Thinking of wrapping the car...looking at color options

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by rsutton1223, Sep 17, 2012.

1. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

So...just like the title says, I am thinking about wrapping my hatch. Subaru paint is terrible and I do a lot of mountain runs/track days, so leaving the paint in its current state with some protection wouldn't be a bad thing. I would just clear bra...but I don't want to clear bra over black nicks in the paint and I wouldn't mind changing the look of the car in a way that is not permanent.

It just comes down to color choice. What do you guys think?

The first thought is to stay in the silver family as I have always wanted to do a matte silver as you do not see many at all.

1. HEXIS Frozen Gray Matte [HX30GGIM]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 3M 1080 Matte Silver [M21]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 3M 1080 Matte Grey Aluminium [M230]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other thought is to just go crazy...

[​IMG]

I already have one in mind out of the choices, but I thought I would open it up to e-opinions as well.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  2. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

If you're gonna wrap it, go all out. I vote for the matte blue.

3. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

expel flat clear

4. rsutton1223

They don't have the full cut patterns for my car and that stuff costs 3x as much. I already checked into that.

5. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

frozen gray would be so nice.. you wouldnt draw too much unwanted attention, but when you get close to the car it still spins heads...

6. slade1274

slade1274 Member

food for thought... you WILL get nicks in the vinyl as it deals with real life. Your stock color will show through the nicks. Mine were fine as base color was black under the matte black.

Orcal also makes good product in the matte finishes.

7. rsutton1223

That is why the first one was at the top of my list. That...and the blue or other colors would probably attract more attention than I would like.

8. rsutton1223

This is the color...now I just have to find it...the guy on the BMW forum said his wrapped guy "surprised him" and it is some French vinyl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

I always have loved matte black 08+ hatches, but I suppose it is a little played out.

I would go for the first of your options. That or black would be what I would do if I were to ever own an 08+. If you do go with the first one, make the roof black for major props.

Would you be doing the work?

10. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

what kind of pricing are you looking at, the estimates i was finding was in the $2000 range and if thats the case i'll just paint it

11. rsutton1223

I am planning on it. Luckily, I have a friend that has done a hatch before that might be planning a trip up.

To have it done. Yes. To do it myself...it would be 450-600 in materials.

12. Willsanches

Willsanches Member

I've looked into doin this myself too. I'm excited to see how it turns out, good luck!

13. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah, love that matte grey color. should look good. you tend to do things right, so can't be horrible

14. WRXbryanATL

WRXbryanATL Member

Plasti dip is easy =P

15. rsutton1223

Of course you would say that...ricer.

16. Matt

ftfy.

17. WRXbryanATL

WRXbryanATL Member

Matt comes to Barrett!!! HA!!!

18. etank82

etank82 Member

I'm sure there are plenty of variables, but on average, how does the cost of doing this balance against a quality re-paint? And can it be easily removed without harming the painted finish underneath?

19. rsutton1223

It is 100% reversible by just pealing it off. It doesn't damage clear coat at all. I would love to just rock out a killer matte paint job on it...but then I would still have to protect it and it would narrow the potential buyer base when I went to sell in the future.

20. slade1274

slade1274 Member

I wouldn't assume that.... they gave me MORE for it on trade with the wrap. Also, I think there is already a line formed if you decide to sell in the future.

21. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I wouldnt say it is 100% reversible. I have seen the wrap pull up the base paint and clear when trying to take it off.

22. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

All of them makes you a ricer......

23. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Even when using a heat gun to soften the glue first? You aren't supposed to just pull the vinyl off without heating it up.

24. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Yup, that included using a heat gun.

One way or the other, I personally think it damages the factory paint. If it doesnt pull off your paint, it leaves residue that has to be removed by chemicals that are harmful to your clear coat. I mean if you are pulling it off and selling the car, who cares, right?

25. Matt

Do I have to search for your gold wrx? :p

26. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Never said I didn't do it....lol

Save you the trouble.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

^^^ damn ricer.

28. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

thats a pretty furious subie :p

29. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Fo sho......just remember Cohen that ricer figured out your temp sensor when you couldn't ;)

LOL

30. Electioneer

Electioneer Member