Opinion: STI Badges On WRX's

Discussion in 'General Community' started by rsutton1223, Apr 23, 2013.

1. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

I thought I would post up something here because we all know each other for the most part.

Some friends of mine and I are having some fun messing with people with pictures on NASIOC because there are several adamant people on there about STI parts or badges on WRX's...they think it is rice. (we photoshopped STI emblems on the trunk of the cars) They also think...for the most part...the only people that buy WRX's are people that can't afford a STI so the person driving the WRX is trying to pretend they have something they don't...regardless of power level. Ironically...the guys on IWSTI could give a crap one way or another.

What started the debate this time around was a guy that put a STI airbag in a WRX...which I really don't understand at all.

I am actually interested to see what you guys think. Right now...my car actually has S206 badges on the side because I wanted to see how the gloss black looked on the matte. The stock silver WRX badges didn't match the car anymore at all. Would you consider that rice with my car at the modification level it is currently at? Or is there a threshold of some kind?

Just interested in opinions one way or another.

2. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Leave the s206 badge, dont put an sti badge on your grill trunk

3. rsutton1223

I like to rock the debadged trunk anyways.

4. I don't necessarily consider it to be ricey, as long as it is done in taste. My opinion though, is that if the car, whether its a Mustang or a Subaru, is not the particular model the badges were made for then they don't belong. But to each his own. If you can do it tastefully and you like it, then F**k em. lol

5. rsutton1223

Here is the reference on my car.

[​IMG]

6. tallgeese2

tallgeese2 Member

As far as a sti badge I think if you have some type of sti set up on the car why not? If you build a sti suspension on a wrx then put the badge on there if you want. And about the what u can and cant afford, I own a wrx and not the sti. 1. the US didn't get the sti bugeye and that's the one I like 2. its hard to find a stock sti with low miles on it and I like the older ones to the new ones.

7. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

It's your car... If you like it, rock it. The WRX is not a poor mans STI. Its fucking sweet on its own. Its not like you are taking a stock Civic and putting a Type R emblem on it. I don't care for improper badging personally, but hey... its not my car. A guy I work with had a 2007 Mustang V6, with a GT500 body kit and Cobra emblems... Now that is FUCKED.

8. tallgeese2

tallgeese2 Member

Rob you could put a yellow duck on your car its still one of the best ones iv seen man

9. Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

I think it can be considered rice if you have a stock wrx and you put a sti badge on it. But really if a car is tastefully modded and has sti parts/motor they can badge it however they want.

For myself, I was thinking about doing a sti swap into my bugeye, and I personally wouldn't want a sti badge on it.

10. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

At the end of the day regardless of the badge or what's under the hood we all still drive Imprezas.

11. nygiant

nygiant Member

I have an sti badge on the the grill of my wrx. Why? Bc I painted the original grill, chips turned it to shit, I tried to sand and plasti-dip it, it came out like shit. I sold that grill to get rid of the head-ache...saw a grill with an sti badge on ebay for cheap, bought it and here I am. Now I am just too lazy to remove the badge.
    Like others have said...who cares what people do to their cars. At the end of the day, we all drive imprezas

12. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Who gives a flip. It's your car. If you want a badge on your car then put on there.

13. Superdude

Superdude Active Member

Your car. Do want you want. Take the criticism anyway you like to deal with it. I have an STi shifter knob. Why, because SOG put it on new. And I love the smaller knob. (insert jokes here)

To the WRX haters out there, come to an auto-x with whatever STi you have and I'll make your 400+ WHP look stupid compared to my near stock WRX. Just sayin'... :ddirty:

14. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I personally dont care for it...Kind of like Audi people putting S4 badges on their A4 or BMW drivers putting the M emblem on a 335. OR how about people that buy S-Works stickers and put them on a regular Specialized:)

At the end of the day it is your car and you do what makes you happy.

15. Aggregate

Aggregate Member

That side marker looks way better then the stock silver on your paint job. Rock it!

16. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

At some point (you passed this point a long time ago) it's a custom 1 off. It's your car put whatever badges/stickers on it you want.

Personally, I don't like badges at all.

17. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

18. Karma

Karma Member

Ricey if you have almost/a full sti swap and you throw an sti badge on it??? If someone thinks that ricey then you probably have a better car than them anyways. But yeah as long as it flows with the car.. Who cares what people think right?

19. slade1274

slade1274 Member

My car came with a "M sport package" that consists of some parts having the ///M logo..... I have considered on more than one occasion how to eliminate that badging- and it is "correct" from the factory. I just don't believe in portraying something that isn't there; and my car isn't an ///M.
    Just how I feel- I'd have painted the stock parts the color I wanted, not add anything STi.

20. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

STi is actually an aftermarket division produced by Subaru themselves so people are getting worked up over something they don't understand and not just a car make. Whatevs....if you like it do it like I said already.

21. slade1274

slade1274 Member

I thought that was SPT

22. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

23. integroid

SPT was around when I purchased my first Subaru in 2004

24. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Thanks for clarifying that.

25. integroid

STI is the same as BMW's M Division and Mercedes AMG Division. People that debadge their 335 and put a M emblem on look like a poser to me. Same when people do it on any brand car that sells a more prestigious model of the same car and distinguishes it by the emblem.

That is all just my opinion and Rob should do whatever makes him happy.

26. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Then it is even more like my example than initially thought- using the ///M division for comparison. Even if my car has more power than a stock ///M version and a full upgraded OE suspension bits from the ///M line, I still don't want to represent the car as something it isn't. Not because I give a rats ass what others think, after all it is a "fugly" 135..... it's just how I roll.

I bought an STi because of the wide body back in 08. In 2011 I would have bought a WRX and modded it much like you have- and rocked it as a WRX.

27. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Just for sake of debate. How is that different than putting a RS4 grille on a plain S4?

28. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Quite different... we are discussing badging that denotes a different vehicle.

Example... aftermarket grill with the proper notation retained for the vehicle.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  29. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Isn't there a guy around here with STI badges on his Evo?

30. rsutton1223

There are certain parts that are factory Subaru that you can't get without a STI logo on them. The front lip, side skirts, etc.

31. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

He sold that Evo..again.

32. tallgeese2

tallgeese2 Member

Rob you should get the side one but instead od STI just have it say ROB

33. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

I think he had my Impreza badge at one point.

34. Matto357

The way I look at it. If I see a car I know is pretty much a stock WRX rocking STI badges for no apparent reason I think it's kind of ricey. But it's not like I give much notice to it.

But as far as your car is concerned I REALLY don't think the STI side badge is even close to an issue. I think you're thinking about it too much honestly. Do what you like. If you like it, it's really the only thing that matters with YOUR car.

I'm sure a lot of people think my flocked dash is :pssh: but I like it and I'm happy with it.

35. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

I really dig the contrast you get with the STI/s205 badge, and agree it really goes with the new paint. *s206 (damnit too many versions)

I also think that it shouldn't be considered an issue, because as stated we all have impreza's AND it's OUR cars and style. Also, maybe I'm wrong with the logic, but STI is basically the factory TUNING branch, so STI logo'd items in a sense are like the SPT stuff right?

I do think I would have an issue with STI trunk badges on a mostly stock wrx, as STI logos should only be on STI's and matte black evo's :p

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  36. tallgeese2

tallgeese2 Member

well I really want some 04 sti seats for my 03,but the seats will say sti. Now if I have seats that are from the sti branch of Subaru would that make it ok to use the sti logo? If your wrx has sti product on it wouldn't that make it a form of the sti. Im not going to but a sti logo on the out side of my car cuz I don't really see the point. But I do want the sti seats and carpet. I think Robs car has been built up better then most stock sti and by that right if he wanted to use the logo I wouldn't see the issue among other Subaru owners. I myself don't even consider his to be a wrx anymore because of this.

37. crazyazn

I think I have seen sti seats in more wrx's and GC's than actual sti's at this point :p

I honestly can care less what other people do to their cars, its one of the many ways we get to express ourselves and enjoy a hobby. Though if its a friend and I know he can take a joke, well then sure I'll come up with something to say :D

38. Matto357

Haha, this for sure.

39. tallgeese2

tallgeese2 Member

I wish the US got the bugeye sti

40. crazyazn

I wish the STI came with the jdm seats here, i'm too freaking skinny for these seats, i came back from the tail of the dragon with a sore back last time :(

41. tallgeese2

tallgeese2 Member

a healthy diet of protein shakes and donuts well fix that

42. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I dont see anything wrong with putting Sti branded parts on a wrx. its when you just throw the badge on there for looks thats the issue. Robb, your car is close enough to an Sti it doesn't really matter in your case.

43. rsutton1223

I will also say that the reason I put the S206 badges on in the first place was that my stock ones did not match the new paint at all. I might try out painting my stock ones as well.

44. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Close enough? His car is what an STi dreams it could be.

45. integroid

And just to clarify, that Grill did come with a RS4 badge that I ripped off and put my S4 badge back on. Most people dont even know what a RS4 is since they were never sold in the B8 platform in the US and very rare in previous versions. I did not take my S4 badges off and replace them with RS4 badges even though my car is faster than a stock RS4.

46. integroid

Minus the 6-speed...but I guess that is debatable as well.

47. crazyazn

i'd keep them on, it looks great with the paint, and i think the STI logo is really nice on black

48. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

I had a sti authentic lip on my hawkeye when i had it, that was about as far as i went.
    i swapped trunks with unidub once and i got a lot of shit for having an sti trunk - i thought it was pretty interesting to see how people reacted to that

and now i have rx7 badges on my corvette...

49. Tperk90

Tperk90 Member

I prefer the debadged look. I have the suspension of an sti and wing from one but no ones really ever said anything to me about the wing being rice on a wrx. Dont get me wrong Id love an sti but physical limitations of not being able to drive manuals anymore prevent me from gettying one. Also mad they didnt make the new wrx in auto :mad:

But hey your wrx looks great either way and f nasioc, they are a bunch of haters to other subaru owners.

50. rsutton1223

The rear of mine is completely debadged and I took the one out of the grill too...I agree on the debadged look.