Car Repo Info

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by John, Jul 5, 2011.

1. John

John Active Member

Just looking for some quick info.

I personally sold a car to someone on payments. Had a contract and everything...blah blah blah. It was basically a very legit personal deal.

Anyways, the dude is defaulting on it....and now he has taken the car and run away to New York.

What options do I have to take care of this situation besides driving / flying to NY to collect the car?

I do have the title in my possession. Its titled under his name, however I'm listed as the lean holder.

2. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

if you have docs listed as leinholder, you should have everything you need.

laws on reposession differ from state to state so you may want to call an asset recovery professional near where the vehicle is.

They can take possesion of it for you, but I'd call more than one to make sure you educate yourself and dont step in it.

3. John

John Active Member

Should I report this car as stolen? I think this would fall under "theft by deception"

4. Mad Mallard

no no no, not yet.

there is no crime for police. do you have the payment structure agreement in writing? a contract?

5. John

John Active Member

Yes I have a contract signed and dated by the both of us. It basically says down payment of xxx dollars and x ammount of monthly payments on the 15th day of each month in the ammount of xxx dollars.

contract states that he is required to carry comprehensive and collision coverage on the car as well....and he has not been...nor did he list me as a lean holder on the insurance policy, he told insurance that he outright owned the car.

contract as well says that after he defaults, i have the right to repo the car.

6. Mad Mallard

GOOD

That last clause is CRITICAL.

Call the pros in NY, you'll probably still have to come out of pocket, but they should tell you what they need to do their job.

7. John

John Active Member

I have been thinking about calling someone out there. After it gets repoed, I'm stuck going to NY to collect it though arent I?

8. jchon3

jchon3 Supporting Member

Or, you can try to find a new buyer in NY maybe?
    possibly on NASIOC, maybe someone will be willing to finish the payments for a nice leggy

9. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

How much is left on the payments, and what car is it.

10. b reel

b reel Active Member

in the gray on that but you might want to go ahead and talk to a LEO about it.

11. John

John Active Member

Not an insanely large amount left on payments, but enough to be worried about. If it was less then a grand, I would just say fuck it and cut my losses...but that isn't the case here.

Its my old 97 Legacy GT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

see Jake, this is why owner financing is such a bad idea...

13. cMags

cMags Member

Wait, Jevon took off and defaulted on you? I thought you guys were pretty close buds, and he seemed like an upfront kind of guy the few times I met him... Damn. Guess you never can tell. :|

14. John

John Active Member

Who is Jake?

I talked with him on the phone. He refuses to return the car to GA....he says he will pay me, but I don't know if that will actually happen or not. I guess we will see what happens.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  15. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

bc2003uga

16. Jake

Jake Active Member

sure, if a party involved is dishonest owner financing is a bad idea.

i'm not. and have done this three times now with no issues

the OP got screwed, thats the issue with doing this with people you can't trust.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  17. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Don't trust his word, him saying he will pay you. If he stopped paying you and is against the contract you guys made, get your shit back. he broke the contract.

18. cMags

cMags Member

^^ Agreed. You didn't really want/need to sell that car anyway.

19. Mad Mallard

yeah, its up to you if you want to deal with his pity party.

20. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

any idea what part of NY? I have a good friend that lives there and knows a few tow truck drivers. Might even be able to help you sell it there after repo.

21. John

John Active Member

I have an address....However I don't know how accurate it is. I'll get in touch with you via PM within the next few days. Thanks man

22. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Is the cost of getting it back justifiable enough vs the net worth of the car vs the amount owed?

23. John

John Active Member

I dont have the time or resources to drop everything and run to NY to pick up a car. I refuse to just sign the car over for free though? So what happens now?

24. Mad Mallard

It depends on how invested you are in effort.

25. lsnaple

lsnaple Member

I wouldn't even think of signing the title over if he doesn't pay. Hell I wouldn't do owner financing anyway, if he wanted the car bad enough he could've financed through the bank and you would've been paid with no worries. Then he could've defaulted with the bank and they definately would repo it.