Netflix

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cool_____, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Who here has Netflix? Do you like it and feel that it's worth the $7.99 for streaming only? I just bought a PS3 which will be delivered today and was thinking of getting Netflix esp since the wife likes to watch old movies.

2. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Yes, i use it daily.

3. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Yeah, it's great. But they just recently raised the price, I'm pretty sure, 2$ more for each plan.
    My friends also use my account on their PS3s and they stream pretty frequently.

4. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

It's $7.99 for streaming only. That's all I want. If I want DVD then I'll go to redbox on the way home.

5. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

We use ours all the time. Great for old movies and old TV shows.

6. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I'm a fan...

7. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I was a little dissapointed with it. Nothing new on the streaming side. I am about to cancel my subscription.

8. gfred024

gfred024 Member

Streaming sucks. Not worth it IMO. I just rent from the playstation store 2.99 and the selection is better.

9. MeFryRice

MeFryRice Member

It may just be my Wi-Fi setup at home but trying to stream movies on my PS3 is terrible. We'll get to watch 2-3 mins and then it buffers for 5 mins. It will continue to do this through out the movie until we call it quits. With that being said, we just have the DVD's sent to our house which doesn't bother us.

10. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

When we used my in laws account a few days ago it work flawlessly on the PC. I'm gonna try on the PS3 tonight. I get a month free.

11. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

Check your settings on the Playstation. Ensure that UPnP is off. I used to have that issue also.Turned off UPnP and have not had an issue since. Video does not stop to buffer anymore, even when streaming HD over Wi-Fi.

On a side note, I was not streaming from Netflix. I was streaming movies that downloaded from another source from my Computer to the Playstation over Wi-Fi. I have never tried to do Netflix of Vudu Streaming directly from the Playstation.

12. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

I have Netflix for the XBox and I love Netflix Instant. When the subscription dues go up in September I will cancel my DVD portion and keep the streaming - I always end up keeping DVDs for 2-3 months because I never feel like watching them. To me the convenience of starting a show series or movie instantly is better than having newer content. I only go to the movies once or twice a year, so I still have not seen most of last year's movies that hit Instant recently. That being said, one of the biggest reasons they are increasing the price of the service is because the cost of aquiring content has gone up substantially. To be fair I haven't had cable for 3 years either... all I watch is Netflix Instant, over the air channels and Hulu.

13. If you have decent internet and want to watch a lot of slightly older movies and last years popular tv series it is the way too go.Try it out for a month and see.

14. Jake

Jake Active Member

my friends have it, and let me use their account on my iphone. they also use it on their PS3, iPad, and laptops. they have used netflix since netflix has been around and have the home DVD delivery queue still, as well (just rips them).

its great, and seems like every time i log in they have added a ton of new movies, and they are getting newer/better titles every day. i personally think this is the way movie renting is going. screw a brick a mortar store, and home delivery when you can just download/stream them

15. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Watched some last night. It's pretty cool but browsing can be a pain on the ps3. Can a lot of the shows/movies don't have subtitles....that irks me some but I can't complain much. I do know Netflix is working on providing all subtitle due to a lawsuit that is in effect now so more and more shows/movies will get them. Most of them had subtitles but not all.

16. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Never tried to use subtitles. Interesting...

17. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Deaf guy gotta know what they saying on the movie somehow!

18. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

I just canceled mine last month. Not enough content on the streaming side. Even older movies. 70-80% of the movies I wanted to watch were DVD only. I canceled my original Netflix account about 5 years ago because they would purposely delay delivery if you were watching and returning the DVDs "too fast".

I agree this is the way the movie rental business is going, but I want access to a huge movie library. Vudu normally has everything I'm looking for but they charge by the movie and you pay more for 720p and 1080p streams.

19. DaveH

DaveH Member

Interesting thread.

As far as streaming movies goes, it seems like 'we are not there yet'.

I am contemplating a new DVD player. I was going to get one that is wi-fi enabled, then sign up for a Netflix account. So let me ask this: is Netflix the least-worst of all the streaming media providers?

20. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

I think it depends on what you expect. I never had any issues streaming Netflix to my PS3, iPhone, or PC. Content was my complaint. Vudu is pay per view, but it has much higher quality streaming available up to 1080p. But it can get pretty expensive.

I haven't checked out blockbuster online yet.

21. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

As far as streaming, I've never had any issues going to Xbox 360 or my phone (Evo actually looks pretty damn good). As far as content, I'll admit... Not much on the newer side. I think it depends on how much of a movie buff you are. I love watching movies, old and new. Netflix has plenty enough to keep me busy... Along with a bunch of tv series... The recent price hikes, along with the hike they had last year did piss me off, but not enough to scare me away.

22. DaveH

DaveH Member

I am hoping to never order a PPV movie from Comcast again. So, I guess decent HD selection would be my expectation.

23. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Netflix isn't going to work for you then... New movie selection is weaksauce... Not sure about the HD, seems to be hit or miss.