Photography: WTB New DSLR

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by WRXbryanATL, Nov 29, 2011.

1. WRXbryanATL

WRXbryanATL Member

Looking for the best stores in this area to buy a used semi entry level DSLR.

Rebel t2i
    Nikon 3100D
    etc.

What are some options for stores? What are your opinion's on the above camera's or other entry levels. Thanks!

2. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I just bought a D7000 off NewEgg. See if they still have that deal going on.

The D3100 is a SUPERB entry level DSLR.

Also keep in mind whatever brand you go with you will likely be stuck with it for life if you get lenses. The lenses are not swappable from Canon to Nikon, etc.

Nikon's tend to be more user friendly in regards to button placement and functionality. More personal preference.

3. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

I have used at one time or another the mid-range/prosumer models of each of the manufacturers. Try all of the camera's that interest you, don't get stuck on just CaNikon. Any modern DSLR will allow you to take amazing photos if you know how to use it. The Sony SLT camera's are very intriguing for instance. What do you plan on shooting?

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

women
    cars
    women on cars
    cars on...women?

5. WRXbryanATL

WRXbryanATL Member

I was just as much interested in video as i was pictures. I have a bunch of traveling i will be doing soon and wanted a nice DSLR for that. I have taken a few classes in photography so i know the basics. I need to figure out what type of old 35mm my dad used to have because we have a TON of lenses for that. I believe only nikon is universal though when it comes to that type of thing.. the issues i saw with the 3100 is that the video focusing is very loud and you can hear it constantly doing it in the video because of the auto focus feature. Havn't found a flaw with the t2i yet.

A friend of mine recommended pentax, but i have played around with the t1i and t3 and have grown custom to them. Just kind of want to stick with canon or nikon.

6. WRXbryanATL

WRXbryanATL Member

Mainly interested in stores around here that sell used camera's. A photographer friend of mine said although they are not on display.. many stores have them.

7. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Don't discount craigslist. I would thoroughly test anything I thought about buying from there, but some good deals to be had. Also, KEH.com sells used equipment and is reputable and in Alpharetta, but their prices are nothing special. Definitely find out what your Dad's glass is as that will be the greatest cost if you decide to get into the hobby more. Pentax DSLRs can accept any lens ever produced for the K mount and even the screw mount lenses with an adapter, Sony can use old Minolta glass as the mount for Sony Camera's is the old Minolta mount. Be careful if its Nikon Glass, the lower end camera's are gimped when it comes to using older glass, there is no focus motor in the body, you will need to buy motorized lenses to get auto focus to work. Good luck in your search!

8. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Why didn't he tell you what stores those are? :p

Microcenter has them as does best buy and whatnot. Finding a Wolf Camera now is difficult.

Personally, I bought mine on Amazon. I have a 5100.

9. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

Craigslist can be a great source for used Camera gear. I would try to meet at Showcase so they can check out anything really expensive before you purchase it. Unless you know what you are looking for.

KEH has already been suggested, they are very well known and are very straightforward with their grading system.

While I won't bag on Sony. Sticking with either Canon or Nikon will make future upgrading and selling your old gear so much easier. The market for those two companies is just much bigger.

Most importantly, spend some time shooting with what you are thinking of purchasing. I know that there are lots of people on the boards that shoot with Nikon and a few that shoot canon. If you come to the meet tonight I'll bring a 5d so you can fiddle with it.

10. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Nikon D7000 or Canon 60D or Canon 5D if you are just as interested in video as you are stills. The others are not as video capable.

11. WRXbryanATL

WRXbryanATL Member

One last question....

So i got the t2i and i have a ton of old lenses.. Some are the old canon type lenses, and some are old sigma lenses. Where can i buy adapters for these lenses? I have googled searched old canon to new canon. etc.. But i think what i really need is the name of the adapter type. Thanks!

12. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

13. WRXbryanATL

WRXbryanATL Member

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  14. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Here's the quick and dirty for you :) FD & FL are Canon specific (as far as I know) lens mount standards, similar to how VGA or DVI are different standards for video adapters. Generally speaking the older lenses are of equal quality and carry a smaller used price tag. However, they tend to not have any sort of auto-focus built into themselves as found on some of the newer lens technology.

[​IMG]
    Lens mount closeup. Source: Wikipedia

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2012