Motorola Xoom vs Ipad2

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Strayen, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

I am in the market for a tablet and these two are at the top. If you own either, share your PROs and CONs; hopefully they aren't too biased.

I have an iphone3gs and an android phone now and i like the polished finish of iOS, but I like the freedom and geek friendliness of Android's market and the apps there.

Like a network monitoring tool, network share finder, better support for media player using Vital Player, etc. I can play MKV files from my media server on the Android. I can create Samba share in Android also. That's my PRO for Android but I've had a lot more app crashes than on the Iphone.

Battery life has also been horrid on the Android.

The higher res of Xoom is great advantage.

So put up some useful stuff please.

2. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

420 has played with both and chose the iPad.

3. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Just sent you a detailed PM. I would go with the iPad. Screen Resolution on the Xoom was nothing special. The Retina Display on the iPad 2 should blow it away.

4. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I have played with both and favor the Xoom. My advice would be to go to a store and play with both of them. I actually had both for about a day and think the xoom is better and I know will have better developer support for apps and roms. If you are not the tinkering type, get the ipad2

5. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

the ipad 2 does not have a retina display. same one from the ipad1

6. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Why not wait another month and see what all the competition is bringing out?
    By then you'd probably be able to walk into a store and actually buy an ipad2 if you decide it's the one to get.

7. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Yes, i would really wait for the new samsung 8.9 incher.

8. Strayen

Strayen Active Member

Honestly, I have the Samsung Gelexy S 4G Android from work and hate it. It's a complete pile of shit because Samsung decided to tinker with Android and add stuff which made it worse. HTC's Android is much better in comparison. So I actually don't want to look at any Samsung Android product.

As for Xoom and iPad availability, Costco has Xoom, and others probably do too. Apple's store has a back order on them of a week or more.

As for camera, iPad2 has gotten horrible reviews for the cameras they use.

Jason, have you found an app for the iPad which can play any media format? You'd be the best person to answer that one. I may wait a month and see if there are any special pricing on the Xoom, since iPad2 is not gonna come down in price for a while.

I held the iPad2 and it's super light-weight and skinny, that's a huge plus for it.

9. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

As with MOST android phones, the galaxy S requires a root and flash.