What DIYs do we want?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Alex, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I'm making a list of ones we want/need. Also, I feel like this section, when it has a copious amount of DIYs, could be organized slightly better....but we'll cross that bridge when that dam breaks.

I know that some people find comfort in trivial how-to's...al la rear seat removal, etc. I feel like we should include a large range of DIY's from the trivial to the most complex. I will get started writing up a lot of these (obviously, those that I have done or are going to do). Unfortunately, I may not have photos from my installs and in which case will refer to the images from the shop manual or just descriptive narrative. Here's my current wanted list:

· Headlights
    · Rear Seats
    · Sway Bars
    · DP/UP/Axelback
    · Springs
    · SS Lines (and maybe a seperate one for Bleeding Brakes)
    · Steering Rack Bushing
    · ALK
    · UP CEL
    · FMIC
    · Intake
    · Audio (Door Removals, etc)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2005
  2. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

rear seats?

3. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

diff gauge installations

4. rolling_trip

rolling_trip Active Member

fuel pump replacement would have been nice to have, i should have taking pics

i will be installing a grounding kit, i will email pics to u alex

5. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

all of the above mentioned diys are already in the diy section in the scoobymods.com thread. ive been using this sight since early 02. always worked great for me. i mean they have everything from abs switches to watersprayers. if you want to type your own fine but if you dont have pics look for them there cause the pic makes the DIY. just MHO.

6. ScoobyMike

ScoobyMike OG Mod

injectors

7. Alex

I agree, but we can even just post here and link to scoobymods...for those who dont know about many other sites other than this one.

8. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Other DIY mods:
    how about other cool freebie mods for those of us who thought having their girl/wives do the bills was a good idea. hahaha
    I'm going to attempt the snorkus removal soon, any other low cost mods outthere?

9. Alex

Ah man, I saved a list of the cheap ones somewhere....ughh. I'll see what i can think of off the top of my head for you.

Free
    • Cleared Headlights
    • Snorkus Removal
    • Gutted UpPipe

Cheap (<$50)
    • Steering Rack Bushings
    • CG Lock
    • MBC (I dont recommend these so use at your own risk)

more to come,

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2005
  10. FTZ

FTZ ^.^

My 3rd Brake Light Mod

11. 1ll-WRX

1ll-WRX Active Member

gauge light color changes...keyhole color etc interior lighting...i think scoobymods has it already but not too sure....

12. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

gutted up pipe. what, how, benifits, hard? i think i understand it from my readings, but everyone has a different way of explaining it. can this be done and still keep warranty? is it something we can do at an install day? sorry for all the questions. i've put 5,400 miles on my car, and i've gotten acclimated to the power/speed, but find myself wanting more. the turbo lag is a bit more prevalent to me now.
    my silver rocket needs more...

13. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

I'll get the wagon roof rail removal and speaker install/wiring install when I get around to each.

14. Meredith

Meredith Banned

I can do rear seat removal, how to paint your wheels and how to install a quick fit harness. Do you know absolutely no instructions came with my harness? It took me an hour to figure out the where i had to bolt the front lap connect. Also HMS motorsport (the site where i bought it and is the exclusive dealer for schroth harnesses) still does not have any instructions up either? It's strange.

15. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

I would like to see:
    Spoiler Removal (I can do wrx)
    Electronic Boost Controller Installation
    Electric Turbo Timer Installation
    Electronic Airflow Controlle

16. CROSSeyed

CROSSeyed Member

DRL delete? (As a free mod)

17. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

18. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

How about a DIY on clutch replacement?

-drums

19. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

that one is easy

step 1: drive ur car to either SOG or TopSpeed
    step 2: give them money

:D

20. Well with the right tools and a helping hand clutch replacement takes about 4 hours. The only reason i know this is cause ive drop and installed a transmission 2 times now in my WRX which its a pain in the ass but not to bad. I guess i can take pics when i put my transmission back in and try to do a write on with pics.

21. sol drums

sol drums Active Member

Thanks, any info on this will help out greatly! Ped & WeaponWRX have offered to help me with this install. Right now I'm trying to decide with clutch to get. Good to know that this will take around 4 hrs.

-drums

22. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

that would be awesome

23. cheatwood792

cheatwood792 New Member

Also some cheap mods are on e-bay or e-store. But word to the wise don't tint your windows yourself, spend the extra money a go so where and tint them.

24. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I've used DIY links off of IWSTI for the following:
    -downpipe
    -hella horns
    -lowering springs
    -intercooler r and i
    I can link them if needed...........

25. Rex_Gon

Rex_Gon Member

ej20 intake removal!!!!

26. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Spark Plugs?

27. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Theres a DIY on Spark Plugs somewhere on here I did a long time ago

28. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Here's your write up on spark plug changing:
    Clicky Here

29. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Thanks I tagged it as well while I was in there.

30. Rex_Gon

Rex_Gon Member

roof rail delete?

Do you know whereto get them? or an aftermarket kit for my 03' bugeye wagon?

Thanks
    Jeff

31. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Oil catch can install

32. jwhitey

jwhitey New Member

33. Still looking for a DIY gauge-cluster and interior lights mod...

Hate this green color and some of my bulbs are simply out.

34. Jake

Jake Active Member

tons of guys on here have done this. i know wagunz_pwn is a pro at it. just PM him, i'm sure he'd be glad to help you out for a case of fat tire

35. yumm, fat tire.

36. brownhelmet1

brownhelmet1 Member

LED rear turn signal mod for 08+

37. brownhelmet1

brownhelmet1 Member

i can try to put together install aftermarket stereo thread im sure there is one on just saying

38. slug

slug Member

Timing belt replacement?

39. Texsun

Texsun Member

nevermind

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  40. l_B

l_B New Member

Whats the best spark plugs ? Platinum tip? And how to pull them out the quickest? I'm new to the Subaru wrx do it yourself.

41. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

For a wrx I really like just plain old copper plugs. Depending on the mods, go one step colder if you are making a good bit more hp. If not Just a good copper NGK plug.

42. G-WRX

G-WRX Member

haha have fun replacing the spark plugs. You need to remove the air box or intake for the passenger side and the washer fluid reservoir for the driver's side. Make sure your engine isn't hot while doing this, and having someone with small hands might be useful.

43. Brock Samson

Brock Samson Member

What about a 'pulling your motor' DIY with some detailed pics?

*Edit: Wow noone's posted in here for awhile...I wonder if I'm just talking to myself in the corner...

44. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

My threads have a ton of this in them, but they aren't in any order and interest seemed minimal as a huge understatement so motivation required for the effort required was/is simply absent.

Feel free to take any of my pictures or text though.