1992 3000GT VR4 Build

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by jautry27, Feb 20, 2013.

1. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Ok, so my friend and I have decided to tackle an even bigger project than the one I had when I finally took over and built the 2011 EJ257 and put it in my 2007 WRX TR.

The Culprit: A 1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Twin Turbo. Within the next 2 weeks, we will start by pulling the engine, then slowly rebuilding. I'm going to do it just how I did mine: a well written repair manual, a LOT of patience, and some good old fashioned elbow grease. There might even been a few cases of beer, some un-holy words exchanged, and a few other mishaps. Here's to hoping this goes well. :eek:hnoes:

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

My father had one of the first ones in USA when they were released. Such a fun car and I miss it dearly.

3. Jake

Jake Active Member

Knew a guy with a dodge stealth, carbon drive shaft and 650hp. Easy to afford that when he sold drugs

4. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

The vr-4 and z32 was Japan's revenge on the US for the abomb maintenance wise. I wish your knuckles luck, and may the engine bay gods be with you.

5. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Well, the good news is that he already has a replacement block, pistons and crank included, so that helps with the worry a little. Has less than 1000k on the replacement.

6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

So the replacement block has less than a million miles on it?

7. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Sorry...meant to add an extra zero. My bad. 10,000k

Really though, 1,000 miles

8. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Is 10,000k = 10,000,000?

9. jautry27

jautry27 Member

By what he said above me, I assume so....thought I would make it 10,000k and roll with the joke...

10. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

But, but the joke was on you.

11. Those cars are pretty solid.
    And by solid I mean 2 tons of solid. Still a fun car.
    A friend of mine who was heavy into Conquests and Starions (where I got my username) eventually went into the VR-4 and stealth RT's because it is a natural progression for Starquest owners. Still loving them to this day. He now owns part of 4gperformance.net in Woodstock.
    I'm kind of the turncoat for all my DSM buddies... ;)

12. jautry27

jautry27 Member

This I know, so that's why I rolled with it and added an extra 0 :)

13. jautry27

jautry27 Member

[​IMG]

*Imagines Jaws music playing in background*

14. Jake

Jake Active Member

did you get all those leaves and pine needles for free?!

15. orndog

orndog Member

Good luck man... did that one have the exhaust you could open from the cabin?

16. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Nice project. I thought about picking one up. Dont worry about the weight, there is always power to make up for it. I would delete as much as possible from the engine bay, that looks crowded!

17. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Sure did. Think we even managed to get a few sticks amd spiders also.

18. Jake

Jake Active Member

[​IMG]

19. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

??

20. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Everyone complains its a heavy beast at around 3800lbs. I've seen some high hp ones so it cant be that bad.

GTR weighs roughly 3800lbs too. Both are Twin Turbo, v6, Awd (just makes a lot more powrr and has a couple of decades worth of new technology)

21. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

God I loved these cars. My brother had the Stealth AWD. That engine bay is the most cramped ever behind the Z32 so wear mechanic gloves when you can!

And also keep in mind the transfer cases in those things are the weakest pieces of junk ever. I think it's the same transfer case as the DSM's.

However when built they are SOLID and fun.

22. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Not to meaning that they drive very well and smooth. They are touring cars.

23. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

I forgot you come from that 4toegay drag racing website

..did you just compare a gtr to a vr4?

because you made fun of my fiero idea, and I'm pretty sure there is a ton of exotics running mid-engine...So they are basically the same thing.

24. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

90's car vs current technology.....for it's time it was comparable.

25. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

:rofl:

26. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Strip all the tech off the GTR and I wonder just how good it really will be. The tech makes the GTR what it is.