Any Guitar Players Here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 07Ltd#767, Mar 6, 2013.

1. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

Picked it up a few months back, getting more and more into it now. I've been using a nice Alvarez guitar to get into the hobby and make sure it's something I'd like to pursue. Well, guess it's about time to pony up and get my own.

I'll end up going to a few stores to test out the fit and feel, but I wanted to get any opinions the more experienced musicians may have on guitar choices. I have small hands (very small - 8" from thumb tip to pinky tip, 7.5" from wrist to birdie finger tip), so keep in mind when looking at neck thicknesses. I have a pretty diverse play list, but I would say most of it fits around the classic rock / alternative / country genres. I'm better at finger picking / finger strumming and don't play with an amp (nor need a hookup).

My budget is pretty open, as I don't know the cost of decent quality guitars. I want something that's not top of the line with bells and whistles, but I don't want to outgrow it, either.

I guess what guitars would you guys look at and why? In research mode here, just trying to get as many opinions as possible

2. Khionê

Khionê Member

Having a name brand guitar is nice to have, but when looking at guitars I listen. Listen to the sound that is coming out. It can tinny, raspy, clear, deep, etc. When you go to a guitar store, pick them up and play the guitar on how you play. Don't be afraid to play them hard. Bend the strings and see how the action is. I have a cheap $100 Yamaha, that has a great sound. I have played some Gibsons, Martin's, Taylor's, that doesn't sound as good as my Yamaha. (Not just saying that because it my guitar). Have fun and a great app to have is Ultimate–guitar or go on the web. They have a lot of music tabs!

3. Jake

Jake Active Member

i used to dabble and wanted to get another one soon, but alas i broke my finger and it will never be 100% again to where i can play...

:(

4. 07Ltd#767

sure about that? I started playing to rehab my left hand after brett smashed my birdie finger into 20+ pieces. It sucks sometimes (especially the D chord), but there are so many ways to play the same note you just adapt to whatever works best.

try picking it up again, it's helped with my hand more than i would've imagined

5. Khionê

Khionê Member

You can alway work it. It will take time. My dad cut off two or one of his fingers and had them put back on. Took some time but he was able to play again. The only problems he has is when he plays for a retreat all weekend. By Sunday mass they get a little sore when it's cold.

6. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah, after enough playing im sure it could work itself out. it just will never be the same. besides, i'd rather spend my money on other things at the moment like the bike and guns. haha

7. Aggregate

Aggregate Member

Are you thinking acoustic? Try to get something with a solid top (as opposed to composite). I really like Alvarez.
    If you are thinking electric a stratocaster is probably your most versatile bet.

8. Jake

Jake Active Member

i had a Takimine by Jasmine, and I've had a gibson and played almost every other cheaper acoustic and some pricey ones too. that Takimine for the $$ is by far my favorite for a just strum around and occasional serious play

9. 07Ltd#767

Yeah, i'm sticking acoustic, I have an amp but I'm not as much into the heavy stuff - prefer the finger picking jazz type stuff. I'm looking into the Takimine, everybody raves about those guitars. I like the deeper sounding acoustics, I'll definitely be going solid all the way around, though

10. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

my dad also builds custom guitars

11. Jake

Jake Active Member

i also have a friend who's brother builds custom acoustics, but they're pricey...

but hmm, Justin your dad build any price range? or super custom stuff that you don't really wanna play?

12. b reel

b reel Active Member

If want to buy new find what you like then give me a call. Keep in mind this is when everybody starts releasing new models so the older ones will be discounted.

13. Aggregate

Aggregate Member

I would say try out the Alvarez RF20SM but it looks like that line is dicontinued.

I personally wouldnt pay extra for Acoustic/Electric or for the cut away. I like Folk Size instead of the Dreadnaught size.

8 years ago i picked up a Alavarez RC10 for like $150 from Maplestreetguitars and i still love that guitar.

If you shop around you should be able to get a quality piece for less then $500.

14. b reel

b reel Active Member

I've always like Martin but not Drew

15. 07Ltd#767

hahah - got your VM, I'll hit you up a little later today. Spoke with a friend of mine last night, he highly recommended Martin as well. He said to be on the lookout for quality used ones, as you can find really, really nice ones in the 5-700 range

16. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

i can ask