RSutton's 2011 SSM WRX Hatch Progress

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by rsutton1223, May 11, 2011.

1. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Weight reduction.

[​IMG]

2. b reel

b reel Active Member

good start

3. b reel

b reel Active Member

EVO swap into a GR?

4. rsutton1223

2jz

5. b reel

b reel Active Member

even better, RWD

6. Special_K

Special_K New Member

If you haven't already upgraded the clutch..now is a good time.

7. Jake

Jake Active Member

dont worry about this guy, he'll do it right

8. rsutton1223

So the rest of the story...

I have been at 392whp on a mild tune for quite awhile on the stock block. With over 20k miles on this setup, I knew I was on borrowed time to begin with and was actually surprised it made it as long as it did.

During a highway pull, the car started to feel a little bit off. Later that afternoon, it started idling really rough and even stalled a couple of times. I dropped it off at TopSpeed Motorsports in Alpharetta, GA for a compression test. A friend of mine at the shop gave me a call later that afternoon laughing. Cylinder 2 was at 30 PSI!!! Insanely low and it was now time to get a new motor.

Given that the compression test showed only 30 pounds, I was expecting everything to be trashed. Luckily, it is just the way the rings broke together that caused the significant drop in pressure and the cylinder walls, valves and heads all look PERFECT. That means I will get it checked out, throw some pistons in it and sell the motor. Why not just put new pistons in? Because my short block is already built. ;)

Now is the process of getting the heads off for their work and assembly of the long block and tuning. Here is a picture of the piston from #2. As you can plainly see, both rings are cracked and they are both cracked in another location as well. Price you pay for power Subaru's...

[​IMG]

I'm not right now. We looked at the clutch and looks great. We are doing some other maintenance items while we are in there but that is not one of them. Part of the reason too is I am not sure which route I want to take there right now. I NEVER launch the car and I always rev match and heal toe. I am also not going to be upping the power level very much.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  9. Special_K

Special_K New Member

Sure Rob..I understand. Hopefully yours will survive that power on upcoming dyno pulls...I lost mine on TS's dyno at 380/407...during an E85 pull. It had a lot more left, but the clutch gave out..we have (had) basically the same car.

10. rsutton1223

Interesting. I have been at 392whp ans 387 ft lbs for 20k+ miles and it was tuned on their dyno.

11. liltoua

liltoua Member

Coming along nicely Rob! Can't wait to see this thing back on the road.

12. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Worked all 11 years I owned my car.

13. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

good luck with the build!

14. rsutton1223

Teaser...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

How'd you explain the constant blowing up?

16. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Looks good, Robb

17. rsutton1223

I changed my mind. New clutch is now part of the build.

18. rsutton1223

Thought I would go ahead and release the specs on my motor build as we are breaking it in this week.

TSM RR1 Short Block
    • 99.75 CP Stock Compression Ratio Pistons
    • Manley Turbo Tuff Rods
    • ACL Main Rod and Thrust Bearings
    • ARP Case Bolts
    • Blueprinted Oil Galleys
    • 2012 STI Crank
    Check and Deck Heads
    STI 11m Oil Pump
    Killer B Oil Pickup Tube
    ACT HDSS Clutch

When we do the final tune I'll post up some pictures and graphs.

19. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

:werd:

I love how you already blew up your car and I still don't have mine lol

Those new pistons are secsy

20. rsutton1223

Another teaser picture of my TopSpeed Motorsports RR1 under assembly...

[​IMG]

21. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

man these motors sure are compact. With all the accessories off it looks pretty tight.

Makes me wonder what a crazy modded H6 would look like....

22. rsutton1223

More teasers...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. b reel

b reel Active Member

Do I see a lot of oil where you do not want to see it?

24. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Do you really think kingwrex would install that motor with a oil soaked header?

25. b reel

b reel Active Member

not talking about the header but close

26. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

FMIC piping? Yup that looks like a puddle of oil to me.

27. rsutton1223

It is...and it won't be there when the pipes are hooked up. I did blow a motor...

It was smoking pretty bad on last start before tear apart. Luckily, the block was in perfect condition still so I am going to have it inspected before throwing new pistons in it and selling it off. The car has been sitting like this for awhile. This picture was just taken after the block was set in. Clean up and accessory hookup is underway before fluids and startup.

I appreciate the forum backseat install though...

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  28. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Well looks like you will be driving that beast again very soon!

29. rsutton1223

Yep! Looking forward to it. This Soul sucks.

30. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

LOL. Doug should tune it Monday and deliver it Monday night for ya. Gift from Santa.

31. rsutton1223

I'll be driving it on a break-in tune tonight. Final 93oct tune Saturday and e85 tune sometime after the first of the year.

32. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

e85.....nice a tq monster!

33. rsutton1223

I really just want to see what it will do. Without any pumps for e85 near my house...I won't be running but maybe once or twice a year. All of these new gas stations in Alpharetta and no e85. :|

34. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I'm surprised you guys don't have more stations than what you do have. I believe e85 will eventually disappear.....maybe not cause out west there is vast amounts of it.

35. rsutton1223

I wish there was more of it. Is it less efficient? Yes but it is also cheaper if you have to run premium in your car so it can be a wash. At least it is a viable alternative that is in production. As a bonus...it makes more power too. We have none up here. You have to drive to Dunwoody for it or have it delivered to your house.

Part of me thinks that if people got on board with it...it would be even cheaper so less efficient wouldn't matter. Hell, in this country we subsidize farmers not to grow corn. Who knows what would happen if more of the flex fuel cars actually used e85.

36. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Maybe E85 is cheaper your way where available but here it's only .10 cheap than 89 octane. Add in the fact it takes twice as much fuel I don't see how it can be cheaper than 93 octane.

37. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Manufacturing process is no bueno.....

38. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

E85 is such a joke. I would never use it again. I was getting 150 miles to the tank at most.

39. rsutton1223

The car is running...

40. b reel

b reel Active Member

funny, it was always .65-.75 cents cheaper than 93/94 at my local store. Haven't a need for keeping up now.

41. b reel

b reel Active Member

Sweet! Maybe before the end of the decade I'll know that feeling as well

42. jdiwatts

jdiwatts Member

E85 = cheap race gas. Just need bigger injectors to utilize it. The fact that it isn't all that readily available in the south is what keeps me from even trying to use it.

Rsutton - Glad your car is up and running. X-mas will be extra Merry this year ;).

43. rsutton1223

WAS up and running...

We didn't have time to finish today on the dyno. There was only one other tune scheduled for today and the car bought the car used. It ended up having the grounds all screwed up and the wrong fuel pump in it so it took FOREVER. By the time we got mine on, we only had a little bit of time to work with it. We ended the day at 406/390.

Leaving the shop. I had a green arrow to turn left (and the lights were green on my side for straight). The guy on the opposite side stopped at his red light then turned right on red right into me. Damaged the hell out of the passenger side of my car. Luckily, it appears to just be the door and fender since he was in a Toyota Sequoia. Should be an easy fix that just looks really bad. He didn't hit the wheel or anything below about half way down the door. Just really frustrated…

[​IMG]

44. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

Ouch. Not the best of luck for you lately :(

Hopefully it is just some sheet metal that needs replacing!

45. Willsanches

Willsanches Member

Exact same thing happened to me a while back...I ended up only getting 70% of what the damage cost was and had to accept 30% at fault for "not paying enough attention while turning" even though I had green..probably a lot to do with my age at the time but regardless, good luck!

46. b reel

b reel Active Member

you got suckered then

and it doesn't look too bad, just a door and fender. is the windshield good?

47. Willsanches

Willsanches Member

INDEED lol..but i was 18 and i still got a 800$ check to fix the door panel of a truck i only payed 1000 for haha..But moral of the story, dont let them sucker you!

48. rsutton1223

Yeah. No bags and just the door and fender.

49. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

That really sucks. Glad you're ok and the damage can be repaired.

50. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

dang Robb...sorry your Subaru was hit....hopefully it will be taken care of without too much hassle and frustration.