Bug Out Kit

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Texsun, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Texsun

Texsun Member

Lets have a discussion about our bug out kit "bags" for when the shit hits the fan! Lets discuss weapons, vehicles, bags, food, shelter, batteries and other things necessary if shit went down!

I have an un godly amount of supplies and multiple setups for different situations. If there is enough interest in this topic I will share mine.

If you have nothing... Gerber has decided to help you out! http://www.gerbergear.com/Apocalypse/Gear/Apocalypse-Kit_30-000601

BUG OUT BAG- A bag that you have prepared to be able survive at least 72 hours.

"For too long the human race has ignored the signs
    Your planet is nearing destruction
    Salvation is reserved for those who pass the tests
    If you survive, an elevated existence awaits"

-unknown

While I am at work, I gave myself 2 min to come up with a Bug Out Kit... This is what I scrounged up... Lets see what you guys can come up with only 2 min.

1x NVG Carry Bag
    1x Tiny Metal Saw
    1x 125 ft of 550 cord
    3x Chem Lights
    1x Plastic Eating Tool Set... DONT JUDGE ME!
    1x Bottle Water
    1x Yaesu FT-11R HAM
    4x AA Batteries
    1x Random Plastic Tubing
    1x Marking Pencil
    5x Paper Clips
    4x Key Chain Rings
    4x Parachute Rubber Bands
    10x Zip Ties

[​IMG]

The Kit was pretty compact and would be easily thrown into my glove box.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  2. FACE

FACE Active Member

I have two "bug out bags" ready to rock. That's a nice gerber kit, though it may be a little pricey for some. I like budk.com for most of this shopping.

I believe EVERYONE should have a "bug out bag" ready to go. I continue to add to them...ammo just seems to get a little heavy :)

3. Smokin_Joe

Smokin_Joe Member

4. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

So what should a good "bug out bag" include?

5. b reel

b reel Active Member

6. Texsun

Texsun Member

I posted the Gerber kit more as a Joke. However it would be fun to have and disperse those weapons to multiple kits. I have a get home bag in my trunk at all time along with a full aid bag, since I am EMT I am actually able to use the tools in that kit. I actually used 2 weekend ago to stabilize a guy that decided it was a good idea to try and ride a motorcycle on 400 and he had no clue how to ride.

I will list what EVERY single one of my kits has or just the basics I start out with. I than tailor each kit to different scenarios.

Photos of these kits will come if requested.

1x 3 Day Assault Bag
    2x Nalgene Bottles filled with water
    5x Main meals from MRE taped really tight together with spoon in middle.
    10x Chem Light 12 hour type with 10 feet of 550 cord on each of them.
    3x Knifes Gerber Fix Blade, Kershaw Assisted opening pocket knife, and a hatchet/tomahawk!
    1x 200 feet of 550 cord
    1x IFAK "individual first aid kit"
    5x Long White Socks
    3x Lighters
    1x Poncho with liner "military special"
    1x vf 17 pannel full size

These are some of the styles I use...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  7. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

My 72 hour plan is to hide in a closet until the people running around shooting everyone and everything in sight are dead from shooting each other.

edit: although that gerber kit does look really f*ing awesome for some reason..

8. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

LOL bixs that was funny.

My plan....get my family together and stay outta everyone's way. Don't kill unless my life is deathly in danger. Use the 3 days to get to Texsun's place.

Too many rednecks that will shoot like they deer hunting around here so bixs suggestion works well.

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

if he survives the looting, mob mentality is to burn down what they can't take.

10. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Lol

I find it funny how many rely on guns and stuff. Not that they don't work but I'll be carrying my crossbow and compound bow as well.

11. Texsun

Texsun Member

Bixs I seriously ROFLd at that statement because of the truth!

I do not have Guns as a primary choice of weapon, anybody can pull a trigger but what will they do when they have no ammo? I am pretty much with Celtic on this one, I do not have a cross bow but I have a wicked Bowtech :) I practice unconventional means of survival so my thought process is not the average KILL KILL KILL ---> rape ---> pillage ---> plunder that most people have.

Survival is not about who is the most badass, its about who can adapt to any situation at hand and thrive!

I am currently in the process of setting up a kit for an EMP threat.

12. onemoresti

onemoresti Member

So, if the shit goes down....Do you think its better to be on your own, or to have a small group that all have the same plan? In the case of an EMP, pretty much all communication would be lost right? Would you just stay home or would you have a plan to relocate.

13. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

seriously.

if your house isn't on well-water, your 'bug out kit' should have enough water for every day you think you can survive without food, or the means to clean/treat water you find.

your own body crapping out on you is just as much if not more of a real threat.

14. Texsun

Texsun Member

My house is on well-water, I also have a 2nd well we just had drilled a few months back.

Each of my nalgene bottles hold 64oz of water, which in all reality under an intense situation would not be enough for 3 days. However all my routes have adequate water sources and are safe to drink. You are totally correct on your own body crapping out on you, but myself, along with quite a few others on here are in rather good shape.

I think companionship will always prevail, nobody has ever accomplished anything alone! My house is in rather secure and hidden location, so I would stay here. I would only relocate if my position was jeopardized, or if I am doing small supply runs. All my routes are 100% un detected and I would have a "bug out bag" on me at all times!

If we had an EMP situation I would think all communications, and anything pretty much running on an outlet would no longer work. That is just how I picture things...

If shit hits the fan, and you want to come to my house and already know where I live... Honk your horn 4 times at the mailboxes!

15. Mad Mallard

its a professional liability for you if you're not.

me, i have an hour commute each way, and work 10 hours in front of a computer. -_-

16. Texsun

Texsun Member

Man I would hate that commute! As the bird flys my work is 8 miles away... but the drive is 26.4 miles haha damn mountains!

For your commute do you have a basic bug out bag in your car?

17. Mad Mallard

nobody here would consider it a bug out bag because it doesn't have anything overtly described as a weapon in it. (unless you count the hard resin squeejee handle I use for unassuming close quarters ;p)

But I do have a "roadside" duffle with a cheap metric socket set, long 20' 4-guage jumpers, winter gloves, quick clothes change, a litre of Smartwater, pack of peanuts, writing materials, a flashlight, a tire iron, a Porter Cable battery impact wrench with a socket for the wheels, a PC work light (same battery), basic firstaid kit, pancho, matchbook AND lighter, garbage bags, glow sticks, quart of oil, ps fluid, tranny fluid.

currently missing a drivebelt, flares, an mre, reflectors, hammer of some kind (sledge or ballpeen), cheep umbrella to add in the future.

18. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Yeah that way you can get a nice clean shot....

19. Texsun

Texsun Member

HAHA! Touche good sir!

20. Texsun

Texsun Member

I am some what thinking about making a youtube series on something along these lines... anybody interested?

21. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

I live down the road from Texsun...I'll be staying put. It seems there are Rangers all around me here.

22. Texsun

Texsun Member

We are in a pretty stable location in general with more then enough to survive!

23. slowwrx

We have a cabin up in the sticks. I would say you can find me there....but you probably can't

24. Texsun

Texsun Member

While I am at work, I gave myself 2 min to come up with a Bug Out Kit... This is what I scrounged up... Lets see what you guys can come up with only 2 min.

1x NVG Carry Bag
    1x Tiny Metal Saw
    1x 125 ft of 550 cord
    3x Chem Lights
    1x Plastic Eating Tool Set... DONT JUDGE ME!
    1x Bottle Water
    1x Yaesu FT-11R HAM
    4x AA Batteries
    1x Random Plastic Tubing
    1x Marking Pencil
    5x Paper Clips
    4x Key Chain Rings
    4x Parachute Rubber Bands
    10x Zip Ties

[​IMG]

The Kit was pretty compact and would be easily thrown into my glove box.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  25. Mad Mallard

a medic, if i ever saw one

26. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

false

27. Texsun

Texsun Member

Indeed... I started my career off as a Medic :)

28. slowwrx

Ill kill you before you get down the driveway

29. Texsun

Texsun Member

I came across these just a few minutes ago... I am digging through all the junk I have stached away at work... This would probably be very useful in a kit geared towards water.

[​IMG]

30. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

creek, sir.

31. slowwrx

You will never make it through the Razor wire I put in the water

32. Texsun

Texsun Member

shit just got real!

33. Texsun

Texsun Member