    - Not worried about a monitor or speakers, as what I have is fine
    - CD burner would be nice
    - I would like to spend $500 or less.

I'm not really a computer gamer, so nothing fancy is needed in terms of graphics or anything like that.

Comments or suggestions? Looking to buy ASAP, so it would be nice if it wasn't a case where I'd buy and have to wait six weeks to get it.

Looking forward to any assistance you might be able to offer!

- "K. Marx"

2. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

3. nygiant

nygiant Member

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

microcenter has some great deals on off-lease computers. I would check them out

www.microcenter.com

5. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

It must be computer season or something. If all else fails, I am sure you'll find PC parts showing up in the garage sale sooner or later. I may be in the minority here, but it's hard to beat the good ol' Dell at your price point.

7. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

I really appreciate everyone's input!

I noticed there is a Microcenter up in Marietta... I think I might try and go up there to check out some of the refurb stuff and look at some of the new deals. Looks promising.

The other links are helpful as well. I've been cruising Newegg a bit.

As for Dell, I think that's a valid point, and it's very tempting. My place of work told me I might be able to get some kind of educator discount through them, so that would be a definite plus as well.

Whaddaya think of this one?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-570/pd?oc=dddobh1&model_id=inspiron-570

8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Newegg had an awesome shell shocker deal that I jumped on for $260.

Not available anymore but keep checking the shell shocker deals. You will have to load your own OS but that's easy and better than that bloated already loaded deals you get.

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

10. Matt

11. superdoughboy4

The specs for that aren't bad.
    It's better than some eMachine or Toshiba Shitallite.

12. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

13. superdoughboy4

I've never actually used any of their PCs. Lol.
    I only know them for their HDDs. Though from a lot of reviews given, they don't seem to be reliable.

And I knew HP should be high on that list. I hate their crap.
    I hate their desktops. I hate their printers. OISDFU()W#%)($%

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I know Acer isn't the best but I have several family members with their laptops and they are rock solid for day to day use on the normal household.

The OP himself stated he wasn't looking for something all powerful and top of the line. For the money and his needs it fits the bill.

15. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Value usually implies the ability to last as well :)

16. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I understand.....and the ones I speak of have lasted well now.

17. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

18. Matt

yeah, that's pretty decent for the money.

19. superdoughboy4

Gateway blows too. The only really decent mainstream companies are Asus, Dell, and that's about it. Maybe even Toshiba, from that chart/survey nsvwrx posted.
    HP is horrible and I'm tired of their crappy cases. Gateway, eMachines, and Compaq are all branched from each other if I'm not mistaken, and are nothing but trouble makers.

BUT, the specs on the Gateway for that price is a STEAL. Get it. Make sure you get rid of the recovery partition and boot your own copy of Windows.

Oh and Lenovo is a good company too.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  20. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Decent specs but I simply hate Gateway and had nothing but issues with them.

21. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

^^^
    Glad ya'll at least sort of approve of it (in terms of specs) because, um, I bought it. In fact, my mom and dad have been hurting for a computer, so I bought them one too.

Sounds odd, I know, but I was at work talking/shopping around with a couple of guys in our tech department, and when they saw it they were like "you just aren't going to do much better than that in your price range," so I went for it.

They were adamant that I pay a few extra bucks and get an extended warranty, so I did do that much. My friends have had good experiences with Gateways, but they're kind of like me... they don't ask a whole lot of the computer, and don't know that much. Hopefully my (and my parents') experience will be the same.

22. superdoughboy4

That's good that you got the extended warranty. Hopefully Gateway, or TigerDirect won't ask you to bend over whenever a big problem occurs and you want to send it in.

23. ghionw

ghionw Member

I think Gateway bought out eMachines several years back and HP bought Compaq.

Dells are usually your best bang for the buck at that price point. If you have you own OS and software, best bang for your buck is to have a fiend help you build one for the low low..

24. Matt

the only 'issue' I see with that is VGA only. :blech:

25. ghionw

ghionw Member

A simple VGA to DVI adapter fixes that issue...

26. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Going from VGA to dvi is a lot harder than DVi to VGA.

Analog to digital isn't easy.

27. superdoughboy4

Yeah. There's no point in going VGA to DVI... Lol.
    Just get yourself a cheap dedicated Radeon and boom. DVI.

28. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

I doubt he has a strong enough PSU in that box

29. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

You mentioned the EDU discount -- I'd go ahead and just have an order placed through your work then with Dell and save some bones. It will be more than enough for your needs and come with a "call this number to bitch at someone" warranty that you cannot really complain about. To put this into perspective, I'd vote the Dell as a base-model Impreza and 2thache's "this is where I grind after I grind on your teeth" machine as the Type-25 STI.

30. superdoughboy4

Wow. You're right. I didn't realize that a lot of the "newer" low profile cards require at least 300W.
    Aka does not fit the bill of wattage to that 300W in the Gateway.

31. techlord

techlord Active Member

take your pick, it is hardware ONLY with a valid COA on it so it can be loaded and I can do it for some extra but as easy as it is you should load the OS yourself...

HP Compaq DC7600 - $110
    HP Compaq DC7700 - $135
    HP Compaq DC7800 - $170

all of the above come with 1gb of memory, 160GB hard disk, and all other standard options listed on their website.

EDIT:
    integrated video only. I can get more ram/ video etc for tiny amounts more.
    lmk

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  32. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Any dual core processors?

33. techlord

techlord Active Member

7600 is a Dual Core
    the 7700 is a core 2 duo

WE HAVE NO 7800's at this time just sold out.

34. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

sent ya a text

35. Jake

Jake Active Member

might get in touch with you in a few weeks rick. i want to build a home computer, possibly hackintosh. (my friend is becoming mac certified, cocoa, blah blah. and i will probably be buying a new macbook soon.)

36. techlord

techlord Active Member

7700 is a real good deal and take your time as we have 3000 of them. lol

Also let it be known - These are USED pc's and I purchase at these prices for fam and friends. They are sold AS IS. CASH ONLY (you pay me paypal and fee's I pay the cash).
    been down the road before so if you want one i need your money before I purchase.

37. superdoughboy4

110$ for an HP? That's about what all HPs should be worth if not free.
    That's a pretty good price for them though.

38. techlord

techlord Active Member

Care to elaborate my friend? Since the mid 90's I estimate we have deployed and supported several million desktops in an enterprise environment. IT IS NOT EVEN CLOSE...HP is a MUCH better ROI than all the rest.

39. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

The business level PC are a totally different level and ballgame than the regular consumer level doughboy.

40. superdoughboy4

I don't actually own an HP, nor have I ever.
    However, a lot of my friends do. And after a little while, all they have is problems.
    On multiple occasions, I've had to fix a notebook of a friend, and they take care of their stuff. But some how some way, the notebook all of a sudden decides to not POST or anything. So in a matter of maybe 1.5-2 years, the notebook dies.
    Desktops, most of them if I remember correctly, all I really had to do was back up the persons data and then format it.
    I guess my gripe is really about their notebooks. But how they set up their "recovery" partition is annoying.

Not just with HP, but most, if not all desktop manufacturers, I made the mistake of installing an OS on my desktop and then moving the HDD over to the desktop, only to find the BIOS hates that I did that and refuses to run. But, of course, it's a simple fix.

Yeah, I realize that. I thought these were consumer level PCs.
    There's probably a lot less room for error when a PC is used strictly for business/sold to the business crowd.

41. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

All consumer level PC's. Techlord is talking business level which is a totally different animal.

42. superdoughboy4

Oh. Lol. Okay. Then I guess the 2nd half of my response still stands. More about how it's used due to such a different setting.

43. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

No it doesn't still stand. I use my business laptop (which is a HP btw) a whole lot harder than the one at one which purely is gaming/browsing.

Here at work I'm maxing it out constantly when regression testing some of our programs.

44. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Just wanted to say thanks again for all of the advice, guys. I also appreciate you giving some other options, Techlord.

Y'all might have noticed in post 21 I did end up purchasing the Gateway I posted the day before yesterday :).

Shipping was ridiculously fast- it got here yesterday (apparently it only had to ship from Doraville). Started mine and the one I got for my parents last night, and they both booted up sans issue. Hopefully they'll hold up fine. I'll work on getting mine set up the way I want it this evening.

That being said, My father in law needs something for just basic internet cruising and document storage. I may direct toward him something like Techlord is offering... not sure what he is wanting to spend. Not much, I'm sure.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  45. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Do you have an OS? If so or even if not you can't beat Techlord deals.

46. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

^^^

You'll have to forgive me, as when I say that I'm computer retarded, I'm not kidding.

What is an OS?

47. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Operating System. AKA Windows XP, Windows Vista (yuck), Windows 7, Linux etc

48. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Ohhhhh.... I see. The Gateway I have is preloaded with windows seven.

I *think* that if I were to get one from Techlord, I could get work to load it up with Windows XP (I think that's what all of our computers are running), but I'll have to double check. They can be a little weird about that kind of thing; sometimes you've gotta talk to the right person on the right day.

Am I making sense?

49. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yup. Even then it's like $60 for a legal copy of windows 7. So at $170 for a loaded PC you can't go wrong. I would up the ram another gig at least (I'm going for 4 gigs). Still can't beat that deal from techlord if you already have a monitor and such for purely internet browsing.

50. superdoughboy4

Oh... Lol.
    Nevermind then.
    I don't know. I just don't have any good experiences with HP.
    But then again, they were never mind, and were always my friends' who weren't exactly too PC savvy.