Yay look what came in the mail

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nygiant, Apr 24, 2013.

1. nygiant

nygiant Member

[​IMG]

i'm over the the whole iphone thing. my 4s has slowly turned to shit, so i am definitely welcoming this change

2. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts vs. the iPhone. I just heard today that the new iPhone isn't going to come out until the fall so that might be tough for my "need shiny new thing" sickness.

3. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Sweet, what carrier?

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Isn't that when it always comes out?

5. rsutton1223

They have slowly moved it back to coincide with holiday shopping. It used to be closer to the middle of the year around July. Word on the street is that it might even be November this time. I also have an issue right now that I need to replace Jenn's phone and I always give her mine and get whatever is new.

6. Interested in knowing how it is. Thinking of getting S4 until Note 3 makes it's arrival.

7. Jake

Jake Active Member

i stay a year behind on the iPhones, and i have no issue. so i'm due for an upgrade now, but will wait to change from my 4 to the 5 when the 6 comes out, because by then the 5 glitches will be ironed out and it will be super cheap....

as for samsung, i love their TVs, but my galaxy tablet is a gigantic piece of shit

8. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Love my Note 2... interested to see how the S4 compares. As far as I can tell, the resolution is better and its slightly faster. I'm spoiled with the uber size screen... I don't think I could go back now. It would be like getting used to a 60" TV and then going back to a 34"... Review plz....

9. nygiant

nygiant Member

well so far, compared to my 4s, this s4 is tons faster, smoother, responds quicker, and weighs almost nothing.

the screen is ridiculous, both size and clarity. the phone detects when i'm looking at the screen and doesnt time out and dim/black out. when i'm not looking at it, it blacks out after 10 seconds.

the biggest thing for me is just getting used to the new OS, but so far i like it a lot. i am little bummed tho, that i cant get some apps that i had on the iphone but i will manage. i was honestly just getting tired of the iphone...apple doesnt really change much anymore when they release new phones...they get a little bit faster, take a little bit better pictures, screen looks a little bit better, etc...dropping 2-300 on a little bit better is unacceptable

10. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

^^ Do you have a google Tab? if so, they talk to each other pretty good. Maybe not as seemless as iPad>iPhone>mac, but good. As far as the apps, its seems to me that iPhone gets apps 1st, then they port over to Google after a while. And, 99% of the time, there is an Android equivelant immediately.

11. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Have you tried using the IR blaster yet?

12. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I just recently got my 5, coming from android, the S3. I'll say this, I've been missing out. This things runs, well too smooth. Kinda freaked me out.

13. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

My Note has seen better days and I've been trying to hold out for the Note 3 but I'm not going to make it. So now I just have to decide it I want the S4 or the HTC 1.

14. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

I say wait for the Note 3 or just get the 2.... Not dogging the S4, I've never seen one... I'm sure it is very awesome. But, one of the devs on the ROM I use for my Note 2 summed it up nicely....

A: s4 is basically the same as a note2. But smaller screen and infrared and airview sensors. It comes out of the box with android 4.2.2.

B: note2 will get android 4.2 and eventually 5.0 software. Not worth $600 for a couple of new sensors. I only have 1 upgrade on my lines left.

C: note3 will have same specs as s4 except bigger screen, possibly 5.0 software at release. Octacore processor.

Simply put. Its worth the wait.

15. I too have been trying to wait on the note 3 or go with something else. But that makes total sense. infrared can be quite fun on a phone. I had it on my PPC 6700, with a TV remote app. Needless to say, with a few clicks i could change tv's etc in places like dr offices, restaurants...it was classic.

after reading your post. I think i'll wait on the note 3 (hopefully not for too long).

16. slowwrx

We have 8 phones on our account and only 3 of us ever upgrade phones so I always have a upgrade available. Right now I have 5 lines eligible for upgrades, worst case for me is I decide I don't like it and I sell the phone and make a few bucks.

17. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Still waiting on the review NYGiant.... Display specs look amazing, and I'm curious as to what the new dewhickies do...

18. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Every Android i have used has been clunky and unstable. Sure unstable because I've rom'd it but in stock form they all were subpar. I finally gave up and went to the iphone5 and honestly it flat out rocks. Fast, stable, reliable.

But the Android market is hands down the best....it all depends on what you want out of the phone.

19. slowwrx

Its really the carriers that screw it up with all the bloat ware...

I got Beth a Nexus straight from google and it ran perfect. It was fast and reliable and I really never felt a need to flash a new rom to it. My Note with a bare bones rom on it was amazingly fast but I can't seem to find a rom that is stable enough that I'm happy with it.

20. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Yeah that bloatware is a real killer.

21. nygiant

nygiant Member

ok well after spending 4 days with this phone, i can say this....the phone itself is super nice, with a doubt.
    BUT
    again, coming from an iphone, this android thing is the worst piece of fucking garbage i have had the displeasure of using. it is so frustrating to use and not intuitive whatsoever. i feel like i just took a step backward.

i will provide more insight on my views tomorrow

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  22. rsutton1223

Coming from all versions of the iPhone, the Galaxy S2, S3 and Note 2...this is the best Android phone I have used to date. It still isn't as smooth as an iPhone even with this much horsepower but it is bearable now.

After my first day with it...

1. The latest edition of Jelly Bean is smoother across the board.
    2. This is the horsepower that Android needs to run correctly (still not iOS on iPhone 5 smooth but margin is much smaller).
    3. IR is really cool with UVerse.
    4. Still working on porting everything over but much better experience and camera than the Note 2 or S3 so far.
    5. Widgets are still useless.
    6. I will miss iMessage
    7. The apps also do not have as much polish to them as they do on the iPhone.
    8. Wife is already much happier on my old 5.

23. slade1274

slade1274 Member

....until you reclaim it next week..... ;)

24. slowwrx

Robb, do you plan on rooting it?

From some of the reviews I've been reading it looks like all the samsung factory bloatware is what is really holding that phone back. I'm not really a fan of rooting a brand new phone but I guess it is a option.

25. rsutton1223

I always do. I was just trying to do it but running VMWare on my Mac is not liking USB debugging mode. It keeps mounting and unmounting.

26. slowwrx

My brother just made the switch last night from a 4s to the S4. Hes liking it so far but has all the usual Iphone user issues. About to go show him the basics, may try and root it, just depends on what he wants to do.

27. rsutton1223

Which issues?

28. slowwrx

Hes just not used to the phone in general. Doesn't know where to look for certain functions etc. He just walked in, looks like hes figured all of it out.

29. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

In all honesty if you have to root the thing in order to get it 'right' it's a fail. Why can't they make a device that is good right out the box....like the iPhone5.

30. nygiant

nygiant Member

to be fair, the iphone isn't quite right until you jailbreak it

31. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

For me it is. I jailbroke my iphone5 just to see what it was about and went back to stock. It's leaps and bounds better and smoother than the Android phones. You just can't beat a phone that has an OS that is made for a specific hardware. But to be fair and honest I have not played with a Google direct phone which from what I have read is leaps and bounds better than the bloated provider phones.

32. nygiant

nygiant Member

my issues

-why is there so much junkware on this phone out of the box? i do not need 10 AT&T/samsung applications i never wanted from the getgo

-why are there three separate application icons that all take you to the same google maps? local, maps, and navigation

-all next to each other are icons for: messages, messaging, and messenger. WTF are you kidding

-i have two separate applications for email and gmail. why can't i have just one? in attempts to choose only one (email), i successfully added my hotmail. i have tried countless times to add my Temple.edu mail to the email app, and it just won't take it. it keeps kicking back errors saying my supplied details are incorrect. keep in mind that this school email uses the gmail interface, so am i forced to add this to gmail???? so i do have to go to two places just to view my email??

-despite being on silent mode, the phone still makes noise with some tasks

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  33. slowwrx

I played around with my brothers S4 at lunch yesterday and I have to say its pretty great. Seems very stable. Its really fast and smooth.

I do understand what NYGiant is saying about all the extra crap. If I do end up getting one, like Robb Ill be rooting it on day one.