New to me WRX Wagon

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Cruz5350, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Cruz5350

Cruz5350 Member

Hello gang thought I'd start a member's journal on what will hopefully be a long term project of mine. I picked up this imo clean 03 Wagon off of CL and despite being a very high mileage car it's been great. Initially I'll just be performing maintenance on it to get it back up to where I think it should be. With 212k on the clock and not much of an idea of what's been done to it I'll be going through it with a fine tooth comb. Here is some photos for now and I'll be updating fairly regularly when I do work on it. I hope to meet some folks through here that already have some experience working on these and can help me along the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day I got her boy was she a bit dirty especially the door jams and engine bay. It was apparent it's lived most of it's life under trees. The original owner was an older lady who put 200K on it and I bought it off of a mid 20's guy who put about 12k on it. I quickly got to cleaning it as best as I could at my apartment it's going to need a lot of work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Started working on it but it's still going to be a work in progress here is some afters of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think it looks a ton better one thing that pulled me to the car was a pretty much mint interior take a look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As far as actual work I've done so far I picked up some Rotella T6 new Subaru Oil filter and drain plug washer. Swapped out the K&N filter for a Subaru Paper filter (K&N is for sale if anyone wants it). Fuel filter and cabin air filter were both just replaced. I don't have the pic of the fuel that came out of the fuel filter yet but it was horrible.

[​IMG]

That's about all for now. I'd like to take it to Allpro and have a compression and leakdown test done to see how healthy this engine is. Once I get some miles on the oil I'll send it out to Blackstone labs for an oil analysis as well.

2. h23bb2

h23bb2 Member

Its so cute in stock form. lol Its been awhile since I've been in a stock one...
    Lokks nice since you cleaned it up a bit. Just out of curiosity, why are you selling the K&N filter?

3. Cruz5350

Cruz5350 Member

I'm not a fan of cleaning and oiling filters. Some people have found that the oil has been able to get on to their MAF's while not a large proportion it does happen. Cheap OEM filter does it's job just fine imo.

4. h23bb2

h23bb2 Member

fair enough i suppose. fwiw, i hate maf sensors and their finickiness. Part of the reason i ditched it in favor of tuning my car via speed density. Sad part is, my father liked it so much he asked me to retune his via SD as well. lol

5. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

congrats on the car! Looking forward to seeing it's progress!

6. Cruz5350

Cruz5350 Member

Thanks it will be a slow progress as I have some bill to pay and I don't make much money with my job right now. What I really need to focus on is the common wear items and see where those stands before I can start looking into the performance side of it.

7. Cruz5350

Cruz5350 Member

Been some time since I posted in here, I had to go off to school for a new airplane at work and that consumed the last couple of months. I managed to pick up some DEFI STI Genome gauges that I've had my eye on for years even before I ever had a Subaru. Not sure when I'll be getting around to installing them though. Lack of garage has been a major pain. I'll be posting pics shortly.

8. Cruz5350

Cruz5350 Member

9. Cruz5350

Cruz5350 Member

Not sure which controller I want to use. I'm sure I'll use the Genome one for that awesome JDM'ness. I've sourced a Water temp gauge as well so I'll prolly end up sticking the boost gauge where my stock lamco is and putting the water in place of the boost.

10. Cruz5350

Cruz5350 Member

11. liltoua

liltoua Member

white wagons are the sex!!!

12. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

13. Cruz5350

Cruz5350 Member

Ya but it's stock minus the STI catback so that wouldn't be enough to do it. From searching online it looks like the BCS is the culprit it's either on it's way out or dirty. So the most common fix is cleaning it out with some electrical contact cleaner while the solenoids are in test mode and moving.

14. Cruz5350

Cruz5350 Member

Thanks!!!

15. Cruz5350

Cruz5350 Member

Sprayed out the bcs with an electrical cleaners as seen on another forum and had no luck. Does anyone have a spare laying around that we can swap in? I'd like to just pinpoint this before I buy a new grimmspeed one.

16. Cruz5350

Cruz5350 Member

Better yet any one willing to swap out there's for a quick loop around the highway?

17. Cruz5350

Cruz5350 Member

And now it's over boosting up to 1.2-1.3 bar.

18. h23bb2

h23bb2 Member

i have a spare I can lend you if your interested?

19. Cruz5350

Cruz5350 Member

Just PM'd you about looking at this wana set up a day where I can drive down and we can take a look at it?

20. h23bb2

h23bb2 Member

PM'd you back comrade!

21. Cruz5350

Cruz5350 Member

Well this didn't last long....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. b reel

b reel Active Member

yep, that's dead

23. Cruz5350

Cruz5350 Member

It didn't actually die until I shot it.

24. b reel

b reel Active Member

the car, timing covers busted?

25. Cruz5350

Cruz5350 Member

No it was all body damage. The adjuster said the rad was pushed into the engine block but when I looked last it wasnt. That motor was still running fine when I turned it off.

26. jdiwatts

jdiwatts Member

Sorry to see that.

Is it going to be totalled?

27. Cruz5350

Cruz5350 Member

Yup it was totaled out apparently over $6500 in damage.

28. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Yikes.. just glad you're ok... Looks like a pretty big collision..

29. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Man that really sucks. Sorry to hear about that. But at least you're alright.