Photography: Thinking of building a camera bag

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Alex, May 18, 2011.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

This week has proven that there's a few of us interested in photography. I have been considering designing / building a new bag for a camera body, one or two lenses, a single flash and perhaps a slit for a laptop. I have yet to really find one particular bag that has the features I want. Usually, I will find that one bag has one cool feature but none else, whereas another bag as that cool feature but not the feature of the first. At any rate, I thought I would ask what you like to see in a camera bag? Who knows, perhaps we can come up with a decent idea that works and build a proof of concept.

2. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Frys has some AWESOME bags. They have this really near one with an amazing laptop compartment. I'll try to get pics next time i go over there.

3. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Side entry for quick access to the body.

4. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

This could be sexy.

5. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

6. Alex

Oh I'll build one, but I am diggin the ideas. Keep them coming and we'll see if we can drill down the ideal elements for a bag.

I suppose a good starting point is whether or not a backpack is ideal or if a messenger/sling style is preferred.

7. slade1274

slade1274 Member

In for sling- but I want it just for a body with lens attached and one extra.

8. Alex

So like a day pack sorta? Oh, and just hit 18,000 posts :wiggle:

9. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Backpack is preferred for me.
    It's much more convenient, especially if you're out in the mountains.
    But really, all I look for in a bag is a few pockets for filters/misc. gear, and then the interchangeable velcro compartments for lenses and the body.

That bag that lostinthewoods put up is pretty ideal.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  10. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Like the backpack idea. Iffy on laptop.

Will it be made from alcantara with opulence? LOL

11. b reel

b reel Active Member

it would be nice to have something expandable like the old military ALICE paks or maybe a vest or maybe a combination of both. Cordura exterior with Alcantara liner.

12. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Surprised that the Lowepro bags don't intrigue you. I have three and love them! The Kata bags are nice as well. My only complaints with my Lowepro 250, which is a side loading backpack with laptop pouch are that it didn't come with a tripod holder, which I added myself and it doesn't have a rain shield. Other than that, its pretty much perfect. Interested to see what you come up with though!

13. Alex

I definitely cannot say that I've looked at all of them, yet. What I've enjoyed about the Domke bags is that they do not look like camera bags. This is a plus to me, especially when traveling. Fortunately, I've worked with cordura in the past on a few projects and fortunately it's fairly cheap.

Scott, how did you orient your tri-pod? Does it run parallel or perpendicular to your bag?

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'm gonna say the problem will be alcantara is expensive so I'd focus more on keeping the price at or below the retail options.

15. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Here's a non-backpack idea. It's actually a bike messenger bag made from cordura and can be easily altered in my opinion. Clean up the looks for a more sleek professional look instead of the reflective fabric :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  16. b reel

b reel Active Member

17. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

I started out with a messenger style bag on the principal of being able to blend into urban enviros a little better when I used to be in my 'daily life photo doc.' phase.
    Then I picked up a lowepro 250? Holds all my lenses, my laptop for tethered shooting, and even holds in a 70-200 f2.8 lens. After using both for over a year, I personally prefer my messenger bag. Its compact yet holds a bunch of crap, sure no laptop and some accessories, but its less of a burden walking around events and stuff.

I think what would be ideal for me is a messenger style bag that I could also add on a padded belt, so I can put some of the weight around my waist and not just on my shoulder. Also maybe I could loop/buckle crap onto said belt.

Also I'm not sure on the alcantara, I'm really tough on my bags bc I don't flinch with shooting in rain/snow, and I like that water resistant nylon/canvas stuff bags are made of.

18. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

19. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

[​IMG]

This is the 250 and I sewed a loop with clip to the top pocket. The Tripod hangs vertically from there. Its great for walking, but not so great if I am in a tight space (hard to turn around due to the added depth of the backpack + Tripod).

20. Alex

I really don't foresee Alcantara working its way into this project unless its in a demo/prototype model ;) Nevertheless, I am willing to wager that none of you could destroy a bag made from Alcantara in less than a year.

21. b reel

b reel Active Member

the interior of the bag lined in alcantara but if I go through the expense of a custom camera pack can you make it with baby koala hides?

22. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Or baby seal hides?

23. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

Woven panda hair.

24. 97s14

97s14 New Member

25. 97s14

97s14 New Member

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  26. rsutton1223

This is what I am using.

Around town/travel

Tamrac Aero Speed Pack 85

[​IMG]

Hiking/Mountain Biking

Clik Elite Pro Sport (holds a 100oz Camelbak bladder too)

[​IMG]

27. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

How much did your bag run you?

28. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

you take a dslr out mtn biking?!?

29. rsutton1223

Which one?

30. rsutton1223