Concealed carry.....an in depth discussion

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CelticPride, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

Compared to how -I- was being pre-judged? I don't think it was presumptuous in the least to simply ask the question openly. And in fact, the reactions to what I was merely SUGGESTING, not ordering or preaching or demanding or insulting anyone over isn't in any kind of proportion to compare intellectually to me asking a question.

In fact, I will go one step further to say that its not enough to answer this question once in one's own mind and be done with it. Instead it should be asked every time you leave the house/car with that weapon, chambered or not.

But I do find it interesting that this part of what I said people chomp at the bit to answer:
    But the sentiment even more important than that one is the one that I put immediately after that; and its been glossed over in my estimation:

People don't seem to be ready to answer that second one with the same zeal as the first.

Instead, I get alot of "Well, -I- know what I'm doing..." and that response is just vacuous to my ears.

I'm gonna bow out because it doesn't look like I'm being persuasive in the least to anyone here.

2. Texsun

Texsun Member

Not sure if you are saying it was me about the show of force but I was talking about cambering a round in anticipation to engage target with that noise it could possibly be a deterrence and change targets intentions.

I also said "With that being said a weapon should never be presented unless intended to be used at that current time..."

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  3. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

I'm not sure what response you're looking for from us. Obviously nobody wants to go out there and shoot anybody, but along the same lines, nobody wants to go out there and BE SHOT by someone.

I would love to be able to take the Daniel Jackson approach to life, unfortunately that's not the hand that we as free citizens have been dealt. You prepare for the worse, you hope for the best.

Weapon safety and training is a different discussion from concealed carrying topic, both which have been merged in this thread. However, they go one in the same. I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said; in fact, I agree with all of it. In a perfect world, what you laid out is the optimal approach. Unfortunately, this isn't a perfect world, and preparation in this case is the difference in life and death.

4. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

It seems like you are equating a loaded firearm to a volatile chemical, just waiting to for it explode at any second. Guns dont just "go off" without some sort of user interaction (being accidental or deliberate). I wouldnt consider chambering the gun to be the primer. The primer for accidental discharge IMO would be unsafe handling procedures.

5. b reel

b reel Active Member

well there are quite a few Barney Fife's on here... but I doubt many own a shirt with a chest pocket to keep their bullet in

6. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Not trying to make light of a serious conversation...but a lot of this is reminding me of a Get Shorty quote.

Ray "Bones" Barboni: [noticing Ronnie likes to flash his gun a lot] You must be one of those quick-draw artists, the way you've got your gun down on your belt like that.
    Ronnie Wingate: Whatta you got there, a Wop 9? Fuckin' Fiat of guns, always jammin' on you at the wrong time.
    [Bones nods, smiles and shoots him 4 times]

Flash your gun or showing it to someone who already has it pointed at you is a bad idea in most cases if you are just looking to scare them off. Draw to shoot or don't pull it out at all.

7. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Heh let me hear/see (granted I hear ya....I know b reel is waiting on a deaf joke) you chamber a round in front of me in a hostile situation.....by the time you are done you will be feeling pain cause I'm already chambered and ready to fire.

8. Texsun

Texsun Member

Everything is METT-TC

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012