Rooting a Motorola Atrix

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 07Ltd#767, Jul 23, 2012.

1. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

Is it worth it?

My old phone has been a trooper, but it's time to put him down for good. I've just setup the Atrix, but I'm running on the stock ROMs. I originally rooted the HTC Inspire because I would rather use a flip phone that deal with HTC Sense, and the battery life was a solid 4 hours when in standby mode only.

I don't use my phone for anything other than texting / calling and the occasional binging to prove wrxin8or wrong. I don't really use apps that much (at least not ones that aren't free from the app store) and I don't use my cell phone for any other work purposes. Given these details it worth it to root it? If i'm going to do it, i'd rather do it now before i start setting everything up.

2. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

CherryRom is good. CM7 and 9 are good. But they make the phone heat up like crazy. I'd leave it alone for what you do.

3. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

For the record I hate my Atrix now. It reboots randomly and hangs up a bit which is why I'd leave it stock. When my contract is up I'm going back to Apple.

4. 07Ltd#767

my current (well now old) phone was doing the same things...half the keyboard buttons would stop working, this morning the alarm decides it doesn't want to go off, sometimes the volume button bites the shit...oh, and the radio in it is a complete piece of garbage.

mostly, though, i'm pretty hard on phones, so I know this detriment has a lot to do with me...but i'm not THAT hard on them, I'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt and just have them work right

5. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

My Atrix was very unstable after I rooted it. It would be fine for a couple of days and then randomly has problems. Have you already upgraded to ICS?

6. 07Ltd#767

:dunno

It's currently updating to gingerbread and updating to 4.5.141

I'll have to look into ICS - not sure what that is

7. 07Ltd#767

Ice Cream Sandwich

I guess I'll find out as soon as GB is doen

Edit - is it out yet?

Edit 2 - doesn't look like it is. Phone is up to date using latest release of GB

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  8. Kakies

Kakies New Member

Drew, I literally ran over my atrix in the otterbox the other day. Still works. If mine is still going, yours should last forever :]

Also, the battery still sucks even after rooting it.

9. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I took my Atrix off the charger at 7AM this morning. As of 12:28PM I have 18% battery left. See why I hate mine.

ICS is flaky. Camera didn't work when I used it and I MUST have a camera on account of snapping quick pics of my son during his funny moments.

10. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Have a feeling that 90% of people's phone problems are only related to app's they've installed, faulty hardware, or something related to the phone manufacturer. I doubt it's ICS. An example is my phone dying after 4 hours. Ended up being an app/network issue. A lot of manufacturers are using ICS, I'm pretty sure if they all were flaky we'd know about it.

11. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Zero apps on the phone for a week and still did the same thing. Hardware? Explain 4 other 100% stock Atrix's in my building doing the same thing. I think the battery isn't up to the task of the dual processor and it drains it. Motorola's fault.

I also never said it was ICS' fault. I'm just blaming the Atrix in general. It rocked the first 6 months....after that it sucked. However everyone with the Atrix2 has had zero issues.

12. slowwrx

The new Dual Core phones eat batteries. My Note is great but the battery is huge and it won't last all day.

13. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

even with zero user installed apps on the phone, you have to realize when companies start monkeying with the OS (sense, touch, etc) there is a LOT of back end changes being made. this is usually what causes these battery drain issues and it isn't always obvious to user. apps like task killer and the like won't do anything to prevent this (and actually harm battery life). the bad thing is that everyone is pretty quick to blame this on the android OS in general; this isn't an entirely fair situation because google has no control over this. as a company they need to do better to prevent fragmentation of the software.

that being said, my phone running stock jelly bean gets pretty great battery life. it runs the stock software with tons of features. the phone manufacturers and carriers are very slow to put new versions on their hardware. they simply just do not support the newer software revisions.

tl;dr: you're all pretty much wrong when it comes to your battery life, but it isn't your fault. google has let it happen via complacency and the guise of 'user choice'

14. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I'm running the Neutrino ROM. It's virtually stripped of everything. Bare bones minimum that has to run. It's something on these phones hardware related.

The Android OS is flat out lacking.....they have a lot to catch up to. It's not the most user friendly thing out there. There's a reason we are selling 4 iPhones to every Andriod and we are giving Androids away for $0.50 and it isn't making a dent.

But the core issue is the manufacturers so I agree with your Andriod statement. They are trying to cram in more power and more space when it isn't needed. Hell they are no where close to maxing the hardware out on phones 2 years old....the network itself gets maxed out.

15. 07Ltd#767

hipster douches?

16. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

LOL perhaps but there is not an andriod phone out there that is more user friendly and stable than the newest iPhone.

17. 07Ltd#767

can't speak on stability, but I can speak for the interface. I came from BB so i had never had an actual 'smart' phone before. I've played around on iPhones for years, but I feel the Android OS is MUCH more user friendly *GIVEN* the end user knows what the fuck they're doing.

that's a huge leap of faith for today's average market, though.

18. slowwrx

I'm not saying this always holds true but it seems like the Android users are usually more technologically savvy than the Iphone users. It seems that IPhone users seem to be the first to jump on what ever bandwagon is on its way through town.

I personally just don't like the Iphone interface.

19. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

have you tried jellybean?

also, re: your comments on hardware. it's still a software issue. something is running that shouldn't be. if you could grab a bug report (not sure if ROMs support this, but my internal dev roms do), I could tell you exactly what it is

the nature of carrier contracts is what causes a lot of this bitching about outdated phones. two very different ecosystems: apple's closed hardware and software ecosystem, with google's very open wild west ecosystem. I prefer the latter for a multitude of reasons. eventually, the open source model wins

20. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Atrix development is severely behind everyone else. For some reason the Atrix hardware is hard to code. I'm not sure if there is even a jellybean rom out there for the Atrix.

21. 07Ltd#767

looked earlier, i don't even think ICS is out yet. Said 3rd quarter 2012, but didn't find any other solid hits.

CM will release the closest interface available pretty soon, I would think, if they haven't already. Even in updating the phone from it's out of the box software (this is the same phone i was going to sell a year ago), it changed the interface A TON

22. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

23. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I root the crap out of every phone I get... love the ability to flash new ROMS and make your 2 year old phone look/act completely different. If you don't want to mess with your phone... buy and iPhone and be done with it...

24. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

25. Smokin_Joe

Smokin_Joe Member

I heard the new Nexus is awesome (not the Nexus 7 tablet).

has NFC and other cool features.

Joe

26. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

My HTC EVO 4G LTE battery lasts two day without needing to be charged. It is running ICS but the 4G service is spotty at best with Sprint right now. Thew NFC feature and google wallet is nice. I dont plan on rooting it anytime in the near future. Had a lot of problems with roms on my OG Evo after I rooted it and dont want to mess up this phone. PS - If you are looking for phone with a kick ass camera, look no further!

27. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

PS -My wife has the Galaxy Nexus and she loves that phone but we both agree the HTC is a better phone.