The Rebirth of Scooby Doo

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Texsun, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Texsun

Texsun Member

Well since nothing is being done about the whole being screwed over on the purchase of the car and I am left with a broken down car still... so I have decided to start a breakdown and rebuild on the motor myself. The Project started today, with the easy things first i.e Air Intake, Battery compartment, BOV, and the I/C. I gotta work tomorrow so this will be about all that is done this weekend.

the last sound he ever made http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LyGWVmshQ
    FASTER BETTER STRONGER he will be!

The start...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  2. Texsun

Texsun Member

Engine hoist/stand will be here after Sept 20th so looks like there will be a break in the tear down. I will continue the tear down until its at the final stages before needing the hoist/stand and will keep pics updated

3. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Sweet! Can't wait until the finished product. Do you plan on buying any aftermarket for the internals?

4. Texsun

Texsun Member

Planning on doing some mild internals nothing to crazy just depends on what I find inside haha. What ever needs to be replaced will be replaced with better! I am going to start some research on cams for sure!

5. John

John Active Member

I didn't know you knew how to do this stuff. Good luck with the project and keep pictures current!

There are lots of people here that can give you some advise if you get hung up on anything. I may even be willing to lend a hand if I can make time for it

6. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Hmm may want to go ahead and source a shortblock so you can just swap heads (if they are good) and put the motor right back in. If that's the case your car can be running the same weekend you get the hoist in and sell off the old shortblock if it is rebuildable. Just my .02 having done this before.

7. John

John Active Member

His turbo when kapoot...and he has a rod knock iirc

8. Texsun

Texsun Member

Hey man I will gladly provide beer and food if you ever get time to come help me destroy the car! haha I know some stuff about cars... I grew up with my dad all about the old school muscle so motors are some what normal to me. I just didnt wanna have to do the work myself you know haha but seeing how its now my only option :)

Sparta- I havent fully decided on what I want to do with the block yet just waiting to see what it looks like once i open everything up.

Thanks all for the advice and I will keep the pics coming!

Uploading video of the noise now haha :)

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

plan on a new crank, they are cheap and forged

10. Texsun

Texsun Member

11. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

we can rebuild him.

12. Texsun

Texsun Member

Like I said before i will provide beer/food for whoever wants to come help or if you just wanna point and laugh! Only problem is that I am up in Dahlonega so im quite a ways away from everyone.

13. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

I've got a hoist and stand you can borrow if you'd like without having to wait until the 20th. Also, what sort of magic voodoo did you work to get the charge pipe off the top mount without taking it off the turbo??

I may be able to swing a day off next weekend to come help out. I'm in Cumming, so while it's not exactly close, it's not too far either.

14. Texsun

Texsun Member

I let the powers of ricky bobby and opra winfreeeeeee run through me. I just un bolted it haha. I would gladly take you up on the offer for the stand/hoist but I got some family that will be coming in once my son gets here "right around the 20th" and they are bringing some of my tools and goodies. Plus the wife said I cant spend any money on the car until after My son pops out :) which I cant wait for! So I might as well wait till I get my stand/hoist here. Thanks for the offer though! Any weekend you would like to stop by just let me know.

I am also possibly thinking about a paint job?

15. Texsun

Texsun Member

Decided since I had nothing to do I would give the parts I have already taken off a nice bath in a good ol salvent tank. mmmmmmm good as new...

I took this picture mid way through the cleaning so its still quite dirty in the pic

[​IMG]

16. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Man you took that intercooler off the hard way lol.

I'd be willing to come up when PED does to help pull it. It's really not that bad pulling the motor out (unless you do it the way you removed that intercooler lol)

Should only take about an hour or 2 before it's hanging ready to be dissassembled.

17. Texsun

Texsun Member

always a first time for everything espeically when your pissed off and just want it running haha. I have never been around these types of motors so this is some what of a learning process for me.

for john and the trail subi guys

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  18. John

John Active Member

They are not that bad to work on once you're used to them

19. Texsun

Texsun Member

only thing im worried about is the computer and electronic side

20. G-WRX

G-WRX Member

That's what you got the WRXATL community for. You've got all the help you need here.

21. superdoughboy4

I may be interested in coming up too when these guys go up. I'd like to see the process of the engine being pulled out.
    Hopefully my schedule matches up.

22. Texsun

Texsun Member

When would be a good time for everyone to get together?

23. superdoughboy4

A sunday? Saturdays are a no-no. I need my hours.

24. Texsun

Texsun Member

Sundays should be good for me after 1pm

25. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Wish I was closer....I have hoist and stand you could borrow and we would have that engine out and hanging in less than 1 hr.

26. tallgeese2

tallgeese2 Member

ill help if its on a sunday im not to far from ya

27. Texsun

Texsun Member

Started taking the Exhaust out... I am gonna need some air tools to get the turbo un bolted haha!

anyways if you come and help and you want any of the parts I am taking off they are yours... like this exhaust...

[​IMG]

28. G-WRX

G-WRX Member

So... you said that you are taking off the turbo right? And you also said if we want any parts that you are taking off right? So I'll take your turbo!

29. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Gonna be hard to get air tools in the turbo area. You need PB Blaster and some arm power. Wear some good gloves......or I promise you will skin some knuckles.

30. Texsun

Texsun Member

lol what i ment was the parts I will be replacing with aftermarket bling :)

31. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Shouldn't need too much to get the turbo off. It was just put on at allpro.

Just get a good set of tools and decent breaker bars.

32. Texsun

Texsun Member

33. G-WRX

G-WRX Member

I knew you probably weren't going to be giving away the turbo you just had AllPro install... :) Just messing with ya!

34. Texsun

Texsun Member

got the turbo un bolted and took the rest of the exhaust down.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  35. Texsun

Texsun Member

got the wiring all disconnected along with the fuel lines nothing worth taking pics of though.

36. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I see your problem. You migth need some better tools. ;)

I didn't have any when I started out but I figured that some of the money I saved doing repairs myself should go to tools.

The return on that investment has been huge.

37. techlord

techlord Active Member

you still need a 14mm swivel and a deeeeep 19. ;)

38. Texsun

Texsun Member

Got the deeeep 19 but dont have a swivel 14 :(

Most of my tools where stolen about this time last year when I got all my stuff moved from storage when I got back from Afghanistan. Still trying to recover from that little misshap...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  39. Texsun

Texsun Member

I am still trying to figure out why exhaust for these cars are so expensive... Looks like I may be building my own exhaust maybe with electric dumps? Or does it not work as well with these imports?

40. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

ERZ exhaust. WORKS perfect and CHEAP. A 3" mandrel bent pipe is a 3" inch mandrel bent pipe....don't pay for name brand over priced stuff until you get to the muffler.....that's if you want a nice subtle sound. Want it loud then go cheap.

Here's a link.
    Downpipe...
    http://www.erzperformance.com/ERZ_perfomance_Downpipe_s/2280.htm

Catback....
    http://www.erzperformance.com/Subaru_STI_Exhaust_s/3194.htm

You don't need an up-pipe....stock is good :)

41. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Texsun you should contact slowwrx and see what he can do for you. IIRC he has several motors built and ready to roll.

42. Texsun

Texsun Member

Just sent him a PM! Thanks man!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  43. fourdegrees

fourdegrees Member

Good luck with the rebuild. Post more pics when you can.

44. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

In lieu of air tools, buy a rubber mallet. It will help if you're unable to physically loosen a stuck bolt.

45. G-WRX

G-WRX Member

I second that. I think there are quite a few guys on here that are rooting for your rebuild!!! Totally would've came out tomorrow if it weren't so far!

46. Texsun

Texsun Member

Thanks to Ped and 420 we got the motor out today!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

47. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

It's what I refer to as a manual impact wrench.

48. G-WRX

G-WRX Member

Man, that's the perfect opportunity to clean the hell out of your engine bay and make it look all spiffy.

49. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Ped is the man!

50. superdoughboy4

Awesome! Too bad I wasn't able to come... Oh well.
    Work without time and a half/double pay on a fucking national holiday is utter bullshit.