The Journies of Miss Misery

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by jautry27, Nov 26, 2012.

1. jautry27

jautry27 Member

I have decided to name my car Miss Misery and I'm sure most of you know why.

Anyway, I decided to start a new thread and deleted my old one. As of yet, I have pulled the engine, disassembled the heads, and taken off all the other parts. I am hoping to have her done by tomorrow. Going to reassemble and put everything on the new block today.

As I took the oil pan off, I was able to diagnose my engine failure cause...Just have a look below...

[​IMG]

Anyway, as of right now, everything is in pieces, and the only thing stopping me is the o-ring kit for the oil cooler assembly. I am about to head to Subaru of Gwinnett to pick it up. After that, I will be headed back to the shop to piece my baby back together.

[​IMG]

2. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Did you replace the entire oil cooler? Did you THOROUGHLY have the heads cleaned and all oil passages cleaned?

DO NOT REUSE THE OIL COOLER.

3. jautry27

jautry27 Member

I'll put it this way, I was at the shop at 8 am yesterday and didn't leave until 5 am this morning making sure everything was done right. I did not replace the oil cooler, but I did make sure that ALL oil passages were thoroughly cleaned. I became one with the parts cleaner. Why would I not reuse the oil cooler?

4. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

You will NEVER get the oil cooler thoroughly cleaned. TRUST me on this.

5. jautry27

jautry27 Member

I'll have to see how much a new one is then. What I did to clean it was hook up a cheap oil filter, then ran the parts cleaner through it for about 30 minutes straight. Then ran compressed air through it without the filter for about 5 minutes. Seemed to do a pretty legit job.

6. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I think I saw BRED and breel both say before it's best to just replace it. I do know of a few instances where a new rebuild failed due to the oil cooler not being replaced when a spun bearing or oil starvation was involved.

7. jautry27

jautry27 Member

If it costs too much, then I'll have to put the car on hold, b/c I'm sure it's pricey.

8. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Not sure if it's relevant or not, but as I was running the parts cleaner through it with the filter on, it seemed to be flowing just fine...

9. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Replace it. I don't care what you see with a filter. You NEVER get all the material out.

10. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Damn...and it'll be at least another 2 weeks now

11. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Whys that?

12. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

It's better than it being months with any sort of failure that could potentially happen with a reused oil cooler.
    You may as well give it a couple of weeks and do it right rather than having it possibly fail on you.
    I'm not incredibly knowledgeable with any of that stuff, so I would have no clue what could actually happen, but it's just a thought.

13. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Money is the issue. I've already dumped so much into this tht I can't afford anything that pricey right now.

14. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Looked into aftermarket oil coolers?

15. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

I looked at a few in my search for a replacement one. I think they run about $250 for an OEM replacment and I saw a few aftermarket ones in the same arena. I was just weary of whether the aftermarket ones attached to the block or to the OEM cooler.

16. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Their all outside of my budget for right now

17. b reel

b reel Active Member

wait two weeks and do it right or pray for two weeks and have the same problem,

18. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Oh I'm waiting. Sucks, but I am.

19. jautry27

jautry27 Member

In the mean time, I'm still going to button up the rest of the engine.

20. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

21. jautry27

jautry27 Member

They give me a military discount, which is about the same.

22. jautry27

jautry27 Member

23. jautry27

jautry27 Member

That wasn't meant for here

24. b reel

b reel Active Member

hope you went with a new oil pump as well

as for cleaning, did you use nylon brushes to clean ALL the galleys? Did you remove ALL the galley plugs to do the above? If you did neither then your heads aren't clean. If you don't have proper tools like a torch to remove said galley plugs then take them to somebody who will do it right. I've seen bad things happen with a bigger hammer.

25. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Since I am putting in a brand new 257 block, I went with a new OEM 11mm oil pump. Also got a covert oil pickup. Any and all removable parts on the heads were taken out and cleaned. Trashing the old block, unless someone here wants to buy it.

26. Jake

Jake Active Member

comfortable enough with tolerances to be sure the head is within spec? when my old motor blew we took them to an engine shop and had them inspected and cleaned $60. shit can happen when shit breaks, haha. and good call with replacing all the peripherals. i think its recommended you replace all the timing belt rollers/bearings as well

27. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

What is the damage to the original block?

28. jautry27

jautry27 Member

The original block had a busted oil pickup line and starved the engine of oil. The only things I am reusing on this switch are the heads, compressor, and alternator. Most everything else is brand new.

29. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Do you know specifically what is wrong with it? How much do you want for it?

30. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Not 100% sure, but it was producing low psi.

31. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Sent you a pm

32. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Just spent another night working on her. I have one person possibly interested in buying the old block. If all goes well with that, then I should be able to buy my new oil cooler. I guess if y'all haven't noticed, I have been doing all the work myself. At least the mechanic is kind enough to let me use his shop space. I've been reading manual after manual and doing tons of research and calling a few subaru mechanics I know personally from when I lived in Ohio for tips and opinions. As of right now, I have put the bottom end together, IE: covert oil pickup, windagetray, oil return seal, and all that jazz. I used an after market gasket and skim coated it with silicone gasket. According to the manual, everything is torqued to the right spec. I also got both heads on and torqued down. I pre stretched the bolts by torquing them to 22 ft/lbs, then 51 ft/lbs, the. Backing them out a 180 degree turn in alphabetical order, and then again.

More to come!

33. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

*Journeys (thread title).

;)

34. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Eh, journeys-journies, it all means the same in my special little world:)

35. jautry27

jautry27 Member

She runs!!! The timing was off...

36. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Well, she is running now, but the clutch ain't quite right. Every time I press it about an inch or so in, it "snaps" to the floor. I have to pull it back up because it won't come back up on its own. Tried bleeding it, but to no avail. Nothing but a frothy mess coming out of the slave cylinder. I figured I'd let it sit overnight and see what happens.

37. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

That sucks...best of luck.

38. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Sounds like someone pressed the clutch while the slave cylinder was off. Or unhooked the hose.

39. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Well, I was finally able to see my taillights that I blacked out with the VH1 nightshades at night. Turned out better than I thought.

Daytime - Not Running
    [​IMG]

Nighttime - Headlights only, no brakes applied
    [​IMG]

40. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

It's the daytime viewability of the lights in peak sunlight that worries me when people do this.

41. b reel

b reel Active Member

doubt you'll find much acceptance around here for those, just buy some 04-05 tails.

42. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

if you get rear-ended, youll likely get a ticket for equipment violation

43. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

while yeah, i can see how some would like the look, i've never for the life of me figured out why people would want to diminish the signals given to other drivers, especially when you're stopping. I would personally want my brake lights brighter, so the soccer mom on her cell phone has a better chance to see me.

glad you got the car up and running, though, time to enjoy it now

44. jautry27

jautry27 Member

I want to get the jdm's. did this for now. I know I've had 2 cops behind me and nothing happened, but I'm sure my time is coming.

45. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Got my BOV today. Now I get horny every time I shift. :)

46. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Nice...enjoy making your car even more inefficient.

47. jautry27

jautry27 Member

I will.

48. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

I just make the sound with my mouth. Pachoo-Pachoo!

They make your car sound like a total ricer and were maybe cool for about 5 minutes, 10 years ago

49. jautry27

jautry27 Member

I'm about to do a blow through set up anyway

50. jautry27

jautry27 Member

BOV didn't cost me anything. Traded something for it. Worst case scenario, it is very easy to switch the old one back.