The Journies of Miss Misery

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by jautry27, Nov 26, 2012.

1. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Gawd that's even worse.

2. jautry27

jautry27 Member

I've been told by several tuners that if you want to run a BOV on a stock tune with no reprocussions, then that is the way to go.

3. b reel

b reel Active Member

is your name Justin?

4. jautry27

jautry27 Member

No, why?

5. Justinmysti

Justinmysti Member

....maybee

6. jautry27

jautry27 Member

So after some research I decided to start using Royal Purple 5w30 with a wix filter when I do start putting synthetic in the new engine.

7. 04subiwrx

04subiwrx Member

Never had good luck with royal purple. Run the rotella t6. Thats what im running now and love it

8. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Going to try this first. For some reason, that particular rotella isn't very accessible in my area.

9. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Check Wal-Mart. Royal Purple burns too fast.

10. jautry27

jautry27 Member

I did, and they were out. I'm going to be at Atlantic Station tonight, so I'll stop at another and get some. I'll switch after this oil change.

11. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Ask them to order it. They will.

12. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; ThunderBolt Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

The walls mart off Howell mill usually has it unless I clean them out of it.

13. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

Pretty much this. They almost always have some and it's like, five minutes from Atlantic station. I've been running it for about 15k now and think it's great stuff.

14. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Every update to this thread reminds me of an extra fat Kathy Bates

15. jautry27

jautry27 Member

That's the one I went to

16. Matto357

Listed as in stock as of 12 am this morning at the Howell mill locatiom

17. jautry27

jautry27 Member

No, I meant that's the one I went to after I left Atlantic Station to get it. The ones in Covington are the ones that were out.

18. Jake

Jake Active Member

so what you meant to say was, you got it

19. jautry27

jautry27 Member

You know it wouldn't be a normal post for me unless I beat around the bush first.

20. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Not trying to sound like an ass, but most people on this board have been there done that. When we say dont use Royal Purple use Rotella, that probably means the majority of us have already done it. Or you know what, do what you want and waste thousands of dollars just like another board member on here that wouldnt listen to us. When it was all said and done, he ended up doing exactly what everyone told him to do to begin with after wasting thousands of dollars.

21. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Not to sound like an ass, but how about reading the part where I said I went to Wal Mart last night after I got off and bought rotella.

22. Jake

Jake Active Member

his comment still stands. don't ask for opinions and expect respect when you consistently go against them

23. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Kathy. Bates.

24. jautry27

jautry27 Member

You must enjoy it enough to keep coming back and looking...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  25. jautry27

jautry27 Member

I never asked for respect. And I respectfully take all criticism. I admit, I've ignored a few pieces of advice in the past, but as well, I have accepted just as many. It's just way to easy for people to point out the bad and make a deal about it instead of the good. There's way too many opinions out there for one to come in and say theirs is better than everyone else's, which is why you will never see me criticize anyone's decision on what they decide to do with their car or life. If you give a piece of advice and someone ignores it and they suffer the consequences, let them learn on their own. You gave your piece of advice, they chose to ignore, be happy with the fact that you were right and they were wrong. It's not your money they are wasting.

26. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I did read the entire thread and everytime someone advises you not to do something, you dont listen. Instead of insulting people trying to help you, why dont you just ask what people think. BOV on a MAF car is a bad idea.....Blow through setup makes your car run like doo doo.....If you want the sound, put a cold air or short ram intake on and get rid of the stock airbox. You are right, about you live and learn...the only reason why I was even saying anything and trying to help you save money is because YOU are the one that came on this board saying you did not have much money nor had a great income.

27. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

It's similar to watching the movie Titanic. Even though you know what's going to happen in the end...you still watch.

28. jautry27

jautry27 Member

And I also switched back. About the money part. Said it didn't cost me anything for the BOV. Traded a blown engine for it, they paid shipping for it all. Tried it for a day or two, didn't like it, switched back. As far as the blow through set up, I have heard people's opinions on here a well as a couple of tuners. After an accumulation of opinions from both professionals and enthusiasts, I decided to go back to stock and leave well enough alone. Like I said sometimes I get a very stubborn mindset, and hear no ones advice, but other days, I'm very humble about it and listen intently, but I'm taking medicine to help with that.

Not that anyone cares, but I do have a few mindset issues stemming from the military. As I said in another post in the new member thread, I may make a few bad decisions, call people things I shouldn't and talk to them in a manner not befitting of a kind person, which I like to consider myself, although I know many times I am not. If I do anything of the above, give me due time and I will realize that what I did was wrong and make apologies to the proper people.

29. jautry27

jautry27 Member

And I assume hope for a better outcome every time as well?

30. b reel

b reel Active Member

best money spent will getting the RP out of your motor, don't do a blow-through, don't do a blow-off valve.

only good use for RP is for qualifying laps and dyno pulls

blow-through crap is unstable and a tuner's nightmare

BOV on an otherwise stock car is pointless performance/economy wise plus requires a tune

before you decide to go off on some harebrained idea, post up a question in your journal about your next plan... we'll let you know if it's good or not.

31. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Well, I spent good money on that RP, so would I be ok to use it till at least 2,000 miles of use? I hate to waste it. It's already in there. Was before I bought the Rotella.

32. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Yeah. Most if it well burn off after 2000 miles anyway. Just keep an eye on the oil level. You'll be surprised how fast it disappears.

33. jautry27

jautry27 Member

I just would've been disappointed if I had to drain $60 out of my engine only a couple days after putting it in.

34. Matto357

I think what you need to garner from this whole thread is that there are a LOT of really well informed people on these boards who have really great advice and opinions on things.

We're not perfect as a group and we don't always agree but if three or four people are telling you what you are doing is a bad idea, it's probably a really bad idea. I think as a collective hive mind we get very frustrated with people that ask for advice or opinions and then don't at least heed what they have been told.

35. jautry27

jautry27 Member

And this is understood. I just have a hard time deciding who to follow a lot. For example, I get all you guys here telling me to run Rotella. I most of the people on another wrx site telling me RP. I get some on another telling me Amsoil. When I get so many people telling me which to use, it all becomes a big mud puddle and I just kind of stick my hand out and make a choice. This applies to a lot of the decisions I make for myself. I know that sounds retarded and babyish, but there's a reason for that. Just refer to one of my earlier posts in this thread. You'll know which one when you see it.

36. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

All tuners and everyone on this site and others will tell you Rotella. It is proven on our motors. I haven't seen any sites say Royal Purple. I have run that in other cars with great results but it does not do well in ours.

37. Jake

Jake Active Member

agreed, never seen anyone running RP in tuned subarus. and if i did see one for sale on craigslist where the seller said 'seen nothing buy Royal Purple oil since day one' then i'd tell anyone looking at it to run. I run nothing but Mobil 1 in my vehicles, and did so in my subaru to bad results (spun bearing shortly after i sold it, buyer used mobil 1 as well until after he replaced the motor and used cheaper stuff).

In the end you have to make up your own mind, but when the largest community in your area and the (arguably) most successful Subaru tuners in the country are recommending something, its wise to at least give it some credit over every other google result

38. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

What other Subaru websites are you on? I'm betting one is Nasioc.

39. jautry27

jautry27 Member

NASIOC and wrxtuners

40. jautry27

jautry27 Member

My car is by no means tuned, but none the less, after I hit 2k on this oil change, I'll be putting in the Rotella.

41. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Every car is technically tuned. You have a stock tune on the ECU.

42. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I may be the worlds biggest pain in the butt with an attitude problem but most on here will tell you I do know my way around Subarus and have done enough to warrant what I say cause I've done it all myself.

I went blow through once. HORRIBLE. While at WOT it ran great, idling, cruising and just driving normal it ran like pure crap. The reason being is that airflow through the piping is not consistant cause the airflow is different all depending on what rpm you start from. You have to understand fluid and air dynamics to understand what is going on. Now the car may run and it may 'seem' to run fine. But look at the logs and you will see the ECU CONSTANTLY tweaking and changing the fuel trims. Most tuners will say well it the ECU can handle it then it is ok.....FALSE. A good proper tune should have it where the ECU should virtually NEVER tweak the fuel trims because the tune is spot on.

43. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Not really.....still went with a 2.5 instead of the 1.5 Dom.

44. jautry27

jautry27 Member

This is true. When I hear tuned, I'm thinking like 400 HP or better tuned.

45. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

So a custom tune that makes 40 more hp and 60 more tq than what the car came off the showroom floor is not tuned?

46. From my learning experiences def listen to the ones that have been there already. There isn't too much that can be done that hasn't been done already. Def listen to these guys, they know their shit.

47. Traded my gt35r for a new dom 2.5xtr and he gave me cash on top of it. That's the only reason. Trust me after experiencing the difference from this dom 2.5 in comparison to the 35r, there is no comparison, the dom leaps and bounds is better for daily and made more power. I will be going with a 1.5 down the line sometime but for now i'm content. I just passed the 6 months of consistent driving which for me is a great feat.

Still working on trying to get the dyno sheet etc, i'll probably be heading up there today to pick up a copy.

48. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Remember, I don't always think everything through before I speak it. This is coming from someone (myself) who obviously doesn't know a lot about these cars. When I hear "tuned", I'm thinking bigger turbos, bigger cranks, better intakes, etc.... When a car comes stock, I'm not necessarily thinking "tuned" by the parameters described above. Basically a "noobs" way of thinking. I am a noob, therefore I think like one.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  49. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Highly modified != tuned in my opinion. (!= is programmer language for not equal for the noobs)

50. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Edited my above post. Kind of contradicted myself on that one.