Used Cop Cars

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by wileycoyote0022, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Ok, I know its strange, but I remember someone telling me that its super cheap to buy used or decommissioned cop cars. Only problem being the only internet searches I am coming up with is a couple ebay ones and northern cars, and I dont think I will be trying to buy a cop car from up north.

Does anyone know any sites, auctions, dealers, local spots to get used cop cars?

2. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

You need to look for police auctions. Confiscated cars, decommissioned police cars, you name it. The cars auctioned off are dirt cheap but require cold hard cash to buy.

I did a little search and this seems to be a site that lists police auctions per state.
    http://www.allgovauctions.com/uspssurplus.asp#g

3. nygiant

nygiant Member

why would u want one? i only ever see the hood dudes drivin them

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the list goes on and on

4. I was going to Autox it, maybe drop a couple grand in one it would be fun.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lol, I'm totally kidding. I'm interested because they are cheap as hell, and very reliable, plus cheap to insure. If they are as cheap as I think they are and if it craps out after 2 years ill go get another.

5. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Have you even sat in one of those, they are comfy and big as fuck. and have plenty power behind them.

6. Jake

Jake Active Member

had a friend from a few years ago who bought one to autocross. but i think he just ragged the shit out of it instead. still it was cheap fun

7. I like the way you think, that's my point exactly. I have a 5 month old and plan on having more, room in a Subaru is definitely their downfall. Having something big, comfortable, reliable, and cheap seems like the most efficient way right now.

8. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

They are comfty. I know a few people that got their's for like $2000. Stupid cheap and built like a tank.

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

10. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

If you can find one for <1500 give it a shot, HOWEVER, while Crown Vics really are solid cars, I'd expect "the very reliable" part to go out the window when you're are talking about ex police vehicles.

These things truly endure worst case scenario lives: hugely extended idle times, lots of stop and go, plenty of full throttle acceleration, a countless numbers of less than desirable character puking, bleeding, and throwing hissy fits in the back, and the fact that every driver it has had drove it like it belonged to someone else (for obvious reasons). There's a good reason why oil companies partner up with police departments and cab companies for oil analysis trials- it's a rough environment for a car and a Hell of a test bed.

I only bring up the above points because if you really plan to keep the car for at least a couple of years, the extra money spent finding a decently well kept but high mileage civilian version (preferably with a sport package) would be worth it. I mean, stop and think about it- with all the maintenance resources the gubment has, one of these things has to be pretty well done before they get rid of it (unless a particular municipality is just REALLY anxious to phase in some Chargers).

One other thing... if you do start searching for a decent civilian version, be prepared to look beyond Atlanta- try TN and VA. The demand for these and Caprices is strong around these parts, and the majority have been ruined.

Just my opinion. I thought about this a while back, and then thought better of it. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  11. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Police departments get rid of their cars at 125,000 miles I think. It's not that something is wrong with it, they just move on after that.

12. scoobaru

scoobaru Active Member

I have always considered one. See them on CL from time to time but most want way to much for them.

I had a buddy who bought an all black crown vic. Still had lots of equipment in it including strobes, video cam, the real divider thing. He was able to take out and sell a lot of it for profit.

13. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Hmmm... If so, that's interesting. I still contend those are rough miles, but still not bad for a Crown Vic.

When I was looking I was up in East TN, and some of those cars had mileage well beyond that. That was almost 7 years ago, though, and it may differ from state to state, or county to county, or whatever. Hell, I'm not even sure where some of the cars had been sourced... they may have come from the other side of the country. That being said, most of the ones I saw were supposedly running fine, with existing problems usually being transmission related. Some also had check engine lights on, which could pose an issue in emissions areas, I suppose.

I'd be interested in seeing what the OP might be able to find. If he could find one for less than a grand to pull Dukes of Hazard recreations in, that would be awesome.

14. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

What's the side impact crash rating on them -- since you mentioned wanting to tote your family and all.

15. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

16. WRXbryanATL

WRXbryanATL Member

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  17. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

18. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Dick retracting lips?

19. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

You could always shoot for something older.....like and '89 wagon?

[​IMG]

This guy had (has?) an amazing setup for an old LTD. He used (still does?) AutoX, and on several occasions placed quite well.

Back when I had my Grand Marquis, this guy's LTD had the "bucket list" of to-do mods...

CarDomain

Sample vid:
    [youtube]peCEfsr2NOU[/youtube]

20. cMags

cMags Member

:naughty:

21. Your right, they do take a beating, however these cars are built different than civilian versions. They come equipped with much higher grade parts, and you can guarantee they see there maintenance much more regularly than a civilian version. I mean every car you potentially look at you need to inspect and could have issues, most often than not. I am just going after these cause the reasons I listed before. This is not to be some kind of amazing performance car for me. Its just to get me from point a to b.

Check this out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhgHhkKXyEU

Strange, I would have thought they would have done well. Wounder why its #1 car for police then considering it isn't the greatest on safety ratings, and also why insurance had it listed as DAMN cheap to insure.

Thats just fuckin bad ass!!!!!!

Your right, they decommission them after either certain amount of miles or years of service, and Im guessing it different from county/state to county/state. Cause I have seen some 08 and 09 chargers on ebay with 90-120k on them.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  22. Ok, so I found a good site, not for cop cars (maybe some) but great for buying auction cars. Hoping I might find a good deal here....

www.Copart.com

23. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Cheapest bid gets the gov't work.

24. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

While the cheapest bid issue is a big part of it, wasn't part of the reason the police departments liked these things also due to the body on frame design? I was thinking that it made these cars cheaper and easier to repair and straighten back out after an impact. I've read that some departments were concerned about these newer cruisers because they would have to start subbing out unibody repairs and couldn't rely on the in house equipment that they had for working on cars like the Crown Vic.

Then again, I could be hallucinating... I've been known to do that.

25. b reel

b reel Active Member

plenty of local auctions, PM Sanders. He might be able to help out in finding a cheap ride, from Al a lama

26. Yeah, I honestly don't know what I'm going to do. Gotta find something but funding is limited.