Insurance companies.... what a racket

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by slade1274, Oct 17, 2011.

1. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Car got broken into. Damage to car. Stuff stolen.

Car deductible is $250 for the damage to car.

Home owners is $1k deductible for personal property.

Policies are with SAME COMPANY.

Yep- both deductibles apply on the same claim; and there was only ~$650 worth of 'stuff' stolen. What has two thumbs and is getting screwed- This guy.

[/rant]

2. nygiant

nygiant Member

Insurance is a scam...for the money most people pay every month, you can easily put that away and insure yourself.
    Sorry for your loss dude...what company is this with?

3. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Travelers....

And I don't necessarily agree- I know a person that lost EVERYTHING to a home fire. State Farm took care of him up to his policy limit. Has a killer new home to show for it.

I own my car outright- no way I'd only keep PLPD (Michigan term for liability) on it even though I "can". I just think with all this "multi policy discount" garbage they market to their clients that it would actually apply to some degree on the back end as well.

4. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

i HATE travelers.

5. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

So for stuff stolen from inside your car you have to get homeowners insurance involved? I always thought if it was stolen from in your car your car insurance covers?

6. slade1274

slade1274 Member

lol.... not sure there are any that are "liked"

I could swear it has gone onto auto policies in the past and that the home owner's if not in your car.... but either we are wrong and/or I'm getting screwed. As it is highly unlikely we are wrong :rofl: I must be getting screwed.

7. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

If it happens in your driveway, which is an extension of your home, it's a homeowners claim.

8. slade1274

slade1274 Member

This happened 500 miles from my home- which is "still" in lawrenceville until next week.

9. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

I thought auto covered everything "installed" in the car, but not any loose items like a pair of shoes for example.

Sucks, hope everything works out for you in the end. Doesn't sound very promising.

10. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

^^^^ this

Most car policies cover theft of the VEHICLE. contents aren't the vehicle.

Your house policy covers contents which include things parked on your premises at the time.

11. nygiant

nygiant Member

well i was mainly referring to car insurance. i have a strong hate for car insurance companies

12. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

What I often wonder is why the government is so irresponsible as to force citizens to carry liability insurance to drive legally, but then doesn't educate its subjects on what they're forcing them to buy.

You would think that would be an important characteristic of some type of compulsory law.

13. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

well then....welcome to Florida!!

:|

14. slade1274

slade1274 Member

15. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah, basically if it was parked down the street, all that would have been covered is the glass breakage/damage to car. but since it was in a driveway (most homeowners will cover even if its not your driveway, as long as its not a shitty neighborhood/one they cover otherwise), homeowners covers the loose stuff. so you have to pay homeowners for the stuff, and auto for the damages.

16. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

That blows.

17. liltoua

liltoua Member

I'm in the same situation right now. My parents don't want a claim on their house for the stolen parts around and inside my car. The only problem is, if the insurance saw my car in it's current state, they would probably total my car and take it away which I'm not gonna let happen.