New ride: 2012 GT

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by WRboXer, Oct 8, 2012.

1. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

I recently picked up a 2012 5.0 6mt used but new to me. Its a base with the track package.

My Leggy and GT together.
    [​IMG]

So far it is very fun and overall a pretty impressive car. Took it to the track last weeked to see what it would run stock and ran a 12.76@112.33mph. Pretty happy with that trap speed.

Has a couple of mods i felt were necessary. GT500 axleback's, really gave the car a nice sound with out being obnoxious. The other is a Boss steering wheel. Good GOD the base wheel is such a pile. The Boss is much nicer, got it cheap and flashed the codes already so that i have all steering wheel buttons working.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall the mustang has proven cheap and easy to work on, has been a good value, and an all round fun car thus far. We'll see if that is still the case as i dive into more things. Im impressed with the power out of the stock motor, but the suspension and handleing certainly needs some warming over to get more to my taste(not many stock cars dont need this though for me).

2. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Very nice car man. I love those.

Now just don't turn into a douche like Ken did ;) :rofl:

3. Al.SpecB

Al.SpecB Member

Very nice car man. Being a Ford fan, I agree that the mustang is a great car. That new 5.0 has got a lot of potential. Does yours having the track package have the Brembo brakes??

4. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Yeah the Brembo/19" wheel package is part of the track package.

The track pack also consists of the Boss helical diff, oil cooler, radiator, and slightly stiffer springs.

5. Al.SpecB

Al.SpecB Member

Very Nice,not many people that get the new Mustangs know about the brembo brakes n track package. From what Salesmen have told me those are actually about a rare as Boss Mustangs. Im a tech at Gwinnett Place Ford so If you need anything let me know I might be able to help with parts or something.

6. longfury

longfury Active Member

What are you going to do with the car? Is it just for some straight line fun?

I drove the 2013 Mustang GT with the Track Pack and didn't like it. As a long time Mustang fan, I was seriously disappointed.

7. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Just for general fun/street car/occasional auto-x, open track day, drag strip. General bolt on's, a nice spring-shock-sway bar combo, and a lighter set of wheels and tires. Id like for it to be trapping ~116 on 93oct with simple bolt-ons.

Not sure how you couldnt like it though to be honest. Great sounding V-8 that begs to be reved, playful rear end and easy to slide, a bit numb and mute compared to STI/EVO's but what isnt? Can somewhat easily and reliably slam gears and chirp shift along the way. What else can do that for mid 20's used with a warranty and is barely a year old?

So curious, what did the 4.6 era cars do so much better then the 5.0? I cant think of one thing.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  8. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I've driven two of them on track now and I love them. I think once the next generation comes out and prices drop some more I may pick one up.

Once they fall below 15K I think there will be a lot more people tracking them. It needs very little to be a lot of fun.

9. longfury

longfury Active Member

The car felt like it weighed far more than it actually does when I drove it. The engine sounded great and I could see it build speed but it just felt meh. The power seats in the car I drove could not be lowered enough for me to have a good seating position. Even the salesperson could not figure out if it could go lower. I was looking out the top of the windshield(if you remember I am 6'6"). I was able to get more comfortable in the BRZ than in the GT. The clutch on the car I drove engaged as soon as you lifted your foot. It was a super low engagement.

Some of the stuff can be fixed with suspension and other adjustments. The seating was the major issue for me. I felt like I was sitting in a booster seat.

I also never drove a 4.6 Mustang.

10. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Love it... very nice.

11. jdiwatts

jdiwatts Member

Seems like the high seating position started in 94... I have a 93LX, and I guess that was part of the reason I got it, instead of a 94-95. I rode in a 94 GT when they first came out and didn't like where my head was in relation to the top of the window. I don't remember it being quite as claustrophobic a 2004 Cobra.

I've only been in an 07-08 GT500 and a rental V6 of the same years. Not big inside, but don't remember hating it like I did that 94 GT.

Now, if I can only stop screwing around with my WRX and finish putting the hairdryer on my 93 lx...

12. Smokin_Joe

Smokin_Joe Member

i agree. the interior space changed between 93-94. I also had a LX back in the day. Riding in the SN's, I didn't feel like I had enough room for my Right or Left leg b/c of the dash and door panel. The foxbody had way more interior room. I haven't been in any of the newer body style mustangs though so I can't comment.

that's just my .02

Joe

13. longfury

longfury Active Member

I still like Mustangs and I respect what they can do. Just not for me after I drove one. I may revisit the current cars later.

As long as it does what you want and you like the way it drives and feels, what does my or any other person's opinion matter anyway? I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

14. jdiwatts

jdiwatts Member

I've been dying to drive any of the latest 5.0 mustangs (stock or boosted). Making HP with the mod motor is finally what it should have been all along. Any V8 that can rev to the moon, make power and still be connected to an old fashioned stick shift is awesome. I drove a current M3 with a V8 and stick recently. It's really, really nice. Made me want to drive a current Mustang even more. :).

I forgot, the coolest near current mustang I've driven was a 2007 Saleen Extreme. Tearing ass through farm country in Wisconsin at 120mph made the work trip worthwhile. The 4.6 3V with the Saleen blower was really, really nice. Would have been nicer with another 1000rpm to play with, though ;).

Enjoy the 5.0!