Mountain Biking

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by blaze_cunnings, Jan 31, 2013.

1. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Dons Capt. Obvious cape: you check C-list? Some great rigs available.

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Paleo diet usually doesnt work very well for endurance athletes. You need the carbs and calories for fuel while you are on your bike for 2+ hours.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Are you keeping a diary of what you are eating and your intake? he fitness pal app does a great job. I typical intake about 1200-1400 calories on days I am off the bike and probably 2000+ on days I am on the bike depending on how long I ride.

Keep up the good work man and we really need to go riding one day. I need a lesson or two on a Mountain Bike. I havent been on one in 3 years.

3. does anyone recommend mountain bike tubes i should buy? my tires are 26x1.95

4. integroid

Maxxis but I am biased:) Honestly, tubes are tubes unless you are buying some ultra lightweight race tube. There are only a handful of companies that actually make tubes and rebrand them for other companies.

5. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Go to the Walmart of bikes for tubes and nutrition. PerformanceBike.com

6. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I was using fitness pal but I've gotten pretty good at recognizing what I should and shouldn't be eating so I don't use it much anymore. Since I don't have a Road bike its rare that I'm on the bike for much more than 1-1.5 hours.

We can ride at the same time I doubt we will be together, I'm still not fast. If you need skills help though I can help with that for sure.

7. slowwrx

Tubes are tubes.

All my bikes except for 1 are tubeless now, Ill likely convert it soon.

If you have the money its really the only way to go. I haven't had a flat since I started running tubeless. Its pretty awesome.

For anyone that is running tubeless, I switched from Stans sealant to Caffe Latex Sealant, it seems like it last longer and it was much easier to get the tires to seal up with it.

8. rsutton1223

I personally don't run tubeless because I like to change tires too often and that stuff is messy. I don't have any issues with tubes but I run very large tires...even on XC setups.

9. cMags

cMags Member

Pricepoint.com has a 5-pack of tubes for $10. Various sizes and valving.

10. Max Q

Max Q Member

I've had good luck with my tubeless setup. A little over 300 miles now on each with no leaking. They are stupid light.

11. integroid

Tubeless is the way to go...even on road bikes but there seems to be a small weight penalty on the road. On the road the difference is like the first time you switched from a metal frame bike to carbon. It is a drastic difference for the good. All of my training wheelsets have Maxxis Padrones on them including my Mavic R-Sys.

5 pack of tubes for $10 sounds like a great deal if they have your size and valve stem.

12. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Ive considered going to tubeless on the road bike, ive gone tubeless on my sanction after some teething issues. Going tubeless on my zaskar when i build my legit wheelset so i dont have to run a conversion kit.

Good to hear on the ride quality change for road eddie. Did you run any less pressure like mtn bikers do or is the ride quality just subtly better due to the lack of a tube?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  13. integroid

It is mainly due to the over design differences in a tubeless tire vs clincher/tubular. I run 80-100psi on my road tubeless and only check the air pressure every other week. The only flat I have had that didnt seal up was from a nail that went completely through the tire. I dont take air or tube with me anymore. It is awesome and have gotten a few friends to convert and they all have thanked me for it.

14. slowwrx

I just bought the valves and yellow stans tape for my old wheels, Had no problem getting them to seal.

People make a bigger deal out of it than they should.

15. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

It really depends on what wheel you have man. All wheels are not the same, and all tubeless converions are not as easy as others. Thats been my experience. My cheap crossride have been a bitch to try and convert, i cant get ride of the leak between the junction where the wheel meets and is pinned.

Ill be spending good money on a mid high level wheelset, its not much more money for a wheel approved for tubeless without need the conversion tube/liner.

I had to run the converion liner from stans to get my Dt swiss wheelset to seal on my sanction as well.

Anyways, ive had the headaches from dealing with the conversion kit, id rather deal with a properly welded rim thats approved for tubeless use so it really is a no brainer conversion and i can swap out tires with ease.

16. slowwrx

Yeah I should have said mine are Suns that are Pinned and welded so they don't leak at the seam. If its just a pinned joint I wouldn't even try.

17. slowwrx

On a slightly related note. I just switched to a Maxxis Minion DHF front and High Roller rear.

The Front is amazing the rear is really sticky but man is it soft. I still don't like the way it feels in the corners so I'm going to try my Ardent 2.4 in the back if that doesn't work I may try the Minion out back.

This High Roller just rolls way to slow.

18. rsutton1223

You need to try Ardents Matt. I run 2.4 front with 2.25 rear. They are great.

19. Robb, I checked out your website, wow so much useful information about biking and reviews !

20. slowwrx

I've got the Ardents here, its what came on the bike. I was having some issues with the 2.25 in the back.

It just didn't have enough grip, and its seemed real loose on the transition from the center knobs to the outside knobs. It may just be that I'm big and its not enough tire back there.

21. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

What compound? Highrollers are a really tall/thin tread block and can get some squirm, especially if you are ripping on any semi popular trail due to the hardpack. For the trails i frequent now a days, i have more use for a something with alittle better rolling and stiffer side knobs then anything else. My specialized S captain 2.2 on the rear has actually been quite the impressive performer.

22. slowwrx

Yeah it was only a issue on the hardpack trails, but thats what almost everything around here is now.

I've got a set of the Capitans on my my hardtail and I like them ok.

I think Ill throw the 2.4 Ardent on the back real quick and go ride Sope.

23. rsutton1223

Yeah I can't stand the High Roller. It is much narrower than quoted and would squirm all over the place in technical stuff. One of my favorite tires of all time is the Schwalbe Big Betty...but I got sick of paying for them. Although I do have a triple compound one on the front of the 5.Spot right now.

On my old Ventana with a CCDB and Hope Moto brakes on the Betty's. Those were actually the first Betty UST's in the country. I miss that bike sometimes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  24. slowwrx

I'm about to head out to ride right now.

I got the 2.4 Ardent Mounted up on back we shall see how it feels.

If I don't like it Ill probably try a few more Maxxis tires first....

I support them when ever I can. Lots of good people working over there.

25. slowwrx

I'm not digging the Ardent 2.4 on the back either, may try a Minion on the back as well.

26. b reel

b reel Active Member

Yo Eddy, got any Larsen TT 1.9's laying around?

27. integroid

Nah, I only have two pairs of mountain bike tires and I have no idea what they are. They are both 29'er tires so probably wouldnt help you out.

28. b reel

b reel Active Member

don't you have some sort of cage of tires you can dip into at work? need a wheel barrow tire too

29. integroid

LOL, sales does but I dont go in there and rummage through what they have. The tires I usually get are prototypes or just ones we sell. The stuff in the cage are usually the low end stuff we sell.

30. rsutton1223

If anyone is interested. I am about to sell my Yakima roof rack and my Kuat NV (with built in repair stand) hitch rack. I thought I would let you guys know before I opened them up to the public.

31. integroid

The NV sure is a nice rack:) Maybe putting up prices might help?

32. slowwrx

How much for the NV

33. rsutton1223

They are over $500 new so I was thinking around 300 for a friend. 350 - 375 if listing it publicly.

34. slowwrx

one and a quarter or 2 inch?

35. rsutton1223

2 inch.

36. Been researching ways to bike with my dog and not run over him. Found these videos very awesome.

[youtube]bim01gFuvNE[/youtube]

[youtube]dm5B_pyPd20[/youtube]

37. slade1274

slade1274 Member

always loved that lily video.

38. SethW

SethW New Member

As far as mountain bike maintenance, I've used FreeFlite, Peachtree Bikes and OutSpokin' for tune ups, and spent many an hour chatting with mechanics at various other shops in the area like Performance Bikes, Skate Escape, Cartecay Bikes, Bear Creek Cycles... I'll only pay Peachtree Bikes or Cartecay to do any serious work to my bikes from now on, as the rest left me with bad experiences or a foreboding feeling due to gaps of knowledge apparent in the mechanic. Plus, both places are really chill. Cartecay is en route to the trails I like in Elijay, and Peachtree isn't that far out of the way...plus they occasionally have a Yeti 575 or ASR5 to fondle.

As far as riding, I ride mostly a Blankets and Chicopee. By the way, the new parking lot is somewhat open at BC. They haven't paved it yet, but if you don't mind the drop to the sediment layer then you can park there when it's not cordoned off. I'm hoping to take a few days off soon to hit Kerr Scott with a buddy, and thoughts of Raccoon Mtn are always present.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  39. slowwrx

I worked as a Bike mechanic for a long time. There aren't many out there that treat it as a craft.

If you are looking for someone that really knows their stuff check out Shaun at Fresh Bikes in Alpharetta. Really good guy. Hes the only person I've ever let assemble one of my bikes besides myself and it was perfect.

If you are thinking about buying either of those Yeti....You should ride a SB-66 I love mine.

40. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Looks like im heading to Ft. Yargo saturday, getting there around 11 with a buddy. Anyone want to join?

41. slowwrx

Maybe, Ill have to see what the wife has scheduled for me this weekend. I like that place, its a fun place to ride.

42. integroid

That is going to be cold! Hummm...tempting...I still havent taken my mountain bike offroad.

43. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Yeah it's going to be cold.

44. SethW

SethW New Member

That reminds me to wear some insulation around my jimmy.
    Those shorts are mighty drafty.

[​IMG]

45. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I bought a bike. ball knows more about the details than me

46. slowwrx

Justin picked up a friend of mines Santa Cruz Superlite.