Buying a Gas Saver...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Texsun, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Texsun

Texsun Member

Just sold a couple ARs... I want to buy a gas saver Daily Driver. Any suggestions? I dont want to spend more than $3500

2. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

motorcycle

3. Texsun

Texsun Member

Needs to have a backseat for the little one, or I would be all over one!

4. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

you won't find one for that price, unless you're looking for a mid-90's civic. sell a few more ARs till you have about twice that, you'll have 100x more options to choose from

5. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Mid 90s civic is awesome, if the kids spill stuff you don't have to worry about it and even the autos get 35mpg.

6. Jake

Jake Active Member

paid $2000 for my 94 bmw. gets 30/33mpg, has 264k miles and still runs like a top. leather JUST tore in the driver's seat, parts are hard to find, but cheap for the 4cyl models. only downside, its slow as dog shit

point is, deals are out there

7. Texsun

Texsun Member

I am looking for mid-late 90s vehicles so I figure 3500 is a good budget for a work and back POS!

8. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Buy a mid 90's Civic, Integra, Accord. Part galore and those cars are very affordable to maintain. I had a 93 Civic I use to race, blew the motor in it and had a new one in (had a spare built motor) right at 2 hours.

9. sikwrx04

sikwrx04 Member

Looking for a 2 door or 4 door? My brother has a 94 Integra ls with a new swap that he is selling 2 door coupe

10. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

motorcycles have back seats. and side cars. do that.

11. Coldcat83

Coldcat83 Member

1997 VW Jetta TDI with 217,000 miles timing and water pump changed at 200,000 a little rust damage in the trunk. Car runs great my buddy drives it to and from ATL-WR a few weekends a month roughly 40-50 MPG. It has a salvaged title it the car drives great. Also one of the rims has a slow leak. He says from here to ATL and then back on a 1/4 tank including traffic.

$3500. I can get you picks if you are interested.

12. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

By the time you buy the car, pay the taxes, and pay insurance you really won't be saving much at all.

13. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

*buzzkill*

14. Texsun

Texsun Member

Side Cart with my son in that would be LEGIT!

15. Jake

Jake Active Member

i had a 95 accord, blew the motor in it, new motor cost $600 and took half a day to install. got 30mpg.

do that

16. slowwrx

Thats not really true.

Taxes on a 1996 Honda Civic are virtually nothing, Insurance will likely go down if your primary car is a Subaru.

My insurance went down almost $200 dollars a year by adding a beater as a daily and making the Subaru a limited mile weekend car.

The car saved enough gas that it easily paid for itself the first year.

17. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I didn't consider switching the primary driver.....good point.

18. slowwrx

Yeah a lot of times if both you and the wife have nice daily drivers its worth buying a couple of beaters just to put on insurance. One of my buddies has a new E63 amg and a civic. Dropped his insurance something crazy like $500-600 dollars a year. Of course his rates are crazy high and he drives like a idiot so I'm sure most won't see the same effect.

19. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Thanks to a suggestion from Matt, I'm now saving $28 a month on my car insurance.

20. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

[​IMG]

21. Smokin_Joe

Smokin_Joe Member

Ford Focus 4dr.

Automatic, bullet proof, slow a piss but 35 mpg easy.

had one for 2 years. mine even had leather, tinted windows, remote entry and power windows. They can be had for 2500-3500. I sold mine for $3500

Joe

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  22. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

both you and the what?

23. WRXbryanATL

WRXbryanATL Member

what the hell is a wife

24. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

I have a friend/neighbor that has a 2000 Honda Accord Ex with 180K on it. They are looking to sell it soon. It runs good and is very well taken care of. I'd bet they'd sell it for what you're looking to spend. I can get you some pics if you're interested, or you could come by and check it out- I'm not that far from you.

25. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

4 cyl or v6? The v6 doesn't get that great mpg...least mine didn't.

26. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

It's the 4 banger and it is black.