Any recommendations on charging stations for multiple devices

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CelticPride, May 29, 2012.

1. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I'm getting sick of the plethora of cables and wires we deal with to charge our many handheld devices. We have my cell, the wife's cell, mp3 players, Nook, my hearing aids, etc. EVERYTHING uses a micro USB and if it doesn't I have a shorty adapter that goes micro to whatever plug is used (hearing aids for example).

So I'm looking for a charging station of some sorts that will clean all that mess of wiring up. Any recommendations? If I can at least just get something dedicated just for the phones I'll be happy.

2. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

I actually got frustrated with this last week. I was at a new client site and ended up with another laptop. That made it two laptops with their own specific chargers, my phone with its own charger, my tablet with its own charger, and my ipod with its own charger. No cross-compatibility at all.

Annoying when you are lugging all of that all over the place (in Philly right now)

3. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Ugh. I'm thinking of just building a box that hides everything. That doesn't help you Brett but it's a solution. A few on Amazon for cheap so I may just snag one.

4. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

you talking about something like this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductive_charging

I've seen a few of these in operation, they seem pretty nice. I have no ideas as to the efficiencies and compatibilities, though I would think anything that used a battery should be applicable.

5. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

That is cool and there is something out there call the Powermat which is similar but also read about overcharging and destroying batteries with these types of devices.

Hence why I asked as I know there's a few tech savvy guys on here. May just end up with an organizer like this though...http://www.amazon.com/Digipower-Executive-Edition-Charging-Valet/dp/B002FB64ZM/ref=pd_sbs_op_1

It'll hide all the wires and crap and provide a spot for most everything I plug in.

6. b reel

b reel Active Member

I'm surprised it hasn't become law to standardize the plugs. Granted that seems to be half of Apple's innovations so I guess they would lobby against that.

7. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

micro usb. All my intelligent friends have the same charger for their phones. Very easy to borrow a charge when you're not home/without a charger. Mine has micro hdmi too. Pretty cool, pretty standardized.

At work we have many different plugs to plug iphones/ipads into different connections that we can't use with out android tablets/phones. Then the assholes put only an optical audio out on the Apple TV's, so all our projectors are shit out of luck. Way to go innovative thinking. Sorry, haven't complained about Apple in a while :)

I've been curious about the inductive charging, looking to hear a review.

8. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

In Europe it has. Only place in the world you can buy Apple products with micro-usb.

Capitalism at its finest. (and thanks Steve Jobs...)

9. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

That is pretty much what I have on my nightstand. I only have to charge 3 devices but if needed something with more, you might want to think about something else because it has limited room inside for plugs. Or you could try sticking this inside of the box to power everything.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Iphone-...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1338344607&sr=1-43

10. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Integroid you have the box I posted or the powermat?

11. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Sorry, the box you posted. I think we got it at Target. It isn't identical to what you posted but pretty close.