Any experience with polymer lowers?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CelticPride, Dec 12, 2012.

1. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Looking into building a few more guns and ran across some killer deals on some lowers. All of my lowers are aluminum and I have zero experience with polymer lowers. Does anyone have experience with them and what are the cons with them if any?

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I have heard the New Frontier ones are the only polymer ones to get but have not had first hand experience with them. Also, I hear to use a regular lower parts kit and not the polymer lower parts kit.

3. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Same thing I've read. Thanks.

4. integroid

Glad I could be of no help to ya! lol

5. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Confirmation and reaffirming is help :)

BTW your old gun is freaking awesome.

6. integroid

Yeah, I kind of regret selling it now. I am trying to build another rifle now. Already have the lower built up....just need an upper to slap on it.

7. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

I am doing a new frontier, i have my backorder in. Cheap, stronger poly, good trigger, better then average furniture, promising torture tests, very light.

Building it with a pencil psa upper, its going to be a lightweight value build. ~6.5lbs no optic. Hopefully around $550 built if i can shop it right.

8. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

That's very light.

9. integroid

I hope you got in on that sale yesterday because PSA is all sold out of uppers right now.

10. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Already have my tracking number. :)

Celtic how much are you finding the NFA lowers? $110? If less send me a link please.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  11. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

$115 is the cheapest I'm finding but as expected on back order.

12. integroid

There is a place in Athens that has them for $102 but he will not ship.

13. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

$119 shipped is cheapest i have found in stock in TN.

Joebobs has them for $104 shipped if use the 5% off coupon but they are backordered 4 weeks.

14. When you get it done, could we get a parts list with a price breakdown?
    I'm looking to get an AR in the next few months, but I am a total AR newb, so I have no real point of reference on what to buy...
    I would seriously appreciate an inexpensive light build list.

15. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I would highly suggest doing it the soonest you can. Parts are getting harder to find and prices are going up.

16. integroid

I think swine's is a pretty simple build.
    NFA Polymer Complete Lower
    PSA Pencil Complete Upper

There are those that think everything will be impossible to find in the next few months so they are buying everything up. There are also others that are going to wait it out until everything calms down and pricing comes back down to a reasonable level. I have two complete lowers and picking up another complete lower this weekend.....Just having a hard time finding uppers right now.

17. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Yeah I'm not saying that stuff will be impossible to find but thanks to the paranoid people out there buying stuff up it's making it hard for the regulars like us find anything reasonable. Sort of a waterfall effect.

18. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

NFA lower- i paid $119 shipped, found for $104 shipped from joebobs but out of stock for ~4weeks
    PSA pencil upper with charging hanlde- X-mas special $350 shipped
    Spikes complete BCG or Joebobs BCG- ~$120 shipped joebobs

Anywhere from $570-590 without FFL transfer for the lower. I plan on shopping BCG's for a deal, but i may just say screw it and buy the next most inexpensive one in stock.

There is cheaper stuff out there, but this is about as cheap as it gets for good quality/value spec components. This thing should run reliably, be accurate, inexpensive, and as light as you can get for the price range.

19. integroid

Sucks, all of the BCGs I have found are in the ~$200 range. Bullseye has a Daniel Defense BCG in stock for that price.

20. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Willing to bet that because of what happened in Conn, prices are gonna climb.

***EDIT*** now there is conflicting info that there was a .223 rifle involved. Some info says it was in the car and some say it was on the shooter's person. Regardless it's not gonna help the industry any.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012