Preferred Weapon - Home Defense

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by integroid, Jul 31, 2012.

1. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I have been recently building up my personal arsenal at home to protect my family. I first purchased a full sized 9MM pistol back in college. This was my only line of defense for the longest time. It was a no brainer back then, if a home invasion happened, grab the 9mm. Next I purchased a Glock 22 .40 cal followed by a 12 Gauge Remington Shotgun pimped out with higher capacity, rail setup, etc. Now I just had Drew build up an AR-15 for me....I am a little lost at what I would grab if a home invasion occurred at my house. I would like to hear everyone's input on what their weapon of choice is to protect their home in the event of a robbery or home invasion.

2. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

In the house...shotgun as long as I know all my family members are safe in a good location. Shotgun bullets are not as likely to penetrate walls yet they are very effective in stopping your target.

3. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Shotgun, just the pump of the shotgun will make the invaders think twice.

4. JL889

JL889 Pandastic!

Baseball bat with nail in it count? J/k! I have the .40 Sig P229 as my home defense weapon. AR15 could be hard since its a long gun, and not as discreet as handgun. I have alot of honey i heard something downstairs so its easier to sweep house with pistol than rifle for me.

5. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Shotgun would be my first choice. I've considered some of the extreme shock ammo for my pistols but I would want to test it first.

6. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

If someone is inside my house they don't get the courtesy of a warning.

7. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Sounds like someone will be competing in 3gun?

8. integroid

Shotgun is what I was leaning towards too...Just wanted to hear everyone's input and thought behind it. After shooting the AR last night, I dont think it would be practical to protect against home invasion. It does however, scare the piss out of my neighbors when I come home after the range and pull it out of my car without the case. I live about a mile from an indoor range:)

9. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Inside house shotgun, outside or greater then 25 yards M4.

10. integroid

Yeah, I couldnt believe how accurate the M4 was at 25 meters.

11. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Shotgun... I worry about using anything else being in an appartment. I def. wouldn't use my AR (When I had one) and I would be hesistent to use my 9MM... until I get some different rounds at least. If I miss my target, I want the bullet to stop when it hits a wall... not when it hits my neighbor 3 apartments over.

12. Jake

Jake Active Member

and thats the law in texas ;) castle law, gotta love the shoot first ask questions later.

i agree, you cross that threshold you will have holes you weren't born with

oh and on topic: i have a .40cal now, but am currently building an AR but not for home defense. i will buy a shotgun for that and a .45 replacing the .40 will be my carry

13. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

I can't wait to build an AR when I get back to the states. During combat training I was able to hit a popup torso target at 100meters multiple times in a row while standing and shooting with my weak side. I fell in love with m4's that day.

14. Smokin_Joe

Smokin_Joe Member

shotgun all the way

12 Ga Pump with alternating rounds just in case you need to blow through a wall. see if you can add on a high capacity tube (7-8 rounds) with an 18.25" barrel.

I have been tempted over the past year to pickup a Serbu Super Shorty for home defense. Holds 3 rounds, small, effective up to like 3-5M. perfect for home defense.

http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

Joe

15. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Did you read the fine print that the super shorty is an NFA item....

I've always wanted a suppressor, but the task seems expensive and daunting.

16. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Expensive yes, long yes, daunting no. Plan on waiting ~8 months depending on how backed up they are.

17. Smokin_Joe

Smokin_Joe Member

+1

Joe

18. integroid

How hard was it to get your local CLEO to sign off?

19. b reel

b reel Active Member

2 copies of, app to make & reg firearm form# ATF F 5320.1

1 copy of, cert of compliance (proof of citizenship) form# ATF F 5330.20

besides the fingerprint cards and $200.00 that's all there is to getting a suppressor.

but I know nothing about any of this

20. integroid

You still need your local CLEO to sign off on it.

21. b reel

b reel Active Member

that never came up, maybe part of the app process?

22. slade1274

slade1274 Member

You do it personally or through trust? Trust is only way to bypass CLEO sign off.... AFAIK

23. FACE

FACE Active Member

XD 9mm...with 32 round mag :D