Job postings with no salary posted

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cool_____, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

What is up with all the job postings everywhere yet they don't post the salary. I find it frustrating and kinda hate to ask up front what is the salary range. I think it's important to know the salary range up front.

For instance my wife is in DSS (Dept of Social Svcs) and she works in Foster care....absolutely HORRIBLE job to work but at the time it was all that was available when she got out of college.

We all know the economy and job market just absolutely blows. But I don't see why the salary isn't posted. In my wife's case, you would like to know if you can afford to quit your current job. We can take a pay cut but not an extreme pay cut.....therefore knowing the salary range up front is important. Why waste everyone's time if you find out that the salary isn't gonna be enough?

So my question is why they do this and also do you think asking before sending a resume is a bad thing? I've never had to deal with anything like this....I already had my job lined up for me up front out of college thanks to family friends in high places. And any offers externally I've gotten told me the salary range.

Maybe the wife should send in resume's and if they are interested she can ask when they contact her? But I still think it's a waste of time.

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

If you ask and they get offended or defensive or don't answer, then its not enough. TRUST ME. Why they do it? no clue, but it is a very important question (probably the #1 question) NOT asked by applicants. then they get hired only to find out the pay isn't enough to deal with what they have to on a day to day basis.

DONT GET SCREWED. ask in the interview when the interviewer asks 'do you have any questions?'

3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

That's just it. I think they should know BEFORE the interview. Why waste time off from a current job to find out you are interviewing for a job that won't pay enough.

See what I'm trying to say? If you know the pay up front, you know if you can afford to apply or not.

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

because it's typically based off the individuals qualifications that gets that job. I think there should at least be something to the extent of: xx position starts at $85k per year or what have you.

5. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

At one point I was trying to stay in the construction industry and it was the same way. I got to the point where I wouldn't go on interviews unless they told me the salary range.

One of the first interviews I went on I made the mistake of not asking. Mind you this job should have been a 75k to 110k a year position on the low end. They offered me the job at 35K... My first reaction was laughter.

Never went on another interview after that without knowing the salary.

6. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yes that's what I would like to see. Range of job is $xx,000 to $xx,000 depending on qualifications.

All the postings just state what the job is and where to contact. Absolutely NONE with salary ranges unless it's a state job.

7. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

You see that what I'm talking about. Why should my wife waste time applying and going to interviews not knowing what the pay scale is. We are on a fixed budget. We know how much of a loss in her pay we can afford without giving up anything we do now so we are adamant on that for the time being. Therefore it's nice to know the salary ranges.

Do you think it's wrong to call the employer prior to sending a resume and asking for the salary range? I've done this a few time and got zero answers and simply got a if you are interested send in your resume/application.

It's RETARDED if you ask me.

8. slowwrx

I think you should send the resume and in a cover letter with the resume very respectfully ask for the salary range for the job. Chances are if they decline to give it to you then she probably doesn't want to work there.

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Good idea.

10. Max Q

Max Q Member

Just to add to the fire, my girlfriend recently responded to an ad for a job doing senior care that advertised $18/hr. During the interview, they told her that she would be cleaning toilets and mopping floors every night (janitor) and that it paid $7.50 (or whatever min is). They added that her pay is none of anyone's business and that it's offensive to even discuss it in the interview.

In so many words, she told them to eff off for wasting her time, that they are insane for assuming that she would just accept that pay is somehow irrelevant, and that if she wanted to make minimum wage, it wouldn't be earned wiping up crap and mopping floors.

I guess it's a seller's market...

11. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yeah.....they are getting cheap labor from people who absolutely will do anything for a minimal amount of pay. It started when all the layoffs began. I know in the past you always saw a pay scale listed in some form.

12. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Honestly, with the absurd numbers of people applying for jobs nowadays, it could be smart not posting the actual number. (it frustrates me too by the way.). If someone isn't willing to ask about it, they are not that excited about the position/willing to work, they are an easy reduction to the number of applicants that aren't going to get hired. You could probably write a book based on what it means.

I like the cover page idea as a way to throw the question out there. It gives you a little edge probably on other people, as you are immediately interested in asking about the job, not necessarily just throwing your resume around.

13. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

By putting up a salary range, they are immediately limiting the pool of applicants.

I agree, a Salary Range is helpful, but it is the applicants responsibility to get answers for questions like that if they are really interested in the position. Sure, it would save you a sick day at your current job if you knew up front the pay was not good enough, but again, that takes you out of the applicant pool, which is more important for the company doing the hiring than your having to use a day to come in for an interview.

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

That makes absolutely no sense. By getting people out of the applicant pool, they are losing out on potential candidates more qualified to the job. They pretty much are kicking out all current working people because if it's several jobs that are interviewing, that's several days wasted.

15. Jake

Jake Active Member

that's the workforce though. it amuses me how some people will quit their current jobs before even searching for a new job, because they assume A) they are qualified enough for any job they might apply for (not in this economy) or B)think as soon as they apply they magically start working (don't think about the wait until the job is pulled from the listing before the actual interview process, the interview process which takes days or weeks, the drug screens, the training (some unpaid), and all the red tape) before you actually get a paycheck.

16. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

For the record.....I'm not saying 420 made no sense with the comment I quoted....he did. I'm saying that the workforce doing so makes no sense. :)

17. techlord

techlord Active Member

*painful* but I agree with cool. In fact I hate that shit just give a range and don't waste anyones time including your own

18. John

John Active Member

They do that because they basically want to "feel out" applicants. If a semi-professional 21 year old walks in, they will likely do the same job for much less then a 35 year old.

19. trouble06

trouble06 Member

^^^ Of course, but the 35 year old MIGHT have more experience. You got to climb the ladder before getting to the top.
    Before you apply for a job do some research over the internet (this is your friend right there) before getting a sick day out of your current job, then if you've never done the kind of job you apply for don't expect to get top money. If you're, already, in the field you apply for, you should know what's the position worth and what the current money market is for that job (internet is again your friend!).
    Right now,employers are looking for qualified people because they don't want to jeopardize their business in that kind of economy. The beautiful thing in this country is you can have as many jobs as you want and make as much money as you want but when people are not qualified well, they're not. Sometimes it's better to have only one job and do it well and get top money for it.
    I'm in the restaurant business (22 years already) and I've been working in the same place for the past 3 years and we had guys that had the same title as I do and I was paid $1 to $1.50/hour more than what they were paid but I was doing twice the work and they had no drive/motivation in what they were doing. It was just another job.
    Of course, employers are not posting salaries in advertising because they want to have responsible employees and they'll try to get it cheap but if you know what you're worth...
    If you know what the market is then you can get a sick day out of your current job and apply for another one but, of course, you might not win the first time!

20. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Oh love ya too Rick *no homo* :rofl:

21. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

climb the ladder before getting to the top?

pfft.

22. slowwrx

I find its easier to take the elevator.

23. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

What's even funnier than Nicad's statement is a gas station clerk thanked his post.

24. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

HEY HEY hey.
    Glorified Janitor thank you very much! :D

25. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

You are a master of the custodial arts. Or a janitor, if you wanna be a dick about it

26. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

That's a much better way to put it. Master of the custodial arts.

27. Jake

Jake Active Member

i like sanitation engineer

28. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Human waste picker upper.

29. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

You guys must have it really good. I know people who dont care how much the pay is, as long as it's a paying job.

30. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

we have 32 positions open now at my company. I realize the unemployment rate is at its highest right now..but....

edit: forgot to put it into perspective, we have 120 people working here now. Matt how much is webmd at now? (open jobs)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  31. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Ummm are the salary ranges posted? If so what this have to do with this thread?

32. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

i'm so sorry. :wiggle:

i was confronting the dude above my post trying to make people feel bad that we're in a bad economy and shouldn't be questioning how much they pay.

33. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I know dude....was just playing. 32 jobs though.....what in the world is it that bad that the unemployment folk just won't apply?

Guess the question should be what kind of jobs are they?

34. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

we sell write/sell medical (OR) software. so the support/implementation people, some development jobs, sales jobs, and some project management stuff.

I looked at webmd.com. if you do any distance, they have 7 pages with about 20 jobs per page lol.

Not really sure what to think of it to be honest. I can't tell if it is people not applying for jobs that haven't posted salaries, or if it is lack or motivated or qualified people.

^^ See, post is now related to thread :p

35. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

:p Well that's more of a qualification issue there. There is a shortage of software development qualified people compared to say 10 yrs ago. But the vast majority of unemployed folks have no college education......the skilled worker job force has substantially weakened.