Is it Me, or Did Hard Drive Prices Damn Near Triple?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nygiant, Dec 18, 2011.

1. nygiant

nygiant Member

my aging sata WD 250gig is almost at 90% capacity, so i started looking around for hard drives more seriously this weekend. i've been looking casually over the last few months where i could have gotten a 500gig for 45 bucks or a 1TB drive for like 70 bucks...now those very same drives seemed to have doubled or tripled in price. WHAT THE FUCK

2. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Western Digital's production plant in Thailand or Taiwan, I'm not sure which, flooded and they lost about 60% of their annually projected stock.
    I looked it up on Cyber Monday, which is when I was looking for a new hard drive for more space. I looked at the prices after seeing that there were no deals on hard drives.
    It fucking blows but they had to up their prices by at least 2x to make up for their loss.

3. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

That's nuts and crappy. Glad I have my tb... Good luck w finding something!

4. nygiant

nygiant Member

That's understandable...but are the plants of all other manufacturers located in Thailand as well? SMH

5. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

I've seen man drives by fujitsu, seagat and WD made in philippines as well. Not sure if they move the plants from there to thailand.

6. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

Yeah. I was in the market to get a Drobo to get a more secure data backup system for my wifes work images but then I realized to get the storage I want with the drobo it would be about $1200 at current HDD prices. Just going to wait it out.

I was in Microcenter today, seagate 1tb 7200 rpm retail boxes were $135, I got them for $59 a year ago.

7. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

Good thing I got a drobo with a couple of drives for free...:) Thanks Drobo!!!

8. longfury

longfury Active Member

The manufacturing for pretty much all hard drives were hit by the flooding.

The HD prices going up 2-3 times is actually hurting us pretty bad right now.

9. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I had 2 new 2tb Hitachi Drives that I got 2.5X what I paid for them last year. It was Thailand's floods that hurt everyone.

10. techlord

techlord Active Member

^^yep
    HP just told us there may be a shortage through the first quarter of 2012.

11. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

They've only gotten ONE 'wd' plant back up since.

12. integroid

SSD's are looking better and better:)

13. longfury

longfury Active Member

It will be 6 more months before HD drives start to fall again.

SSD's on the other hand are starting to reach the mythical $1/GB mark. I say that within 1-2 years the traditional hard drive will be officially on the way out as SSD's will be cheap enough for computers of all pricing levels.

14. integroid

The only problem with SSD is if they die, you are absolutely screwed. No way of recovering any data. If a HDD dies, you can at least send it off and hopefully they can recover data on it.

15. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

That's why I alway back my stuff up to another drive or to a dvd disc. I do this once a month.

16. longfury

longfury Active Member

There are ways to recover data from SSD's. It depends on the type of failure. It is also even more expensive to recover data from an SSD than a traditional HD.

17. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

I usually never leave my stuff by itself on just one hard drive or any sort of storage device. The best method to prevent that is to just back your stuff up, like Auto said.
    Curious, how often do SSDs die anyway? The flash memory should take a good long while before it dies, no?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  18. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

there is only one type of failure i can think of that is recoverable, and thats onboard controller failure.

Unlike traditional hdd where even the same drive can have 9 different controller boards depending on needs/revisions, most SSD controllers are pretty well standardised.

All other failures are catastrophic total data loss results.

people have to understand, a flash drive stores info by constantly holding an electrical charge across the 'element' the data is stored. If that charge fails, even for a milisecond, the entire drive's data is lost. Without warning in most cases.

19. integroid

Our vendors that do HDD recovery won't touch a failed SSD if you can see it in the bios.

20. longfury

longfury Active Member

I agree with you guys. I knew that a board failure was the only type of failure with a chance of recovery.

An SSD should only be used for OS and apps anyway but there will be people who will use it like a normal hard drive and they will pay the price for being stupid eventually.

21. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Thanks for explaining the SDD vs HDD. I need to find a good external HDD for data storage.

22. integroid

I thought you were only deaf...not blind:) It is SSD (Solid State Drive)

All of our tablet PC's come with SSD drives. We have no way of adding anymore drives in those machines so we have to use them like a regular hard drive. Most of those users are being backed up by our DPM server or if they are heavy travelers, I just give them an external hdd that I setup a regular backup on. I have on that the user has had 4 failed SSD in one year. All of the failed drives seem to be Intel Drives.

I have 3 OCZ SSD drives at home without any issues at all.

23. longfury

longfury Active Member

That's odd about Intel drives. They supposedly have the lowest failure rate of all the drives out there.

At least they have you to make sure their stuff is backed up. Most users don't even have a clue about backing up their data.

24. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

25. nygiant

nygiant Member

thats pretty good for an external

26. integroid

I picked a new 2TB internal drive over the weekend for $60. Guy on craigslist bought it back in Oct, never used it, and had no idea HDD prices had gone up.

27. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

^^

so lucky, but im having hard time using up all of my 455gb drive lol. And its nice suggestion to look for them used like that, people dont know.

28. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

That was a steal Eddie. But $120 isn't bad either considering most are going for $160+.

I just needed one to put pictures on.....I'm gonna soon be taking lots of pics.

29. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

wow, my last 3TB internal was only around $100, iirc, I had no idea the prices sky rocketed like this.

lol, 455gb...I download that on a daily basis. Between wrxin80r and I's shitty taste in movies, we've blown through the better part of of 10TB

30. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

I don't have shitty taste in movies, thats just you.

31. 07Ltd#767

you downloaded a 15gb version of dazed and confused

you're wrong

32. wrxin8or

You do realize you're retarded, right?

33. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

What this all have to do with HD and pricing?

[​IMG]

34. wrxin8or

Hrmm...this is Off-Topic.

In other words, go fuck yourself San Diego

35. 07Ltd#767

I see my job of poking the fire to get things going is working marvelously

Mission accomplished

[​IMG]

36. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Mmmmmmm popcorn.

37. 07Ltd#767

wtf ninja delete, lol

38. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Yup ninja delete.... :|

39. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Why download them when you can just waych them online...

40. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Download...go to bar.....have movie ready to drunk watch when you get back.

41. 07Ltd#767

there are still commercials for the most part, and the availability / quality are still lacking.

It takes about 3 minutes to download an hour long show, about 10-15 to get a full movie. 720 / 1080P, full DTS surround.

Can you stream full movies online for free? I've thought about Netflix, but I've yet to see a positive upside to any of these services

42. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I like netflix, but lately they seem to be focusing on tv shows. the audio is there, the video quality is there, but there's a lack of new movies out. It's not really their fault though, it's the movie industry and their regulations.

:|

43. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Yeah Netflix's newer movie options blow. But I still have it cause I'm watching a ton of old stuff so I can still justify it.

44. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Check out Veetle.com if you havent heard of them. Best site for movies, shows, etc..

But with those download speeds i would download them too.