Family member buying a 2000 2.5 RS

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by droobydoobydoo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. I have a member of my family that is looking at a 2000 2.5 RS.It has only 39700 miles on it and they are asking 4800.My question is what do I need to tell him to look for?Are there any trouble areas on these cars.It is in a rust belt state but was not used much in the snow(Why I don't now other than not wanting to rust).The few times it snows down here I immediately take my car out and look for trouble.Thanks.

2. liltoua

liltoua Member

A common problem with the GC chassis is rust in the rear quarter panel where the rear bumper meets the quarter panel. Other than that the only other thing is to make sure the transmission shifts smooth.

3. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

If there is no rust and the car is in great shape that is an insanely low price for that mileage so I'd look very very hard.

4. techlord

techlord Active Member

Look very closely that price is way too low for the mileage. Any pics or link to FS ad?

5. b reel

b reel Active Member

obvious place to rust but other areas to look at is all the fender wells and along the lower half of the rear window where it meets the trunk.

6. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

i'd look for human signs of wear that show more than 40k miles.

handle textures being worn on interior parts, worn pedal (or suspiciously unworn or new pieces)...

7. Thanks guys.Thy bought it.from a little old lady(for real).No rust.Its a sweet ride(not local) Thanks..

8. liltoua

liltoua Member

That's a hell of a deal if you picked it up for that price. I would have picked it up for a DD HAHA

9. Yes,thats what my uncle did. he wanted something nice and fun to drive for the snow.They live up in the mountains of Va.