i dont know what i want...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mokinbird87, Oct 17, 2011.

1. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

if you were going to spend about 25k on a car what would you do?

1. keep the wrx, mod the hell out of it, buy another daily (like a luxury suv or something); this way i get to have maximum fun and still have a ride to take the ladies out with

2. buy a used porsche boxster (which i am in love with at the moment); it's the ultimate indulgence, but logic tells me i`m not ready financially... also I dunno if i can live with a two seater being my only car.

3. buy the new ft86 when it comes out; looks promising but i think everytime i see a boxster on the road, thinking that i could have gotten a porsche instead of the ft86 would kind of bother me. However it does seem like a good balance of fun and practicality.

still got lots of time to decide but just wanted to know what you guys would do. I get a feeling most of you would opt for #1?

2. jchon3

jchon3 Supporting Member

This is a preference thing so only you can make the right decision.
    Me personally, i would wait until the scion FR-S or w/e comes out and THEN start deciding. You dont want to buy the porsche now, and then slap yourself in the forhead if the "FT-86" is awesome ya know?
    Never hurts to wait a bit

3. Jake

Jake Active Member

keep the wrx, get a reliable DD that also gets good gas mileage.

modding the 'hell' out of a wrx will negate both

4. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Keep the WRX and leave it alone. Buy a nice Honda Civic for like $6-8k for a DD. Keep the rest of the money and spend it on something that keeps value....like a house for example.

5. Jake

Jake Active Member

that, or just savings/401k/investment

6. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

401k/investment in this economy probably isn't a very stable thing to do. See too many people actually losing money this way.

7. Jake

Jake Active Member

good point, invest in China

8. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

6.0 z51 package corvette. You can wheel and deal for one with a bit higher mileage, and blow all of those cars out of the water. 28mpg on the highway, cheapest of cheap insurance, fast on another level of fast(compared to the cars considered).

Or if that wasnt an option to you. Modding the hell out of anything is pretty much a bad idea, huge money, huge time, and all for what usually works out to be a huge pain in the ass.

So FT86 or boxster? Well besides how most people feel a boxster is a chick car, they are the shit when it comes to handleing. You are limited on any sort of real straight line speed, but not like the ft-86 is going to be any faster. Tough call, 2 different cars it seems, i would look more into porsche maintenance to see if it was a bitch to own and maintain.

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

$25K? go buy a used Kia Rio and take the remaining $24.6K and buy some land.

10. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Save the money. Get a good FA.

11. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Question is, is this $25K cash in the bank or $25k that you are willing to borrow/apply to credit.

Don't borrow if you don't have to. I learned the hard way with the WRX even though it was paid off. You can get so far ahead if you do without for a few years and just save up.

12. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

13. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Invest in life insurance. Not in just the death benefit, but investing your money in it.
    My friend just got into the business, apprenticing under a family friend who is doing incredibly well financially, all because of his working hard at a well paying job that's 100% commission.
    Apparently, the money that is invested is not taxed because it's considered a loan. And you can't lose it because it's not based off of the stock market.

Of course, this would benefit more if you were starting to invest at a younger age. But you can always benefit from it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  14. mokinbird87

yea the 25k is just an amount I found reasonable spending on a new car, not something i have in my pocket. My car has 175K miles and I think it will last me till I find a job out of college, but realistically, after 200k miles, it would start to worry me. I guess the logical thing to do is to sell my car when it has any sort of value left in it and get myself into something cheap and reliable.

It seems like I am losing interest in modding the car, but whenever i go for a ride in a properly tuned one it gets me going again (i change my mind everyday it's pretty annoying) and I would love to finish this car so that it can be a daily driver and a weekend auto-x car. I dont really care for 0-60 times, I just want a confident handling car that feels rewarding to drive. For me, even with modest power/suspension mods on the WRX just doesnt do it for me; I want something a bit more sporty and sensitive and I dont think mods will fix the way a car feels (it will somewhat but it wont change it's natural characteristics) vs how much faster it will go (i.e. AWD will always feel a certain way vs RWD). but the porsche is well... a porsche haha.. it's the little things that make this car a joy for me personally; even a small thing like the door hinge pulling upward a bit when you open the door. It also has a convertible top, flat-6 sound, left ignition yada yada, it just oozes class and quality, and most importantly, it's born to be a sportscar unlike the impreza chassis (which is why the ft86 is so interesting... it will have the toyota reliability and maintenance cost along with the sportscar DNA). It even gets better gas mileage than the wrx.

Corvette would be nice but I cant stand the interior and thats the end of it... putting up with my car for the past 100k miles was enough; i want to drive something a bit nicer.

wrx + another car = cheapest solution, will be content with this choice. the other car HAS to be a luxury smooth car. I plan on daily driving the wrx and using the other car as a weekend/long trip car. it makes sense to daily a car that wont matter with depreciation. Also, if I tune the car, i wanna be able to enjoy it everyday not just on the weekends.
    boxster/ cayman = most indulgent choice, may run into a few problems in everyday life, but none that cant be solved with parents' van or friend's truck. probably the most expensive, but I assume it will be worth every penny and I know for sure I will enjoy it.
    ft86 = jack of all trades but doesnt hit high on anything... probably on par or cheaper compared to keeping the wrx + another car. a more logical choice versus the other two... techincally i dont NEED to have two cars, I want to, I dont HAVE TO HAVE the porsche, I want to.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  15. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Get a cheap car, save the rest. The best advice i can give ANYONE is save. After you have 1/4 of a million-- the interest/capital gain at that point will make you VERY happy.

16. slade1274

slade1274 Member

I lol'ed
    I lol'ed again
    how would you mod the hell out of the car if you don't have the cash money? Trust me that I'm being the biggest hypocrite in the world as I didn't heed this advice until into my 30's, but put the budgeted car payment into a bank account earmarked for your next car. That way you have any money to repair the current vehicle. It's also much easier to not spend it when you are pulling $25k out of an account; hence making retirement that much closer.

17. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

In this economy housing is at pretty much the lowest it's been. It may drop more but it won't be a whole lot. I bought my home with 3 acres of land 2 yrs ago for CHEAP. My mortgage payment is lower than most people's car payments. I make 3 house payments a month. In 4 years my home is paid for in full.

Cars......you lose out the butt once you drive off the lot....new or used (used in 90% of situations). A house (house...not some manufactured trailer) for the most part unless you bought it at the top of the housing boom curve, will hold and maintain it's value.

18. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Easy....with the biggest evil in the world.....credit.

19. mokinbird87

looks like i gotta start planning on a new motor+tranny combo for wrx then... probably cheapest / most reliable way to get another 100k miles. I refuse to drive something like a nissan versa or honda fit, i just dont feel safe in those cars.

20. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

HAHA! Still going through this dude...

21. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

buy another daily (like a luxury suv or something)