Best places to shoot and shop for guns

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ej20 Devil, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Ej20 Devil

Ej20 Devil Member

Hey guys, as some of you may know, I'm pretty new to Atlanta. I find myself in need of some friendly advice, so where better to ask than my local suby forum. Here goes:

Since moving from FL a few months ago I haven't shot my guns or taken the time to research local gun shops and ranges. (all i do is work, work & work...) I was wondering what everyone's favorite place to shoot and shop for handguns is here in Atl. I'm in midtown and looking for a friendly and professional atmosphere. I would only be shooting handguns jic. Just like I did in FL, I don't mind driving a bit or paying more if it's worth it. I take this hobby pretty seriously, so if you could steer me in the right direction or also where not to go, it would definitely be a great start.

p.s. I'll be attending the allpro sale this sunday as well as the bi-weekly meet @ fellinis to finally start meeting some of you guys!

2. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

when I shoot indoors (which I try to not do very often) I always go to the GA Firing Line (formerly Ed's Guns, then Nicks). Place has improved pretty significantly since the newest name change.

there is a new range in sandy springs that I haven't had a chance to check out yet, but have heard good things.

for buying, 07ltd#767 just picked up a new Sig from Adventure Outdoors on S. Cobb

3. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

Moving targets? I got some neighbors that are prob ruining my property value.

4. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

There is a gunshow somewhere every weekend. That's the best place to shop. Just google eastman gun shows georgia for the list. As far as places to shoot...princess will only go to Nick's, but there are about 4 in the area depending on how far you want to drive. I've only been to Creekside out by Cartesville for outdoor, but some of the members have plenty of land to shoot on.

For moving targets, I hear :rofl: APG! likes to frequent the Tuesday night dinner meets. Just look for the kid that drives a mazda and apparently laughs out loud a lot. Shoot first and ask questions later. Rofllololollulzlawlbbqwtf!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  5. techlord

techlord Active Member

^^lulz
    adventure outdoors for sales, Smyrna police dist has incredible prices on 4th gen glocks but if not military or police you have to get the $35 glock club membership.

6. STillGruven

STillGruven Member

I like American Classic Marksman in Norcross. 18 bucks or so per person for all day. Go in the AM shoot a bit and then come back in the evening and shoot some more. Don't forget Bullseye in downtown Lawrenceville for fully automatic rentals! Bring lots of cash for the ammo!!!

7. slade1274

slade1274 Member

[​IMG]

8. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

Sandy Springs Gun club is the new one in Sandy Springs. Tom Lowe Shooting Grounds is great for trap and skeet. We should do a WRXATLANTA shootout at one of those just so we can all meet and greet.

9. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

American marksman isn't bad. $16 for all day as stated above. $12 if you get there between 11-2. Trigger time in flowery branch is real nice, but maybe kind of far for you. $12 to shoot all day there. The RK and Eastman shows really aren't all that anymore. Local shops have better deals. Check out theoutdoorstrader.com. Nice little forum that is mostly local, and have a classifieds section.

10. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

most indoor ranges also sell guns, you can get some pretty good deals if you're patient and talk to the workers

my deal couldn't be passed up...needs some massive trigger work, but other than that I got a brand new sig for less than $400

11. b reel

b reel Active Member

Parking lots of those shows are where it's at.

12. Ej20 Devil

Ej20 Devil Member

Wow! Thx for all the replies! The meet and greet at a shooting range sounds like a great idea!!!

07, more info on the sig?

13. John

John Active Member

Ive bought from Adventure Outdoors a few times. They have some pretty knowledgeable people over there, and fair prices. Their selection of pistols is the best in the Atlanta area that I've found so far.

For ranges, I don't care to shoot indoors much. I have a friend with a decent chunk of land in Paulding county that I shoot on.

14. Max Q

Max Q Member

Adventure Outdoors has okay prices. Don't try to get any "gunsmithing" done there.

Wild West Traders has good folks and a nice pistol range.

-Brett

Edit: Oh, hey Ivan!

15. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

He just picked up a sig p2022 in 9mm for around $ 380.

16. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

9mm...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

17. John

John Active Member

so you're one of the ones that laughs at 9s? Let me guess, you have a 1911 don't you??!! haha

the difference on a living target between .38 special, .357mag, 9mm, .40, and .45 isn't enough to really matter (if you carry for defense). I read something that the FBI did a few years back about this, I'll see if I can dig it up.

9mm is an excellent choice. Most 9mm pistols have manageable recoil for smaller people or people with smaller hands. As well, 9mm is CHEAP and plentiful.

18. b reel

b reel Active Member

And why have most if not all police departments moved away from the 9mm?

19. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

20. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

It doesn't have enough stopping power.
    A .45 will probably stop the person in one blow, whereas the 9mm will take multiple shots.

21. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

I could take you down with a .22

It all depends on the shooter.

22. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

Here he is

[youtube]0T1cjuu4mf4[/youtube]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  23. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

Forgot to mention, Budsgunshop.com Usually has good deals, even with the FFL fee they are typically cheaper then most shops around.

Dana Safety Supply in Buford is a nice lil place also.

24. ghionw

ghionw Member

I have been to American Classic Marksman a few times and it isn't bad.
    There seems to be a Gun and knife show at the Gwinnett fair grounds every few weeks. You can check that out for decent prices.

25. Ej20 Devil

Ej20 Devil Member

I'm gonna check out adventure outdoors today to do a little price comparison.

p.s. Hey Brett! How are the friendly skies treating you :) I'm having a blast working on the big birds!

26. tolnep

tolnep Member

this is silly. 9mm hollow points, say gold dots are plenty. will get it done as will 38+p (dont ask me how i know). 45 may be marginally better but a double stack nine is good enough with the right ammo. the jacketed 9mm ammo sucks. lots of comparisons 45 to 9mm was to 9mm jacketed.

if you are really concerned get a ruger 454 alaskan or a 50 cal deagle. designed for dinosaurs and bears, should be enough for you common homo sapient.

or just get a pump 12. rack that sucker and the perp will have a heart attack.

and dont ask me abou the judge....

ETA, adventure outdoors has the best selection. gun shows are notorious for the suck on prices. join some gun forums with local sub forums, find someone local that is a FFL as a second job and you will get the best prices and service.

27. John

John Active Member

Ive seen first hand what jhp 9mm rounds will do to a living being.

9mm is pleanty for defense.

What I was saying is between .38special and .45 there is not enough of a difference between them to really matter. The difference on a human body between the rounds is slim to none.

IMO .45 is a poor choice for a carry weapon. With that being said, it may fit others better then me....but I can get follow up shots faster and more accurate with most 9mms then I can with most .45s. Not to mention cost and availibility of ammo

Sent from my Android powered HTC HD2

28. superdoughboy4

What I said was something that I've been hearing. It's not my opinion or anything.
    I don't have enough experience with firearms to have a real say.
    I just wanted to see what you guys were gonna say about that.

29. John

John Active Member

Lol ok. Well from experience,9mm is enough

30. Max Q

Max Q Member

Things are good. Glad to hear you're liking the new job! Word is, we just lost something like 50 A&P's to Delta. :eek3: :rofl:

Count me in for range meet.

31. b reel

b reel Active Member

so in the end what your saying is that a hollow-point 45ACP will do the most damage if comparing common calibers?

32. Ej20 Devil

Ej20 Devil Member

I say we try it an discuss it over a range meet!

33. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

I'd have to say a 9mm can go so far and take someone down. Enough of it and you're toast. Bu what about those meth addicts or crackheads? You need a bit more take down power for those crazy folks. I've seen and heard from the local pd. Some prefer bigger than 9mm. One or two shots is all it takes.

34. b reel

b reel Active Member

If most shootings are within 15 feet then I'm looking for knock down power. If the fucker is wearing a vest, trust me, three well placed rounds center mass with a 45 is going to really fucking hurt. Gives me a fighting chance to get a real gun or GTFO...

35. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Fixed.

36. John

John Active Member

if you want knockdown power get a Remington 870 or a Taurus Judge lol

Like I had said before, each person has their own preference. I like 9mm because its easier to control in raapid firr, ammo is cheap, wider selection of weapons, etc. The loss of "knockdown power" between 9 and 45 isnt enough to matter imo. I trust any round between .38special - .45acp to do its job. 9mm just happens to be what fits me best. And on the topic of vests, not many wear them....but if someone was any round center mass will hurt like hell... aand if youre within 15 feet most rounds will penitrate basic body armor

37. superdoughboy4

lulz

38. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

did I already miss the pointless caliber arguing?

39. Max Q

Max Q Member

Indeed. Outdoor rifle range would be preferable. It would be nice to get the Model 94 .444 Marlin out and stretch her legs a little.

40. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

If I remember correctly, black talon bullets were the teflon coated tips that were cop killer bullets. Those were able to penetrate through vests..9mm. Can't remember if you can get those anymore. It's been a while since I've bought ammo. 50k rounds of it :)

41. Jake

Jake Active Member

black talon's are illegal. dont get caught with them

42. John

John Active Member

Yeah the "cop killer" rounds were outlawed quite some time ago.

Any fmj round is capible of getting through basic body armor. Jhp rounds have a little more teouble getting through, but if youre close enough the will

43. tolnep

tolnep Member

nope. not in georgia. i have a box of black talons 9mm that ive had for years. black bullets, hollow points the tips are like a saw. and way over hyped. gold dots are good enough. and probably better in actual use.

i also have some old 38+p with 'exploding' tips. the tips have a large primer glued into the hollow point.

there are are rounds very similar to black talons. check out PDX1s.

like i said, looking for 'knock down' power in a pistol cartridge, look into the ruger alaskan 454 casul, 480 ruger. designed as a pack pistol for alaska against brown bears and kodiaks, it should be good enough for you average urban predator.

very unlikely to run into perps with body armor unless you are a armored car driver or a bank employee. then you want a ar15 with a 458 socom upper or maybe even a shiloh sharps quigley in 45-110.