Gaming: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Matt, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

2. longfury

longfury Active Member

Yes, I have been playing it. I was able to get in on a couple of the beta weekends and really enjoyed the game and I pre-ordered after my time in beta.

It has a great story that is fully voice acted and that makes you care more about the 5 womp rats you have to kill. The combat animations make the combat feel like there is real impact and feel dynamic though it is still a hot key MMO like WoW.

I have put in way over 30 hours on my main since I got early access over a week ago and the only reason I am not playing now is my hand has cramped. The story really drives the game and each of the 8 classes has their own story.

3. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

I've been wanting to get it. It looks awesome, as all of the KoTOR series were, and I like MMOs.

4. longfury

longfury Active Member

It really is KoTOR that you can play with friends.

5. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

MMORPGs... never again...

lost years of my life to DAoC, everquest, and WoW

...and quake1, QWTF, quake3, CS...

6. b reel

b reel Active Member

Dig Dug was my Pitfall...

7. liltoua

liltoua Member

Yea I suckered my way into it and playing it now. I figure I would just play it for a month and see how I like it. I wanted to get back into a game after 4 years of WoW, so I picked up this game.

So far I like it. I think I'm just a WoW fanboy and to me it resembles WoW a bit. I still think I like WoW better, but well see as I put more hours into this character.

8. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

And this is why I now avoid them :rofl:

9. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

You're not just a fan boy, WoW is at the top, been there for a while. And millions of subscribers says it all, 10.3 million to be exact. Nothing even comes close to WoW IMO. I even tried Rift, just felt like a swing and miss vs. WoW. But we will see how WoW stands up against D3. Although it's still same company, WoW might still be on top for few years down the road.

What server are u on?

10. Matt

how many of that 10.3 million are farming bots though?

11. superdoughboy4

Diablo 3 can't be compared to WoW. They're two different genres of games.
    But D3 will definitely hit big and people will definitely play it for awhile. It's a game that's been anticipated for for a long ass time, just like SC2.

12. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

my guess? Around 2,000,000 lol.

But at the end of the day, its not like those bots are botting for free. They are still paying customers. Making their money back..

Just my .02 cents about d3, for those who haven't been keeping up:

With D3 coming out, blizzard is making a in game store, where players will be able to sell and buy items with real money, and take the money out and transfer it to their bank accounts, or paypal, or w.e. method you will be using. basically making black market legal. This is just another reason to why I'll jump on D3. I probably wont make a fortune, or next to nothing, but ill make it to where the game is going to be free to play.

With this new system, black market becomes legal.

13. superdoughboy4

Blizzard is supposed to get a percentage of whatever you sell if it's with real money.

14. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

^^

Indeed, I forgot to point that out.

15. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Looks cool. I've never played any of the games mentioned in this thread though.

16. WRXbryanATL

WRXbryanATL Member

personally waiting on diablo 3 and guild wars 2.. The dialogue is cool in swtor but ive heard that everyone skips it and its boring if you even bother to listen.. Also, they spent way to much time/money on the dialogue than the game itself and it has some issues. Its basically WoW with lightsabers.

Guild wars 2 is going to be an entirely different ball game.

on a side note, i dont believe wow has anywhere near 10.3 million subscribed players anymore. They lost a few million in the last few months if i remember correctly.

17. longfury

longfury Active Member

The voice acting and the story make the game(SW:TOR) for me. Without those I would not be playing it at all.

The 10.3 million number was at the last earnings call. It has probably fallen below 10 million by now and we will know sometime next month at the next earnings call.

18. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

The 10.3 million was announced in November of this year.

With Diablo 3 coming out, "blizzard" wont lose money, but wow will lose subscribers as a lot of people will move onto diablo3.

19. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Pitfall was my pitfall...

20. superdoughboy4

Well, people are missing on the gameplay that Bioware took so much time to develop. That's what they're known for. Anybody that just skips through the dialogue will potentially ruin the game for themselves, BUT, it's a Star Wars MMO so that's fucking AWESOME.
    Of course it will take longer to play through the game by reading/listening to the dialogue, but the only way to really immerse yourself in the story is be reading/listening to the dialogue.
    This is why KoTOR was a great series, and supposedly Dragon Age (dunnow never played).

21. longfury

longfury Active Member

I'll play TOR till GW2 comes a long. GW2 is an MMO without a monthly fee. Just buy the game and that's it. The gameplay also looks to be quite interesting as well.

22. Matt

from today's penny arcade:

[​IMG]

:rofl:

23. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

^^

she hot i wouldnt mind

24. Matt

She's clearly an alcoholic...look at that nose...

25. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

my favorite kind of girl

26. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Not sure how I missed this, but the Deborah and I have been playing this for a while now and enjoy it quite a bit. Great game, excellent storyline (especially on the sith side) and very good graphics. I forget the server....grand master zin or something, but we are both on as well as some cop buddies of mine from the SWG days (star wars galaxies).