On the fence 05' STi or 06' EVO IX

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AutoxSTi, Dec 15, 2011.

1. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

So as some of you know, an 18 year old kid rearended the STi. It's totaled and now I need another car. So I've been doing research and searching around for the past week and a half. I love AWD cars. So the things I like and hate or hated about subarus and evos. I've driven both cars. The STi the most, obviously.

BTW, this is just my take on it. Haters gonna hate.

Subaru(The Hate)
    Cost to much to get 400whp
    Unsure of ringland failure on used ones
    Tired of the rumble sound
    Hate the ugly blue interior
    Cost too much to build the motor
    Cost too much to get a rotated kit
    Cost too much to get a used transmission
    Cost too much to get a used low mileage motor
    Hated the stock bouncy suspension
    Bird's nest under the hood
    Ugly Hood scoop and Massive spoiler
    Hated the seats, made for people with ultra wide hips and love handles. Felt horribly uncomfortable

Subaru(The love)
    80% of the parts are like legos
    Good forum Community

EVOs(The Hate)
    Semi ugly interior-mainly the steering wheel and dash
    Ugly spoiler, rear window defuser
    Ugly diamond logo
    Crappy Manufacture Name

EVOs(The Love)
    Cheaper to make more power
    Love love love the Recaro seats
    Love the color of the interior

So I'll be test driving a handful of the EVOs and STIs this weekend. Only one will win my heart.

2. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

I don't understand.

3. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Its easier to get more power out of the evos, at least what i heard.

4. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

oh its very easy.
    pretty much; STI's -tranny is bullet proof and as for EVO's - block is bullet proof(to a certain threshold).
    a buddy of mine blew his evo built shep 5spd box, bought a used oem 5spd for under 1000...

5. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

We have been doing a lot of the 2.4 evo motors recently and its got me wanting to build a 2.4 with a twinscroll GTX30R or Borgwarner equivalent.

I like the EVOs as far as making power but the interior build quality is terrible and as far as a daily goes I think they feel cheap.

6. b reel

b reel Active Member

buy a KIA

7. MeFryRice

MeFryRice Member

Being that I've owned both money pits, it boils down to what you want to do with the car.

For everyday use, I prefer the Subaru. I'm not sure if it's just me but the Subaru feels smaller on the inside which I like whereas I could tell I was driving a sedan with the Evo. People complain about the interior quality of the Evo, I never had any issues.

If you're looking for the better performance candidate, the Evo all day long. No if, and or buts. The dollar per hp ratio is greater with the Evo. The 4G63 is a rock solid engine that you can enjoy without the fear of something failing. Every time I drive the Subaru, the thought of something deciding to call it quits that day is on the back of my mind. It almost ruins the fun in the car.

8. dtweezy

dtweezy New Member

going by your pros and cons chart..i'd say you're already leaning towards evo anyways..

go shop them at and see how you enjoy driving them.

9. amonsta

amonsta Member

I think since owning a sti before you should go for the evo. After having both I'm like the handling of the evo but manliness of the sti. Or go for a newer sti it's more refined.

10. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

I would stick with the Subaru because Mitsubishi Lancer Evo owners are generally known as hooligans. :keke:

11. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

speaking of hooligans, get out of here! [​IMG]

12. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

I certainly felt the same way every time I drove the STi. Dumped so much money into fixing the little things. Very annoying at times. Just fixing leaks alone cost me around $200 for parts. Also, fear of the oil pickup tube was one of them. So I dumped close to $200 for a killer b pickup tube. Fuel leak sucked poopy as well. Hated it for a couple of weeks, smelling raw fuel or burnt oil that was leaking from the valve cover. The other part I feared was the timing belt. You had to change all 4 of the tensioners which could add up quick. Massive vacuum leaks from the engine was the part I hated and had to diagnose. Ended up finding a quarter size leak in the stock turbo inlet. Replacing that with an APS hard inlet was no joke. The trans had to be rebuilt as well with a 4th gear grind when downshifting. So that would have cost more money eventually.

13. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

LOL!!! Mazda owners!!! J/P, J/P!!!

14. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Whats wrong with being a hooligan?

15. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Evos if done right tend to be more reliable and last longer. They don't make as much tq but you can make so much power so easily with them in stock form.

The STi has a better interior. You just have to ask yourself what you want.

16. MeFryRice

MeFryRice Member

For those that don't like the Evo interior, what exactly is it that you don't like?

17. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Cheap plastic look surrounds and a boring dash.

18. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

The dash is ugly, the center console doesn't look like it even belongs in the car and the gear shifter is....out of place.

That and the cheap plastic they use. Granted Subaru doesn't exactly use high quality plastics in the interior, however, I feel it's definitely better quality than Mitsubishi.

19. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

But that's an easy fix with some JPM loving :)

20. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Sounds like you don't like Sti's anymore so why even consider it?

21. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

His cons for the STi far outweigh the ones for the Evo. His Evo cons are purely cosmetic and easily fixable too.

22. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

Ur mum drives a kia pet. :p

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  23. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

Yep, cheap plastic look on the interior. Drove a EVO X today. Clutch was going bad at 50k miles...What the heck. Heck to da NO on that car. Interior was cheap looking on the X as well. Sheez!!!

24. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

B/c I have a rotated kit sitting in the garage, rotors, black carpet, door panels, sti black floor mats, rubber all weather matts, coilovers, extra set of bbs oem rims 5x114, tic bushings for the rearend and shift bushings-tons more bushings.

I did feel claustrophobic in the EVO X. Guess I didn't get use to it yet. Might look at the new 4 door STi.

25. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

for me they are both go-fast-stripped-out generic jap sedans (lets be honest the two cars wont win any awards for nice interior so no point in discussing... these cars arent made for that kind of thing although recently they are pretending to be a bit nicer), subie just has more character and personality. evo looks like any other mainstream cars IMO.

BTW can i suggest a C6 vette?

26. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

Funny you suggested a vette cause the EVO I tested tonight was at a Chevy dealer with 30+ vettes sitting in the front lot. I liked the idea of a two seater but then where would I put my kids? And car shows would consist of older farts cept caffine and octane...LOL!

27. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

a cheap interior can be solved, talk to jpm about that.

28. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

I was thinking that. I think I'll get an EVO IX for now. I'll still have the wife's forester. I'll end up inheriting it one of these days and I'll still be on the wrxatlanta forums.

29. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Enjoy it. The bottom line is that they are two completely different cars with two entirely different approaches to the same end. The EVOs just feel cheap, that's the problem I have with sitting or driving in them. They're fun, but fun wears off in a few weeks after sitting in traffic day in and day out. I'd look at a 2009 WRX :)

30. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

i completely agree, evo and sti are different in every single aspect but same results.

31. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

Yeah yeah...I'll probably come back to Subbies once I get tired of the EVO or if it gets rearended...hope not..LOL!

32. lsnaple

lsnaple Member

S4? May not be super powerful for cheap, but I see alot of complaining about cheap feels in this thread. Easily the nicest of the three. Or sell all your extra stuff and RS4...oh yea.

33. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

I looked at buying an RS4 a year ago. From what I keep hearing, they're high maintanence or at least cost too much when service needs to be done on them.

34. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Not looking at anything else? R32? 335ix?

35. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

You are quite strong about not having to do a lot of maintenance....that right there eliminates any Euro brand.

36. lsnaple

lsnaple Member

Is a built evo/sti not high maintenance?

37. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

He never mentioned a "built" Evo. Stock they are quite sound if you do the normal stuff and don't beat the crap out of it.

38. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

he mentions 400hp, not really built built, but not stock

39. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

You can do that on stock turbo and engine. To do that reliably on STi....built.

40. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Just stick to your original comment. Stock they are quite sound, don't try to make it sound like 400hp is going to be perfectly reliable

41. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

No reason it won't be. I know TONS of stock turbo'd Evo's tuned to the max.....zero issues.

42. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

yea, a buddy of mine had his evo 9 on the stock turbo e85 @ 35 psi...THIRTY FIVE PSI. making 380~

i've never seen a defi boost gauge dig so far.

43. lsnaple

lsnaple Member

^ Is it even efficient at that range? Spec B maybe? A friend has a 3somethingXI, and even though I'm not really a bmw guy it's a pretty nice car, and not exactly slow. Nice interior and I LOVED the seats.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  44. MeFryRice

MeFryRice Member

If you want a money pit, buy a B5 S4. Everything about that car is terrible; turbos, transmission, electrical issues, etc. We seen them on a consistent basis and I tell people to stay far away unless you're aware of what you're getting yourself into. The B6 S4 is a different story; better build quality and the 4.2 V8 (N/A btw) is more solid.

My uncle had an RS4 which he traded for the new CTS-V. He had the CTS-V for all of 3k miles before trading that back in for another Audi? Why? The chrome on the interior door handles were already starting to flake and had a cheap interior. If the handles couldn't even last ~3k miles, he was concerned on what was going to happen down the road.

Although I don't feel the Evo is "cheap" like many people complain about, it's still a solid car that you can enjoy without having to worry about all the damn time.

45. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

Wow! 380 @ 35psi...sheez, high boost!!! Doesn't sound efficient for a 16g.

46. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

I got to drive an evo 9 all weekend. It wasn't as bad as what everyone or I had thought it to be. The steering wheel and the cluster looks out dated but the handling and the feel of the car is worlds different than an STi on tarmac. Loved the Recaro seats. I don't have wide hips, so the Recaros were perfect.

I also looked at the new 2011 wrx sedan but am compelled at some of the cheap plastic intake manifold they went to. Yes I know, the old aluminum absorbs heat. It just looked cheap in the engine bay. Interior was nice though. STi version was nicer.

47. 05WRXSTI

05WRXSTI Member

So what did you buy?

48. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

lol late reply but evo 9 is 18g, that was the tune that came on the car when he got it - it was a blast to drive and it spooled up quicker than my td04.

49. MitZu_EVO

MitZu_EVO Member

I WAS an Evo owner and that is a true statement, plus the Evo community blows.

50. MeFryRice

MeFryRice Member

I was an Evo owner as well. Just like every other community, you have the cool people and the dumbass kids/dbags. The local Evo community wasn't bad.