Time for a clutch on the STI...

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by WRboXer, Feb 16, 2011.

1. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Well its time for a clutch on the STI. I was originally planning on just replacing with an OEM clutch and maybe a lighter weight flywheel. Heres the kicker, a 20gxt may very well be in the cars future with a very mild tune ~350-360whp.

-I know the stock STI clutches are good, will a stock clutch be ok for this whp/wtq range?

-If not, are there people modifying the OEM PP to hold more tq (If i can go this route, can I stick with an OEM disc?)?

-Or would an aftermarket disc with a OEM PP be a good option?

If none of the above is a good option, what would your suggestion be? I am trying to stay as OEM as possible, I dd this car in Ga 400 work traffic 5 days a week. I am trying to avoid significantly added pedal pressure and/or a harsh engagement.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SCH-I500 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I think the OEM would hold. If you're on a budget I've got an oem disc and pp for sale. Otherwise, I'd start saving for an act setup.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2011
  3. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

OEM should be good if you wanted something that will be 100% a act street disk and pressure plate would be the way to go, very little extra pedal pressure but more holding power for sure.

From what I've seen lately with Doug tuning a conservative tune on a 20GXT at 18lbs is netting about 380whp. Its a great setup, one of the few stock location turbo setups that I think is worthwhile.

4. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

The 20gxt is a sick turbo for what it can do. OEM clutch and PP will be just fine. Many out there with 400+ tq and hp on stock clutches.

As long as you aren't doing clutch dumps it'll hold just fine.

5. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Matt, do you know of anyone going with an ACT street disc with a OEM pp.

I remember my ACT HD on my wagon thinking that there was a pretty significant bump in pedal pressure, it sucked at 6:30AM driving the full length of GA400 in nothing but stop and go.

So lets say you had made your mind up to stick with OEM PP, would you do an OEM disc or mix and match with an ACT street disc.

And 380whp on a conservative 18psi tune? Shit. I dont think my car will be making that given a catted/quiet exhaust on a stock 04 top mount with an ARC airbox(not sure if the ARC is worth a damn or not).

6. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Honestly if it was my daily and I wasn't going to take it to the drag strip I would just put a oem clutch in it. The oem clutch drives really nice. The act disk would probably work fine with a oem pressure plate but I've never driven a car setup like that.

That 380 was through a factory topmount I don't remember if the car was catted, as far as I know the arc boxes flow just fine so I'm sure your car will make good numbers with a 20GXT.

7. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Agreed -- the added feedback from the ACT is welcomed, but the first gear crawl in stop and go is more of a pain that its worth sometimes.

8. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

my oem held to 390wtq before it started slipping. However, I didn't notice that much of a pedal difference in pressure when I went with a 6-puck sprung, just a difference in engagement...it was more like a light switch.

9. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Swine, the ACT street disc and HD PP isnt that bad at all. I have the Extreme PP and I dont think it is bad at all in traffic with the street disc.

10. UpSideDownDesi

UpSideDownDesi Active Member

I am at 380whp and 395wtq. Stock clutch is holding just fine.

11. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Dang was wondering if you were still alive :)

12. stimanmark

stimanmark Member

I have a 2004 STi with "an older oe clutch" as i was told from the guy i bought the car from. The only mods i have are OE style flanged 3" catless downpipe, weld on muffler and trust cone filter.....anyhow i am having slipping issues in 4th and 5th but anyother gear doesnt seem to slip at all. I was thinking of going with a Centerforce dual friction..and just reserfaced OE flywheel....the centerforce im looking at is rated at 90% holding power over OE. Is that overkill? yes they are pricey but i fully believe in do it right the 1st time. Thoughts/experience please

13. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

ACT Street Disc with HD Pressure Plate. I don't know anyone with a Subaru that has a centerforce in their car so I wouldn't want to give it a try.

14. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Stock clutch and flywheel. Because you don't need anything else and it's cheaper, otherwise act hd for sure.

15. stimanmark

stimanmark Member

Ive had a centerforce in my other car and absolutly LOVED it! easy OE throw and grip like hell.....and has lasted forever....and i wasnt easy on it lol