Georgia lawmakers to pass car repair tax:

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mad Mallard, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

2. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

a sales tax on labor? how does that work, exactly? do they want the sweat off my dad's brow also?

3. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

yep, your thoughts will be taxed next. Might pay to be stupid.

4. Mad Mallard

make em famous for thinking its a good idea.

5. Shewb

Shewb Member

I hear they are also enacting a sales tax on personal sales. You pay your 7% when you register the car, much like NY.

6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

They are cutting the state income tax from 6 to 4.5% at the same time.

So depending on what percent car repairs and private party car purchases are of your total income it could be a good thing.

Since I do all my own repairs and rarely buy cars I win.

Screw everbody else ;)

7. b reel

b reel Active Member

so there will be even more $1.00 car sales?

8. Mad Mallard

they'll probably have built into the law a minimum taxable sales value that you'll have to pay when you pay the advalorem to get around that...

9. vegasbomber

vegasbomber New Member

lol

-------------

man this is a bit crazy, there draining us with what ever monies they can get..

10. Mad Mallard

i have no problem with spreading the tax base,

but a car repair tax will disproportionately affect poorer people who drive older cars and have more repairs needed.

People with newer cars need less service, and usually end up just trading in. They would be in a situation to pay that tax FAR less often.

11. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

It really is a round-about way to give the wealthy a tax break.

I wonder if the lower middle class conservatives will catch on.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  12. It is a tax on the poor.Most new cars come with free maintenance and a warranty.(or an extended warranty.)And then how is it supposed to help if you then lower the state income tax.Oh wait I forgot,this is government we are talking about.It doesn't have to make sense.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  13. b reel

b reel Active Member

If Rick doesn't see it on Glenn Beck then I doubt they will

14. nygiant

nygiant Member

another reason for me to add to the list of reasons why i dislike Georgia

15. John

John Active Member

shhh! you might ruin it for us. they might tax your own labor!

16. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

What the fuck is my ad valorem going to? Just paid $300 + a nominal tag fee... :|

17. b reel

b reel Active Member

same place that 400 toll is going

18. nygiant

nygiant Member

i really do not understand where it is going to either.... i just paid 350 for my renewal a couple weeks ago.
    coming from Pennsylvania....all that was needed for the yearly registration renewal was $36 and then you have to go get a safety/emissions inspection which was ~$75 and THATS IT. i never heard of ad valorem until i moved here.

sure the cost of living here is cheaper than the north, but this state sure finds ways to make up for it so it equals out....

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  19. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Rick may be a cajun but lower middle class he isn't. Besides he does all the work on his own cars too.

20. techlord

techlord Active Member

I just hang with the lower/middle class. No GB for me!

21. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

they never do catch on.. and consistently vote against their own interests. it's sad and pathetic to watch

definitely a regressive tax.. I can't even understand how they would pitch it, except for the "oh but we're lowering your income taxes!"

22. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Ha he just buys already done stuff and gets you or All Pro to do the grunt work. :bowdown: :rofl:

23. Mad Mallard

georgia is one of only 2 states, i believe that taxes a registration AND taxes the vehicle as an asset to your financial whole.

thats "Ad Valorem" or Added Value

24. nygiant

nygiant Member

ok so GA has about 4.5 million residents....where the hell does a ~$300 tax go to that comes from millions of people?
    something in the range of almost a billion dollars

25. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Welfare!

26. nygiant

nygiant Member

haha not sure about that.
    i was laid off in December and on unemployment for the month of January. unemployment is only a max of 330/week. cant really live off of that.
    thats the lowest i've ever heard of - my mom, who is currently in NJ and was laid of last month, is on unemployment and gets about 2000/month

27. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

based on car value. my bill was definitely not welcome. my old 02 s10 was nearly 3-4 times cheaper

28. Hazzard

Hazzard Member

The majority of the Vehicle Ad Valorem is collected by the county government, so it is going to local infrastructure depending on where your car is located. It is considered part of Property Tax, in this case, your car is personal property. Believe it or not, you can appeal the value of your vehicle through your local Tax Assessors's office.

29. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

Yup - haha all those in Gwinnett, Fulton and Dekalb...you get uber raped

30. nygiant

nygiant Member

i got raped in cobb just as bad as i got raped in dekalb - any type of rape is rape

31. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Just another reason Hall county is cool :) No emissions AND lower taxes!

32. Weapon

Weapon 90lbs of dynamite Supporting Member

Yea but its Hall county

33. DaveH

DaveH Member

This is true. There are 4.5 million residents in GA. However, that 4.5M share this geographical space with 5,329,211 other people. That we know of.

Look here.

34. nygiant

nygiant Member

good resource.
    but i was moreso referring to probable registered car owners. unless that 9 million residents refers to households...?