Canton area off road

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by John, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

So did you guys get tickets?

2. John

John Active Member

No. Cops had a few trucks stopped...and we just kind of drove past them and about 10 minutes later came back out....and we waved at them on our way out haha

3. John

John Active Member

I found a place here in Canton that doesn't have any signs and is not blocked off. It almost looks like its forgotten about! haha

Who is up for Sunday afternoon?

4. ninja01

ninja01 Member

ill prolly go as long as no donut eaters show up to try and give tickets

5. John

John Active Member

I can't promise that lol. I want to hit it in a higher vehicle then mine for the first time since its an "unknown" trail lol

6. John

John Active Member

Scratch that I'm bored.

Lets hope the OB can handle this stuff! haha wish me luck

edit: multiple trails found. Dunno where they lead to though. One looks like it leads to a giant open area behind a bunch of trees that has been cleared for construction

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  7. John

John Active Member

I rode some of these trails today. Fun stuff!

Meeting at my shop again on Sunday at 1pm for anyone who wants to go.

errr EDIT

Sunday at 1pm is no go. We are doing later on Sunday. Not sure what time yet though

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  8. cMags

cMags Member

Well we went out today, Wayne (ninja01) in his Fozzy w/ John riding along, and myself w/ Clint (Wileycoyote) riding along. Found some nice trails. A pretty agressive hill climb and atv trail (ended up getting too narrow and rutted to continue and turning around was quite the effort requiring some deforestation. Then some high speed fun along what looked like logging roads. Good times.

Some highlights:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And because you didn't do it right until you get stuck or break something, we did both:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry officer.. :keke: (actually no 5-0 at all today, good way to be for offroading)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I'll figure out in a bit how to post vids from picasa... (or upload them to youtube instead)...

9. cMags

cMags Member

10. John

John Active Member

Fun times. I still can't believe I got Waynes Fozzy stuck....and it was literally 10 seconds after he said "Don't get stuck!". There is a video of it....smh

oops. Sorry man lol

CMAGS was sliding sideways and hit a tree stump and instantly busted the bead on his tire....there is a video of that as well

11. ninja01

ninja01 Member

and now that I got most of the pine straw out from inside the car Scooby needs to get a bath.. lol

12. G-WRX

G-WRX Member

NICE.....It be even funnier if it got stuck on the frame.

13. John

John Active Member

Anyone who would like to join us on the next adventure speak up. We have done this twice now...both on a Sunday.

There are quite a few trails. We didn't even explore everything.

The first trail we hit came to an abrupt end because of a stream that Wayne and Chris were not comfortable crossing. Maybe on our next outing, the water level will be a little lower.

The second trail was a hill climb. It was a pretty steep climb up to some kind of radio tower. Once we got to the top of the hill to the radio tower, the trail went back down the other side of the mountain but had a lot of brush, so we didn't go on the second part

The third trail was a pretty rough trail. It looked like some kind of ATV trail and then turned into a water wash. We followed it for quite some time until things got too rough and narrow for us to go through. There were a few trails that branched off of this one as well that we did not go down.

The third area (where I got stuck and Chris blew out his tire) was just a cleared area with a few trails. It had some good dirt roads to catch some speed on and a few wide open areas to play around in. As well, there were some smaller steep hills that we could climb.

There are more trails over in the area that we didn't even have time to check out.

Not a bad area I must say.

14. John

John Active Member

It did. The undercarriage got hung up on the very top once the front wheels got onto flat ground. It was soft sand though, so it didn't cause any kind of damage. Just got me stuck as hell. We were able to teeter totter the Fozzy haha

15. cMags

cMags Member

Yea we were. Also showed how bad an idea front and rear open diffs were on the base models of these Subies. Once we had a wheel or two off the ground, all the power just went straight to free spinning them... hrm.. what's involved in swapping in a WRX LSD... :coolugh:

Anyway, here's a sample of the trail (right about where we turned around):

[youtube]RsGbveGCILY[/youtube]

16. John

John Active Member

Find one that matches the gear ratio of your front diff and bolt it up.

17. cMags

cMags Member

YEa but i think the finding one part is the hard part w/ my car. Not many subarus have the 3.90 final drive that the OBS has, and those that did were all open diff. THo I did just read something saying the '91/'92 turbo legacies had a VLSD in 3.90... hrm...

18. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Looks like fun. Be sure to match the wheel/tire diameters (usually resulting in needing a new set of tires) with the other 3 or by by center diff. In the pic it look like you slapped a stock wrx wheel on with your other wheels?

19. John

John Active Member

The stock WRX wheel and the stock Legacy GT wheels are the same size.

The tires were 205/60/16 on the LGT wheels and 205/55/16 on the wrx wheel. Didn't really have another choice but to do that for a few miles...However the smaller tire had brand new tread and the bigger tires were worn down. The fresh tread on the 55 helped make up the diameter difference.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  20. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Yeaaaa... Dont go on any long trips like that

21. cMags

cMags Member

^^agreed, but a full size spare like that being only off by < 5% was a lot better than a donut, especially out there where I needed the full size tire. I only rode it for maybe a mile or two on pavement to John's shop were we reseated the tire on the rim and I'm back on a matching set. It's nice knowing folks with the means to fix a problem like that right away.

22. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Nice. Glad it was a simple fix

23. John

John Active Member

I've recruited a fellow BD driver for the next trip

24. John

John Active Member

We are going to a few new spots tomorrow if anyone would like to join

25. pankopp

pankopp Member

well damn, I always see this thread too late. Next time you guys go out. I want to join, looks like fun.

26. cMags

cMags Member

Some photos from this past Sunday. I think the next planned outing is the 22nd.

Here's the three of us, Wayne (ninja01) in the gold fozzie, myself in the OBS, and John in the OB wagon, just arriving at the trails (look how clean the cars are).

[​IMG]

First, some fun in the dirt field:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then we parked the lowered OB and rode into the trails with the fozzy and lifted OBS.

[​IMG]

First of many mud puddles:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gettin dirty:

[​IMG]

Powerline trails:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More mud:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

End of the trail, turn around and do it again:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And back out to the field to hang to try:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fun times.

27. John

John Active Member

I'm going to make a new GTG thread for the next one here in just a bit

28. Smokin_Joe

Smokin_Joe Member

looks like fun. The forester has some clearance.

I'll keep an eye out for the next run since I'm in Woodstock.
    Joe