Brake Pad Opinions

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by rsutton1223, Mar 23, 2012.

1. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

My current pads (can't remember the name honestly) on my Brembo's dust like crazy! It almost seems like just pulling the car out of the driveway after washing it makes the wheels dusty.

What is a good street/spirited driving/occasional track use pad that won't completely throw dust everywhere?

StopTechs? Hawk?

2. slade1274

slade1274 Member

get black wheels so you can't see the dust.... oh.... wait.... never mind. :p

3. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

You can still see it! It looks brown on flat black wheels.

4. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Honestly there isnt a good pad wvailable that doesnt dust. Atleast not one that i would take to the track

5. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

My stoptechs dust less and make less noise then the typical HPS setup. Hot lapped them doing 1:10's on tally with a 1 +g of braking and they held up fine. Wouldnt be the pad i would put on my race car, but so far for a street pad they have been better then the hawks by a long shot.

Hope this helps.

6. jdmyourlife

jdmyourlife Member

I heard stoptech make noise when going from drive to reverse and vis versa, due to the pads not being the corrects side for the calipers.. only for brembo is whats being said.

7. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

you nailed it. pads do tend to make noise when switching gears/direction, and usually when installed into calipers they were not designed to fit in.

But alteast they dont make noise when braking right????

Atleast you dont have the problem i have, my brake pads make noise all night sitting in my garage, its very annoying.

8. longfury

longfury Active Member

Which Stoptech pads are you talking about? I have been looking at the Stoptech street performance brake pads for awhile and thinking about getting a set. My car is never tracked and only driven on the street.

9. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Im talking about the street performance pads.

I tracked mine as well in mid 60's temps on 235" ps2's and ate super blue(stock otherwise), turning decent lap times and encountered no fade(at little tally). Certainly wouldnt be running them if i was on rcomps and/or having 15+ min sessions of trying to set a lap record, but so far they are my favorite and most affordable street pad to date.

10. longfury

longfury Active Member

Other than occasional mountain abuse, my car is just daily driven up and down the interstate. I wouldn't want to have a pad any less aggressive than the stockers though.

Thanks for the input.

11. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

hawk's street pads fade too quick.

i like ferodo's

carbotech's on track

12. Jake

Jake Active Member

i think i post this in every brake pad question thread, but:

great stopping power, low price, low dusting

you can only pick two

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  13. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

i want max stoppage and no dust.
    NO dust.

14. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

i had hp+ pads in the front and dear god they caked my wheels with dust
    hps on the rear and they were very easy to clean
    i currently have the centric posiquiets which dust a little more than the hps's.

15. Jake

Jake Active Member

not possible, but if it was, then price would be astronomical

16. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

you said pick two.

17. Jake

Jake Active Member

and you did, that's the point. you can't have great stopping pads and low dusting without paying a ridiculous amount. and you can't have cheap pads that dust well and expect them to stop for shit, and so on and so forth

18. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

I found the Stoptech pads dusted the my wheels (mainly fronts) really quick, probably a couple days after cleaning. Also thought they were a bit noisy.

Switched to Hawk HPS and the wheels barely get dusty (it'll take three weeks before I notice the dust and no noise complaints with them.

19. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

HPS was a real downgrade compared to stock imo. Depending on your driving habits and what pads you are used to the HPS dust less but can't hold a candle to the stopping power of the oem(brembo) pads. I tried the HPS and quickly replaced them with HP+ (gave the HPS away). Tons of dust but the car stops a little better than stock. I have only gotten brake fade while running the dragon back and forth. I finally waxed the wheels after cleaning them and the dust comes off much easier now.

I will be trying the Ferodo DS2500's next.

20. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

I'll agree on the stoptechs being dusty for the performance they give.