Need a new turbo soon =)/=(

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by aneel, May 21, 2011.

1. aneel

aneel Member

Hello Everyone,

First of all I would like to thank Sparta and Bixs for helping me with my new turbo back install last night and the discovery of my almost blown turbo:eek3:.

Before I continue, I would like to apologize in advance as I am still in the learning stages. I got an STi in 06' bc it was the fastest thing under $35k. I've wanted it since I first laid eyes on it on 04'. Today I have done a lot of research, probably more then I have done in the passed 4 years i've had the car. Along the way I haven't had any issues with it until last summer when the oil pick up tube broke and flooded my engine. It was a nightmare for me. I decided to go with a Top Speed SS1 block swapped, along with that I got a turbo back, Cobb AP2 and a conservative tune by Doug(Shout out to Top Speed GREAT GUYS!!!).

So now after all this research I am STILL a little confused of which turbo to go with. My basic options are to just go with a VF39(Stock) or VF43(Stock 07' Turbo, correct me if I'm wrong) b/c I know it'll be a lot less hassle. For example I wont have to upgrade my injectors and fuel pump and so on and I know it will be reliable as a DD, but power wise i'll still be where I am now.

Hence, i've been thinking this could be a chance to upgrade to something bigger like maybe a 16G, 18G, 20G or maybe even a GT35R turbo. From what I have seen, anything aftermarket will obviously be less reliable. I would rather go this route then just getting another stock turbo(due to increase in power). I don't mind the car requiring more maintenance work I just don't want to blow motors or pistons and rods(etc.) left and right. I'll mainly be taking it to the track every now and then, some mountain runs, and to work a couple times a week. Every now and then trips out of town.

So my reason for creating this thread is to get some input on which route you think would be best. Ultimately I would like for you guys to post some suggestions on set ups, like what turbo you would go with along with which injectors and fuel pump(brand and everything). Again, reliability is my MAIN concern and I DON'T want to have donate a kidney to pay for this;).

Below is my current mod list, just something to go by.

Detailed mod list
    Top Speed SS1 Block(Less then 10,000 miles)
    No name catless down pipe
    Apexi Ex Ti Cat back
    Cobb AP2 (Stage 2 tuned by Doug @ Tuned by Top Speed)
    Competition Stage 2 Clutch and fly wheel

I do thank you for taking the time to read this whole essay:rofl: I have written and will greatly appreciate your feedback.

Thanks again,

aneeL

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

ID 1000's
    DW or Aeromotive Pump
    A nice Rotated kit

3. brooks22

brooks22 Member

just rotated my 06 wrx. decided to go with ams 750r kit and its a legit setup. I was kind of hesitant to drop the money for it at first but after it was installed im super happy i bought it. ams really does it right with their kits and they dont cut any corners. everything just basically bolts right up no problem.

Power - plenty to get yourself in trouble as a dd.
    Reliability - i would say its the best you can get from any rotated setup... depending on your intentions with the car

Idk if you were looking to get this kind of setup or just stick with stock location. just thought i would throw it out there just to give u some feedback

4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I have a rotated kit for sell.

5. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Posted in the garage section 20g-XT

6. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

You wont have to worry about hurting that engine with any of the turbid you mentioned unless you plan on making over 500whp on the 35r

Give me a call at the shop and ill tell you about some of the turbo setups we have been doing recently

Matt@ TopSpeed

7. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

If your not going to go rotated I have a brand new blouch 20g XT for sale. That is just sitting at my place. Got it from topspeed.

8. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

If you aren't going rotated the 20GXT mentioned above is by far the best stock location turbo (In my Opinion)

Matt

9. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

What power do you want?

And I never knew you had a new engine in there. o.o

And just hit me up if you need help installing something. ;)

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  10. aneel

aneel Member

Ha thanks bud. Thank you everyone for the response. Still debating what to get, and putting prices together.

aneeL