Dealerships and warranties

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Matt, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

For those at the dealerships:

Say a customer brings a car in stating issues getting the car to stay in gear, or it doesn't feel like it's fully engaged in said gear. There's a TSB out for that exact issue, and the customers car is within the drivetrain warranty, but out of the 'bumper to bumper' warranty.

Said customer also has an aftermarket warranty that was purchased when he/she purchased the car.

Knowing there's a TSB, and knowing the car still falls under the drivetrain warranty (by about 6k miles, mind you), why would you call the 3rd party warranty company about the repairs. Now, I understand they'd rather have them pay for it than pay for it themselves, but it's a known issue and the manufacturer has owned up to said issue.

The Service advisor says there are extensive repairs needed and the warranty company will more than likely want to send a representative out to inspect the customers vehicle.

Does this sound normal, or a little shady?

2. b reel

b reel Active Member

Clark Howard where are you?

3. MeFryRice

MeFryRice Member

After talking with a colleague who used to handle the warranty claims at a local MB dealership, he's under the impression that they're trying to get paid by the aftermarket warranty company then submit the claim to the manufacturer to be reimbursed twice. If the aftermarket warranty companies gets wind that the vehicle still has a manufacturer warranty, they'll deny the claim.

Did they indicate what the issue is and what parts will need to be replaced?

4. Matt

hopefully somewhere in a ditch. I hate that guy.

I'll get the i-team involved. :rofl:

5. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Why the clark howard hate?

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Maybe you should just give them your TL and keep the ZDX.

7. Matt

"Clark Howard says this." and "Clark Howard says that"

people hang on his every word. And it's really fucking annoying. He's a cheap bastard.

I thought about it. Then I'd trade the ZDX in on an STi :rofl:

8. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I am sure they will try to deny the warranty since you modified your roof and made your car look more asian.

9. Matt

"You have an aftermarket tube in your engine"

yeah, so? That was there when I purchased it, and it has nothing to do with the TSB on the transmission. kthxbi

10. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

I was just told by someone who had a similar issue with an older CL Type-S that Acura won't rebuild a transmission if that's the problem, only replace it, so they're probably doing everything they can to avoid that.

11. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Reminds me of when the STI 6MT first came to our shores.

12. Matt

:rofl:

the warranty company denied the claim stating the car still fell under the mfgr warranty. Said Service Advisor played stupid and said he'd have to check with the manufacturer regarding the warranty.

MFGR approved the claim and a whole new gearset is being dropped into the car. At no cost to the customer.

:banana:

13. MeFryRice

MeFryRice Member

Just like I said...

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

So when you get your car back?