Cross Country Move

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Stephend, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Stephend

Stephend New Member

Has anyone had experience using one of the the car transport trailers (all 4 wheels off the ground) from uhaul/budget/penski?

I just want to make sure there are no issues getting my 08' STi actually onto the trailer.

Anybody with bad experiences driving a 10'+ uhaul with car transport?

I am moving to Seattle.

2. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

I just used one to bring a car back from Pennsylvania. Plenty of clearance getting a 98 RS on there and I would imaging the STI should be good to go. The trailer came with straps that held the front tires. Those were solid but I put a few straps on the back, just incase.

I think the toungue was too heavy for my mothers merc gl450 as the rear tires had some weird wear on them. Turned out the rear struts were shot so that might have contributed.

3. Texsun

Texsun Member

I have moved cross country 2x now, both time I have used Uhaul Transport trailer, however I have not moved with my STI. I did however move with the Wifes old colbalt that sits way lower than my STI and we did not have any issues at all!

4. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Unfortunately I put my WRX on a Semi truck when I moved to Seattle so I can't speak to the Uhaul Trailer. Though I don't think you should have a problem unless it is lowered. In any case take your time and make sure everything is buttoned down when you cross the Rockies... they are no joke especially with a car on a trailer.

If you need any questions about SEA, need help getting settled or just want to grab a beer when you get here lemme know! I live in the Wallingford neighborhood right by University of Washington.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  5. Stephend

Stephend New Member

For sure. I move up there in July. We should definitely grab a beer. I'll be living in Queen Anne.

Has anyone had experience with the Subaru Front License Plate Mount (part #SOA342L120)? Obviously I am going to have to get a front license plate and have heard that even with this mount you still have to drill holes in the bumber??

6. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Used that type of trailer when I moved from Knoxville with my civic hatch. I used one of the largest Uhaul trucks available and had 0 issues getting the car on it or driving with the trailer. I even packed additional stuff in the car on the trailer. Good luck and enjoy the cars they have up there.

7. b reel

b reel Active Member

DO NOT STRAP/TIE-DOWN TO ANY SUSPENSION PARTS

Not sure on the GR chassis but the GD's have tie-down points on the front subframe and rear passenger side by the charcoal canister. If you have that option use it, otherwise the wheel straps and/or straps through each rear wheel will have to do.

Be safe, expect what 6 to 8mpg towing all your crap so $1200.00 in gas?

8. Stephend

Stephend New Member

Don't the tie down straps just fit around the front tires?

9. Texsun

Texsun Member

I am pretty sure that is for the car dally only, when you have all 4 tires off the ground you will have tie downs for the front/rear of the car.

10. whitepony22

whitepony22 Member

When I moved to Arizona with my band we moved my STi on a Uhaul trailer behind a giant ass moving truck. Went great but here are a few things to remember from my experience:

1. Maybe disconnect the battery.... We got a few miles down the road, my STi alarm was going off, pulled over, had no tools really easily accessible, a cop stopped as it was night time, big fiasco as I couldn't get to my registration in the glovebox with all the shit in my car.... So anyways, it's never done that on a tow truck, but for some reason, maybe the bouncing on the car trailer set it off.

2. Don't drive too fast over bumps/bridges. That shit was nerve wracking at times as I was driving another car behind the trailer and I swear my car was done for a few times.

3. Be careful where you stop at night. I know we left a hotel the one night because people were outside looking at my car and it seemed suspect even though it was a Holiday Inn? or something.

4. Be sure your car is well strapped down like other people said, and not on the suspension.

5. Just take your time and enjoy the drive but don't lose focus on the drive either. It's fun crossing the country.

Good luck with your move.

11. b reel

b reel Active Member

I bought a UHaul trailer from an auction and it had the notches in the rear for said tire straps. One of those deals where I sold it for twice what I paid and have suffered seller remorse ever since.