RSutton's 2011 SSM WRX Hatch Progress

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by rsutton1223, May 11, 2011.

1. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

this SUCKS.
    fawk man... i'm depressed seeing this your car is a model subaru as far as being clean and exactly how I would personally do things.

right on red people make me "get felonious".

2. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

isn't a right on red legal unless otherwise noted?

3. digitizedsoul

pretty sure it's right on red after stop, and any implied yield's necessary.

Also i'm pretty sure a left on green arrow trumps a right on red, at least logically i don't know about legally. Those two often don't line up

4. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Right on red is legal if you come to a complete stop and yield to oncoming traffic. I had a green arrow so he failed to yield which put him at fault. To make matters worse...I was actually already into my lane when he hit me which is why the damage is on the side of the car like I got t-boned.

Bottom line...he just went without looking which he said there.

5. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Sucks about the crash dude. Do you think there was much more power left on the table?

6. rsutton1223

Doug's prediction of 418 wheel on 93 is going to be dead on. Timing is insanely conservative right now.

7. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

That's awesome. Have you confirmed that the damage is only a new door and fender yet?

8. rsutton1223

From what I can tell. Yes. The holidays are throwing a huge wrench in this whole deal. On top of that...his insurance (State Farm) wants to look at the damage before it is worked on and they are backed up. I really hate how someone hits me and somehow I am the one that has to wait around... :|

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

Have you mentioned your stiff neck? or how it hurts when you try to look to the right now?

10. digitizedsoul

:eek2:

how is state farm backed up in this area, that's pretty absurd.
    Glad I don't use state farm, and hope no idiot who hits me does based on that.

now we are both waiting on our cars :sx:

*ducks*

11. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

That's not a State Farm issue. It's quite the norm for any insurance company. They take care of the client first regardless of who at fault.

12. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Really? That's quite sad. I despise anyone who modifies a car in a way that a tune is needed and then when it tears up try to warranty it.

13. rsutton1223

I'm in the same boat. I never even thought of warranty with the motor. If a window motor went bad...yes. A motor pushed past its limit...no.

14. rsutton1223

Update: I had Bryson look at the car and the State Farm rep just left my house. They were both right on par with each other at around $4,500 in total damage. The repair work should start next week.

While it is in the body/paint shop...I think I am going to get some other things taken care of as well. At least the process is moving forward since the holidays really slow things up.

15. digitizedsoul

nice dude! progress.

16. rsutton1223

Progress and a plan. :naughty:

17. bluedestiny

bluedestiny Supporting Member

Glad to hear it's working out. I know so many people who have had this exact scenario as you described it happen to them.

18. Aggregate

Aggregate Member

Sorry. You are correct, Subaru had no fault in this. I was just curious.

RSutton- I am also waiting on a Statefarm adjuster due to a run in with a turkey on the interstate. They told me end of next week when I scheduled with them yesterday (12/29/12).

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  19. digitizedsoul

I'll take turkey over deer any day. Still have dent puller holes in the door of my toyota from the last one that suicided into me

20. rsutton1223

Poor girl. At least she is in great hands at WagenWerks in Roswell, GA.

Quick cell phone shot.

[​IMG]

21. digitizedsoul

thing looks like a prowler with an intercooler lol

22. resynch

resynch Supporting Member

looking mean..even under the knife

23. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

[​IMG]

I'm not seeing it. :wiggle:

24. liltoua

liltoua Member

Going for some weight reduction there Rob? ;)

25. rsutton1223

haha! Yeah...something like that. :rofl:

I thought I would give you guys an update on how things are going. Insurance approved the add ons so work on the car will finally start this week. I am taking this opportunity to do some work to the car so there will be quite a few changes coming out. I might as well do it while it is already in there taken apart! I am paying the extra BTW so this is completely legit and not trying to screw the insurance company. I don't personally believe in doing that.

I'll leave most of the details for when it gets out, but one of the things that is getting don e is a complete revamp of the 3 way active front stage. Here is a diagram of the new setup.

[​IMG]

The new tweeter and midrange will be replacing this current setup in my pillars.

[​IMG]

We got my son a new car over the weekend so I thought it would be funny to do a rig shot of it. It isn't perfect but it was a fun project for the day.

[​IMG]
    Wheeling the Dodge Viper by rsutton198 | oneninety8.com, on Flickr

Here is the rig on the little car.

[​IMG]

26. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

im so jelly...

that little car is fucking awesome...wish i got one as a kid

27. rsutton1223

Jenn and I both. That is most likely why we bought it. He can't even reach the pedals! We buy almost everything he has at consignment sales so this was our one "I wish I had this when I was a kid" purchase. He'll be able to drive it one day...and the process of taking this picture was a lot of fun.

28. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

looks awesome, rob

Out of curiosity, I've never seen a rig setup before. Do you just photoshop the boom out of the picture after it's taken? I'm not big into the camera thing, I don't even know how you get those shots to turn out so cool looking. Do you just play with the exposure settings and focus?

29. rsutton1223

Yeah you photoshop the rig out after the fact. In this case, I actually had to take a picture of my son in the car at the exact same angle to Photoshop him in afterwards as well.

On rig shots...the shutter speed is most important to get that feeling of movement. There are a lot of things I mess with but the reality is that great shots happen due to composition, timing and sometimes just luck.

30. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

31. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

32. rsutton1223

My new matte paint job. It's called Polvere di Gesso.

[​IMG]

33. Justinmysti

Justinmysti Member

Not gonna pull any of the door molding or handles and what not off?

34. rsutton1223

They aren't done pulling the car apart yet. He was just taking the tail lights out as I took the picture.

35. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

Is insurance paying for entire car to be repainted??

36. rsutton1223

No. If you read a couple of posts back you would see that I am paying for the extra.

37. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

It is just me or is the sideskirt/lower back rear door not sanded? Just haven't gotten to it yet?

Same color or a little different silver Robb?

38. rsutton1223

There is factory 3M film that needs to be removed from that spot. I caught them in process so there are things that will be done/prepped beyond what you see here before paint.

39. rsutton1223

40. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

41. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

booooo...remind me never to tell you any secrets.

42. rsutton1223

Oh don't worry...there are still a couple more tricks up my sleeve. :cool:

I have to give the local crowd more info than IWSTI and NASIOC.

43. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

nice, i like it!
    are you doing the engine bay aswell?

44. Justinmysti

Justinmysti Member

me gusta mucho

45. oclvframe

oclvframe New Member

How do matte paint jobs fair over the long term with bug and other road splatters? I had a matte pint job on one of my 29ers and I could never get the red clay staining out of it if I didn't wash it immediately. Also, grease stains were impossible to clean ( the mechanic that assembled it left finger prints near the bottom bracket that I could still see at certain angles). Hopefully automotive matte paint jobs are more robust!

-r

46. rsutton1223

I'm not...door jams either. It is not a big enough of a color change to warrant spending all of that extra money. They are in the same silver/grey family so it won't really be noticeable. If I was changing to black or some other completely different color, I would have done it then because it would have looked really out of place.

It is actually a lot more durable and easier to take care of than gloss automotive finishes. You just wash it!

http://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2011/03/12/taking-care-of-matte-paint-finishes/

My exact color.

[youtube]L8n0Zgb8gvg[/youtube]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  47. b reel

b reel Active Member

don't forget to blot with a ShamWow afterwards

thought of going with PSM matte on my build but thinking of going Burnt Bronze Metallic with a nice OilSheen Pearl. Kind of an homage to the hammered bearings and blown turbo oil seals that are common failures

48. jchon3

jchon3 Supporting Member

That paint job is gonna look sweet! I've seen the matte silver and gold on CLS63s and they look even better in person! :clap:

49. rsutton1223

The new midbass drivers (Peerless SLS) and tweeters (LPG 26NA) came in today. HFS they are huge!!! I am going to have to beef up my door and surrounding area rattle protection for these babies. My doors are already sealed and lined with Dynamat...but that isn't going to be enough with this excursion. I am going to have to break out the modeling clay and go to town on the car. The new midrange 4" drivers will be here on Saturday.

[​IMG]

50. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

Holy sound equipment, Batman!

I was really hoping the update would have been regarding paint :(