Sayin Hello, building the war bride FFR 818R

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by bstuke, Mar 18, 2013.

1. bstuke

bstuke Member

A few of you I know from SoloAtlanta as permanent racers, and novices with WAAAYYY too much tuning and HP!(You know who you are!)

I had the HOK Burple FFR Cobra, which was sold to a father/son up in Chattanooga.

I will be picking up the first Factory Five 818R going to a customer in June 2013. I am excited about the journey, and spending time with a my first non Detroit Iron race car. My build will be based on the 07 WRX, which I already have and purchased as a salvage. My first order of business is tearing down the car, which I have already started. As you can imagine, most of the engine, drive train, suspension, brakes, wiring harness and other small items go on the 818R. However, there are a lot of other pieces, so if you need anything, shoot me a PM.

I also look forward to hearing the best tip and tricks for making my 818R one of the fastest EJ255 racers in the South!

2. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Staying tuned for a very interesting build thread.

3. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

wow...that's awesome. Welcome!

4. bstuke

bstuke Member

Thanks! Way in over my head, Megasquirt Pro anyone?

Thanks! Looking forward to it. I will certainly post my progress.

5. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Sweet! I wanted to build one of these. Decided to build a GC instead. Staying tuned for sure

6. techlord

techlord Active Member

sweet! Wish you were closer so I could see it in person. Oh, why megasquirt if you have an entire donor?

7. bstuke

bstuke Member

Not sure I want to go through the whole wire diet thing. Megasquirt Pro will give me all the computer I need, and a simple wire harness. Still undecided though..

8. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Subscribed, good luck!

9. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Why on earth would you use a megasquirt on that build.

10. bstuke

bstuke Member

Open to suggestions, solutions, uncontrollable laughter...

11. techlord

techlord Active Member

Stock harness with Cobb or open source. I promise it will be much less headache.

12. bstuke

bstuke Member

Don't disagree, it is just such a big harness, with tons of stuff I don't need. ABS sensors, crash sensors, lights, interior, doors...

13. Matt

this part got me to :rofl:

14. techlord

techlord Active Member

I totally agree and its no issue to remove it. Will save you around 30lbs as well
    EDIT: I've just never known a happy megasquirt user.

15. bstuke

bstuke Member

It is overwhelming. Maybe after I get further along I will feel differently. Lots of pros and cons for sure.

16. techlord

techlord Active Member

Damn, can't find the pic of FACE holding my harness. Really not that bad once you get into it.
    Since you have time just snip whats not needed as you take it out the donor. When its all out keep only what you didn't snip.

Removing that fucker will probably piss you off the most

17. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

worth the effort to strip the harness down to just what you need.

does the 818 kit use the wrx hubs? I would try to keep abs if it did.

18. b reel

b reel Active Member

While Measquirt has it's rightful place it would be far from a first choice. I'd go with an AEM, pretty much plug-n-play with better local support. Wiring is going to be a chore no matter the ECU so it would make sense to K.I.S.S.

19. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Are you the one on Craigslist parting out the black wrx?

20. techlord

techlord Active Member

Only AEM costs an arm, leg and one testicle.

21. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Speaking of...where's your build thread?

22. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Not here

23. bstuke

bstuke Member

No.

24. bstuke

bstuke Member

25. b reel

b reel Active Member

uh :rofl:

26. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

I want to do an 818 as well. Only thing is I want a hard top and last I checked they only offered a soft top at an additional $3000. I have also seen that factory five had a twin turbo version at SEMA

27. b reel

b reel Active Member

I'd verify the timing marks are correct before running again and replace all the components along with a cast impeller water pump before putting in the car.

28. bstuke

bstuke Member

Got that on my list now, thanks!

29. bstuke

bstuke Member

That TT was a mockup. I suspect the "Challenge" car will be based on the EJ20T. My broad assumption is that there are plenty of those years still around.

There is also different tops being worked on, but the 818, like the AC Roadster, was not really intended to have much of a top.

30. b reel

b reel Active Member

don't think TT is worth the effort, twin-scroll is the way I'd go on a track day car. less weight, less cost and more reliable.

31. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Welcome and that 818 would be such a blast to drive. I'm actually thinking very hard of doing one myself in a few years once FF gets all the kinks and such worked out and if they provide a decent hardtop. I have a fully WJM built EJ205 and a WJM built transmission here that would be the perfect donor. Then just source the front clip which I have several connections with to get such parts.

I agree with the notion to KISS and just use the factory harness and a Cobb. Also tuning would be a no brainer if you used a Cobb. Tuning that MS probably would be a real pain to actually get working right for a track build.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  32. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Hi Stuke! Glad you made it to WRXatl.com Looks like you're getting good info already.

I guess I really didn't think about it, but was thinking that the 818 would be ready for this season. Sounds like you'll be pressed to get it up and running before the season finishes.

Let me know if/when you need help with shit. I'm no mechanic, but I crack my knuckles as good as anyone on a rusted bolt.

See you on Sunday. I forget, you're sharing a Vett at the moment, right?

33. bstuke

bstuke Member

Thanks Randy, you got it. Still just kind of doing a little here and there. I have to be at a Wedding in FL, then fly to Dallas for the week, so I won't see you this Sunday..

34. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

When the leggy is done living its life with me, I'm leaning towards making it an FFR donor.

Cool thread, looking forward to updates and tips.

35. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Any idea what power levels the 5 speed can handle when only the front diff is used like in this project? Also will you be upgrading that front diff?

36. bstuke

bstuke Member

I don't think anyone knows at this point. I try to keep in mind the car will be light, around 1800lbs. My initial build will be no more than the stock engine and turbo, with aftermarket pieces in between the exhaust port and exhaust tip. That should be good for 300HP give or take?

37. bstuke

bstuke Member

PS. Tons of stuff for sale. Left fender, left doors, interior parts, steering airbag, dash and passenger airbag, left headlight, left taillight. PM me with questions..

38. bstuke

bstuke Member

[​IMG]

39. Matt

so it's built?! where's the pics!?!?!

40. bstuke

bstuke Member

Matt I apologize for not making one. I promise to come by in the next few weeks. I will certainly bring the 818R by once I get it back from the builder.