RSutton's 2011 SSM WRX Hatch Progress

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by rsutton1223, May 11, 2011.

1. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

That will be next. :wiggle:

2. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

Rob...... oh rob.

How I can't wait to leech from your skillset regarding audio when my car finally gets here.

I already loved your setup when I saw it at the meet that time, what with the abundance of dynomat and goodies.

Did you re-do your headliner to alcantara? I'm just wondering because I'm debating doing this in mine since the stock headliner is kinda garbage

3. rsutton1223

It's in the master plan but not done yet.

4. rsutton1223

Calipers are back from thepowdercoater.com.

[​IMG]

5. techlord

techlord Active Member

sexy for sure. When is she due to be back on the road with the new paint?

6. rsutton1223

It is getting sprayed on Monday.

7. rsutton1223

Another teaser. Notice something missing?

[​IMG]

8. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

The rest of your car..

9. rsutton1223

True. But not what I was referring to.

10. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Plate bullshit

11. rsutton1223

Yep...finally got rid of the hideous license plate mount.

The Scanspeak Discovery 10F 4" drivers just came in. The new front stage is set. Thanks for the help Ryan.

[​IMG]

12. rsutton1223

Ok...it's time to stop shooting the breeze and start shooting paint. Here are some progress pictures to get things rolling.

The color...Designo Magno Alanite Grey from AMG. It is a matte pearl silver that you might have seen in a lot of their press pictures lately. In person, it is absolutely INSANE. It is a matte finish that has a ton of pearl and course flake in it which makes it really deep looking. I only hope I can really capture how incredible it looks in person through a lens.

Classic Livery of Atlanta (also known as WagenWerks) is doing the collision repair and paint. They do a lot of really high end/high profile cars locally but are an incredible, down to earth shop. They are awesome to work with and hit the track on the weekends. I really couldn't ask for any better locally.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Justinmysti

Justinmysti Member

Looks incredible. Let us know when we can see the car put back together at a meet. Is all the other insurance work completed already for the door, bumper, etc?

14. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

sweet christ that looks sexy as hell..

15. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

yeah i'm drooling on this one.
    that color, your wheels / stance = glory

16. rsutton1223

It will be at the next one as long as I am in town. There were some backordered parts on the insurance end so everything will finally be there today hopefully.

I am very happy. I picked this color from only seeing press pictures. I'm glad I was right about it.

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing yours. Today right?

17. rsutton1223

Yesterday before masking started. It really is amazing how thin the paint is on our cars. No wonder it flakes off if you even look at it wrong.

[​IMG]

18. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

looks stunning

I miss my GR..

19. rsutton1223

You should get another one.

20. b reel

b reel Active Member

thin paint equals faster car and better fuel economy:rofl::rofl:

21. rsutton1223

JDM weight reduction technique! It's not crappy paint...it is a means for your car to go faster. (that should be the marketing plan)

22. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

i thought that's the italian's excuse so they can churn out their status symbol money makers faster.

23. liltoua

liltoua Member

Rob are you planning to clear bra your front bumper? Or just take the rock chips as they come?

24. rsutton1223

If I clear bra it...it will look gloss so that is out. It is more durable than a gloss finish so I am just going to let it roll. I might clear plastidip the front clip on track days.

25. b reel

b reel Active Member

there are some good clear coat options that will help but trying to nail it with a gloss killer can be tricky

26. rsutton1223

Some more updates. Here are the progress pictures of the hatch and roof getting painted in the Designo Magno Alanite Grey.

Car rolling into the booth.

[​IMG]

Prepped and ready for paint

[​IMG]

Getting sprayed

[​IMG]

Hatch with the Alanite Grey

[​IMG]

27. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Looks good. I was busy today so I couldn't get over there with the camera :(

28. rsutton1223

Monday. :wiggle:

29. b reel

b reel Active Member

can't wait to see what the front end will look like once back together. hate the plate mount

30. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

deal

31. rsutton1223

I do too. I am not sad to see it go.

32. rsutton1223

Here are some more updates.

The car in in the booth getting rest of the body paint. Since the passenger side was all new, they had to spray the original silver first before the Magno Alanite Grey so it would match the rest of the panels.

[​IMG]

The Magno Alanite Grey going on...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you look at the pictures, you can see how much more defined the lines of the car look with the Alanite Grey vs. the stock SSM. It looks pretty crazy in sunlight as there is a ton of color shift due to the really course flake in the paint. The body lines are going to be even more accented than stock and the paint is going to look really deep.

33. Justinmysti

Justinmysti Member

How much did the additional paint work run you? If you don't mind

34. rsutton1223

Bryson at WagenWerks can quote you if you are interested. My situation is a little bit different because of the insurance work involved.

35. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Don't know if this is a question you can address or better for Bryson; but my curiosity has me asking. With regards to stock paint on Subarus.... you hint at the thickness (lack thereof) that causes it to scare off the sheet metal by looking at it suddenly. I have heard others reference it as a more "environmental" type water based system. Just curious as to the specifics behind the stock paint, why it is sooooo bad, and if there are any concerns with that still being the base coat for this beautiful new finish.

36. rsutton1223

From my understanding, it is very water based and thin coated.

37. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

hence the zero landfill policy subaru has.

38. b reel

b reel Active Member

Just about all OEM's have gone to a low VOC water based paint. Saves the OEM's a shit ton of money and helps meet all the enviro concerns. They can cover more cars with less paint and over-spray loss but the only plus side is that the metallic's and pearl's look incredible. Most current shops aren't setup for shooting water based paints but it will be a matter of time. Anyone remember lacquer?
    Most of the aftermarket paints have been formulated to bond to a prepped water based coating so it shouldn't be a concern.

from Subaru, http://www.subaru-global.com/eco_japanese.html

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  39. Justinmysti

Justinmysti Member

Well rob, when you get it all put back together and are coming to a meet. let me know so i can come check it out. As of right now im still OEM PSM on my sti, but have been thinking lightly on doing a re-paint. and I would love to see this in person. from the sounds and pictures of it. It seems to be awesome.

40. jdiwatts

jdiwatts Member

Is that Bryson in the booth? Slap him around for me when you see him next... lol. We haven't hung out much since the wives started having kids.

41. rsutton1223

I'll be at the next meet on Tuesday with it. It is assembled and in my garage right now. :wiggle:

That was him!

42. rsutton1223

43. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Damn thats sexy robb!

44. rsutton1223

Ok...time to stop screwing around. :banana:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

45. b reel

b reel Active Member

46. Aggregate

Aggregate Member

That came out absolutely perfect!

47. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

sweet! nice to see how the sun light effects it. Damn that paint is freaking amazing!

48. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Beautiful! Why are you missing a foglight?

49. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

That is one amazing looking turtle.

50. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Ram air?