Help me choose the right coil overs and struts.

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by mattprzy, Feb 7, 2011.

1. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

So I have a bent strut. Instead of just replacing that single strut with a new factory one, I decided I'd like to get 4 new struts, and 4 new coil overs.

I know NOTHING about suspension. I don't track my car, and my budget is 2k. Is that enough? Looking for something for my 2002 wrx sedan.

I'm probably going to do the labor myself as well (except for the alignment after the install).

2. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Buy a set of BC coilovers there around a $1000 for the set and call it a day....

3. Jake

Jake Active Member

if you dont track your car or have any use for adjustability than coilovers are a waste of money you could just get some nice KYB (even the non-adjustable ones) struts and a nice spring setup.

4. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Why do coilovers on a car you never intend to track. Why not spend half the cost of the BCs and get a set of Koni or KYB Adjustable Struts that will be more comfortable for a daily driver, yet still be an improvement over stock, and again for about $400 for the set.

5. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

I run coilovers just so I can slam my car.... But that is just me i'm different then most.LOL :rofl:

6. Jake

Jake Active Member

well if thats the ONLY reason you want coilovers, i still wouldn't spend $1000 on BC's thats not what they were intended for. just get the cheapest ebay coilovers and keep them at stock height for DD and then slam them when you want

7. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I agree, if you dont plan on tracking the car or want to adjust the height, I would just get a set of new KYB struts and some nice springs.

8. jeb

jeb Member

I have KYB's, springs and sways on mine and couldn't be happier with the set up as a DD.

9. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

I don't want some shitty a$$ ride....

10. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I agree...once you have driven on some shitty coil overs you will appreciate the better ones. Spending $400 on ebay coil overs to slam your car is just throwing money away. Give it to me and I will cut your springs for ya:)

11. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

buy my suspension. one of the nicest strut combos without having to break the bank

edit: even if you don't, I'll take the factory setup off your hands either way

12. jesus888

jesus888 Member

What you got?

13. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

check my WTT thread

14. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

You guys aren't compatible unfortunately. However, the OP should consider nicad's Tokicos -- definitely money well spent.

15. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

Thanks for the responses. I just wanna be able to take some curves quickly. Again, not tracking it.

So now the suggestion than is to get springs and struts, and forget coil overs! I already have some tien springs on there, but they lower the car and from what i read, actually don't improve turning at all.

I like the look of the lowered car, but I suppose I don't really care about ride height. What matters to me is turning better.

16. Alex

Take a ride with nicad's setup and be sure to bring cash with you as you'll be buying them from him when you get back from the test drive :)

17. b reel

b reel Active Member

Nicad's is the way to go

18. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I have 04 Group N tophats... it should work fine for mine to go in his car. RSConvert is getting me a set of stuck bugeye struts afaik

19. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

+1. OP shoot me an email if you want a test ride

justin @ justingarrison.net

20. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

++++ on nicad's suspension setup. Where else can you get a chance to test drive a suspension setup before you buy and get it put on by this weekend? ;)

21. Alex

I was referring to Jesus's 2005 STi. The lower hub assembly changed from 2004 (along with that bolt pattern) and the WRX suspensions will not fit in the rear.

22. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

now the question is which website do I buy the new springs and struts from? and wheels too.

23. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

see what some of the local vendors can get you.

importimageracing.com has a lot of stuff, as does turninconcepts.com

of you could buy nicad's stuff and be done a lot easier.

24. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

goddamnit test drive my setup and just buy it already

25. Matt

hell, the man even posted that he would swap them onto your car for you. That's a helluba deal right there.

26. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

what.

27. Matt

wth... :|

28. RSConvert

hell-a-uba: This phrase is used as an intensive to emphasize certain qualities about the noun it modifies. By itself the idiom is ambiguous, for its exact meaning depends on the context. For example, He is a hellauba driver can mean either that he is very skillful or that he is a terrible driver

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  29. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

haha

30. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

I don't have cash. I'm doing it on a credit card.

31. RSConvert

Cash Advances Welcomed = :sold:

32. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

Bought some knoning feathers in gold
    some kyb adjustable struts
    some h and r springs
    and some rear camber bolts.

thanks for the help! :D

33. yerrow

yerrow Active Member