key fob project (opinions wanted)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mokinbird87, Nov 5, 2012.

1. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

[​IMG]

so this is what i have so far. this new shell will incorporate the chip that i already have. i`m still sketching to see what type of button design looks best.

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I hace made these in the past. The encryption portion can be a oain if you dont know where it is or fi you ahve to get it reprogrammed.

3. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

^^^^NERDS......

Can I get two

4. mokinbird87

please elaborate haha. I was hoping someone has experience in this. i am totally helpless when it comes to wiring anything... :rofl:

5. mokinbird87

update... done for the night... i`m at the point where i`m just staring at the monitor and not getting anything done...
    [​IMG]

6. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Sorry, what year is your car? There is an immobilizer chip in all keys 05+. It is hard to find it as it is molded into the key. You either have to cut it out one your keys or have one programmed to your vehicle at a dealer. The key blank on the pic you have wont work with your subaru. I might have some key blanks left over from when I use to build them. I will have to llok around for them.

7. Smokin_Joe

Smokin_Joe Member

i'd be interested in a couple, if the price is right since I have a 2004 :)
    Joe

8. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

I did mine. The immobilizer chip is easily moved over.

The question you really need to be asking is how are you going to have that molded without an order for 50,000. If you are just working on it for a fun project...that is cool. But I have experience in injection molding (which you would need to make the plastic portions) and just the mold alone is expensive.

9. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

3d print it!

...for that 8-bit effect :p

10. mokinbird87

doing oomoo if there is more than 1 request. :) hopefully i can gather enough attention for a plastic molding, but i highly doubt it.

11. mokinbird87

yea, 3d print my original, and then taking that as a shell to oomoo.

12. crazyazn

On a serious note, I will say I really dig the design, looks clean and I would love to not have 2 parts to my key. However, the realist kicks in and I have to agree with Robb on the prohibitive cost of mold making.

13. crazyazn

Ah interesting, looking stuff, for a small run I can see that working out. I wonder about QC consistency and more overall finishing requirements to the pieces

14. mokinbird87

yea... i may put it on kickstarter to gain more interest... we`ll see. i`ll probably get in trouble for using the sti logo though :rofl: